The Student Room Group

IB HL Physics vs. A Level Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
fizzicsfiend
Erm, I suppose you mean percent-wise, because that is just plain rubbish.

I don't think it's reasonable, but it certainly isn't shocking. They ask for 7s because 7s are the top grade, in the same way that A*s are now the top grade for A levels. It's not as though they would ask for anything less than the best just to make things even out across qualifications.

With regards to the maths, the pdf Unperfect just posted suggests that IB physics requires "greater mathematical sophistication" which I am going to agree with having seen some pretty easy A level papers, and because one of my A level buddies said so after seeing one of mine.

Yes, I obviously meant percent-wise. The absolute number of people taking each exam doesn't make any difference. The fact that we IB students are asked for 7's is not what's so shocking (they need to keep their entrance standards as high as possible), but the fact that potentially less qualified A level students might get in over IB students because their IB counterparts were unable to achieve the grade. Of course universities will be very rigorous with their admissions to ensure that the most qualified candidates are accepted, but they're not perfect. It's plainly unfair and I hope that the A* grade won't suffer from severe grade inflation. In 15 years universities are probably going to be asking for all A*s. The government will keep grade inflating in an attempt to show that education standards are improving...
One of the main reasons Oxford are currently unwilling to implement the A* grade offer is that they fear it'll discriminate against poorly performing state schools. Since the majority of UK schools offering the IB are independent and achieve good results, they can afford to set the standard higher. If you go to a good school and can't get 7s you probably aren't good enough anyway. It's not particularly fair on the worse IB schools though.
I'm not too familiar with A levels, being Canadian and all, so correct me if I'm wrong, but Oxbridge see your module grades and everything when you apply, correct? I'm sure someone who got a low A, the equivalent of a 5, wouldn't get in, right? Oxbridge ask for A's because that's the most they can ask for, but I bet just getting A's isnt good enough. I'd imagine they'd take the top A's, that are roughly equivalent to 7's or 6's.
Cambridge are the only uni to ask for module grades, they look for over 90% in relevant subjects. Performance at interview/admissions tests is more important.
Lies lies itall lies i tell you! I am suicidal due to this course. Ib is for massacists and the teachers are sadists cos all they want is for little innocent smart children to suffer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending