The Student Room Group

i dont understand why i get stick for going to a pru...

im in yr 11 at school and joined this site for advice and help with my up comeing gcse's. i am a student at a pru school. in the past i have been mocked for being " a lower class citizen" by a eton collage boy who is a friend of a person on this site (no names mentioned).
does anyone else get stick for being different to other people or is this exspected when all your looking fro is advice or someone to have a convosation with? :frown:
xxhayleyxx
im in yr 11 at school and joined this site for advice and help with my up comeing gcse's. i am a student at a pru school. in the past i have been mocked for being " a lower class citizen" by a eton collage boy who is a friend of a person on this site (no names mentioned).
does anyone else get stick for being different to other people or is this exspected when all your looking fro is advice or someone to have a convosation with? :frown:

I'm from a state school, in dagenham essex, nonetheless! i have met so many people who have looked down on me because I'm common.... working class, whatever, but at the end of the day i'm doing as well and better than some of them, and i think i am a better person because I dont think that I am superior to anyone just because of where i have been brought up and educated. These people are shallow, arrogant, ignorant and quite ridiculous. Nobody is better than anyone else, don't worry about it! just hold your head high :-)

Hope I helped
SOrry for my ignorance - but what is a 'pru' school?
its a pupil referal unit. sorry if its spelt wrong
Did my post help? Or am I talking rubbish??
I've had a few snide comments from grammar school students because I go to a comprehensive, but I couldn't care less. It's not that they're intellectually superior to me; I passed my 11+. I just decided not to go to a grammar school because I was afraid the students would be snobs, and they proved me right. The type of school you go to, your background etc don't mean a thing; it's your intelligence, your work ethic and your personal qualities that count, and personally I don't consider those who look down on others to have very good personal qualities.
kellywood_5
I've had a few snide comments from grammar school students because I go to a comprehensive, but I couldn't care less. It's not that they're intellectually superior to me; I passed my 11+. I just decided not to go to a grammar school because I was afraid the students would be snobs, and they proved me right. The type of school you go to, your background etc don't mean a thing; it's your intelligence, your work ethic and your personal qualities that count, and personally I don't consider those who look down on others to have very good personal qualities.

Same for me, I also got into 2 grammar schools but I personally didn't feel that they were the schools for me. i was too afraid of people looking down on me there because I didn't speak the same or whatever, but now I don't care - I know who I am and I like me lol
Reply 7
gonnabavet: Good to see someone else from around here! I'm from Barking.

xxhayleyxx: Never happened to me but that is mainly because I don't really know many people who went to a grammer/private school and the ones I do know are all really nice. kellywood5 and xxhayleyxx are both right - these people are lame and are best ignored
shyopstv
gonnabavet: Good to see someone else from around here! I'm from Barking.

Yay! What school did you go to? You in year 12 too :smile:
Reply 9
I did my GCSEs at Eastbury and i'm now at Havering Sixth Form College. RC = Robert Clack I take it?
shyopstv
I did my GCSEs at Eastbury and i'm now at Havering Sixth Form College. RC = Robert Clack I take it?

Yeh, Robert Clack GCSEs and now AS... nice to meet you :hello:
ive been in state schools my whole life but dont listen to em, if they have nowt better to do then make snide comments they aint worth u r energy!
lol cheerz for all ur comments u sound like nice people :cool:
gonnabavet yer it did help nice to know there r some common people out there lol jkin.
cheerz :biggrin:
Reply 13
kellywood_5
I've had a few snide comments from grammar school students because I go to a comprehensive, but I couldn't care less. It's not that they're intellectually superior to me; I passed my 11+. I just decided not to go to a grammar school because I was afraid the students would be snobs, and they proved me right.

:eek: I'm really sorry that you have got that from grammar school kids, but we're not all like that... honest! There are very few ppl in my school like that, I don't know about elsewhere, but that's completely out of order. One test someone takes at 11 should mean nothing! Just becase someone did better in one test at 11 does not mean that they are better overall later on.
They have even less right to tell you that cos u passed! one of my friends failed her 11+ but got in by appeal, she's now getting the best results of anyone in our year by a long way (she got 100% in her biology AS) :biggrin:
Reply 14
kellywood_5

I don't think saying that ppl that go to grammar schools are snobs is fair. Yeah, there probably are some snobs in grammars, but the same goes for any type of school. I go to a grammar and I'm not a snob, I have friends from all different schools in my area - comps, private etc and we all get on well, we all go out together and the school we go to doesn't effect us - I would never look down on them because they go to a comp, not a grammar. I had the chance to choose between a comp and a grammar when I passed my 12 +, and I choose the grammar ...not because of what school it was, but because most of my friends were going there...lol great reason.
At the end of the day, I don't think the school you goes to matters. I really don't think the results I've got are anything to do with the school, I think they are down to the work ethic I have and the fact that I've always wanted to do well in school. I honestly belive that if I had gone to a comp, the results would have been the same. The teaching I've had has been really bad actually - for gcse maths, my class went through about 5 teachers. For AS History, my teacher got fired halfway through the year cos they realised he didnt actually teach us anything.
Reply 15
i'm at boarding school, and neither me nor any of my friends r snobs....however, i have 2 say that i think the school does matter, at least partly....at my last school, i was in a class of mixed abilities. i wasn't getting stretched enough, and therefore i got bored and my marks started going down. i then moved schools, and my marks were some of the best in the year, just because i felt more motivated. i am taught by teachers who are genuinely passionate about their subject, and so, although i have to work, i feel like it's worth it...
fair answer. i suppose when i was at my comprehensive i didnt fell motivated, not only did my grades slip but also my behaviour and reputation. i think what people where getting at was, people that go to grammer/boarding schools are not all snobs or rude but there are the few that feel they are more important and higher in class. a very old fashioned approach to things these days but some people are still thinking and being brought up in that way, sorry if any offence was caused to any one this does not apply to..
That's interesting. I've never felt unmotivated or anything like that going to a comprehensive. Luckily I was taught in ability sets for almost everything, which was definitely better. If I'd been in all mixed ability groups, I seriously doubt I would have got the GCSE grades I did, but that's down to the teachers not being able to cover the higher level stuff and the lower ability students being disruptive. I've never had any problems as far as motivation is concerned.

Latest

Trending

Trending