The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Becca-Sarah
Don't go into Medicine believing that you will change the world, cure everyone, and go home at the end of the day with that inner satisfaction that you have helped someone. You will be a pawn in a political game. Read the current medics board and see how little 'Yay I love medicine' goes one, and how much 'ugh why did we do this?' appears. Not to say that medical students don't love it, but it's not all sunshine and puppies.

:ditto:

This is some good advice
OriginofSymmetry
Yes you can. Although, it does depend on what one believes to be a decent living. My idea probably differs from yours.

Fair call, perhaps its a regional thing, but both social care and nursing had a bit of a stigma attached to them where I grew up. Probably leading to that question.

Could be interesting stuff though undoubtedly.
Reply 22
Jawz
Lots of different views which are really helpful. In terms of law and medicine i do think im doing law because i may find it more interesting, but i dont think i would want to do medicine because its more respected, i think it wuld be because i find the prospect of performing surgery and making life changing decisions (really impacting on peoples lives) an incredible opportunity. Im just not sure whether applying and having the chance to do medicine (if i were lucky enough to get an offer), would be something i would regret if given the chance (and not apply in the first place)

Well, you would only regret if you had applied to your back-up. And from the sounds of it you are genuinely interested in both, so Law isn't really your back-up. You've come across a bit better now, so apologies if I came across as ranting, you do seem genuinely torn. Good luck.
Reply 24
thanks origin of symetry. ive edited that post completely now lol.

i really do feel stressed about it. thing is, if im not sure about medicine, should i be spending time applying to 4 different hospitals and their depts for WE, when i should be concentrating on getting my AS levels. Its all these dilemmas which have me completely confused and quite frustrated

Thanks again though guys. More advice would be again be extremely valuable.
Reply 25
Also im hoping to go to Africa/ Thaland this summer on volunteering work, not for UCAS but mainly because i really want to see what its like living on the bare minimum in poverty, and help out people in that situation (seriously, not for UCAS). Would anyone have any experiences of companies theyve been with who had excellent projects for volunteers. Ive spent hours on websites loking for some who werent pricey, and allow 17 year olds. Anyone with any experience of a company? thanks again everyone.
Hi, just to put my $0.02 in .. I was quite torn like yourself as well between law and medicine because both subjects interested me and both required the long hard work and dedication (im strange i like the idea of working long hours, just because i know its for a good cause!) but that was a few years ago and i realised i loved the sciences, disease and working with sick people and i knew i wanted to do it for the rest of my life. Just think to yourself what interests me the most? If your not very interested in science then you may not be movtiated to study for the medicine degree, and bear in mind that you will have to take continious exams and update your knowledge throughout your career.
Law is the same though (i think) updating your knowledge and learning new things all the time.
But anyway, think long and hard and i know its frustrating but stick to it. in the end to be honest i sometimes wish i had stuck to law because i didnt manage to get a place in med!
And about the project work, if you seriously cant decide, maybe take a gap year and then you can have more time to decide and go for longer periods of time working abroad?
Good luck :smile:
Reply 27
I did an art history degree and then decided to apply to read medicine as a graduate. I would advise you to think about the career itself as much as how much you enjoy studying a subject. This is vital. If you are not sure, take a year out to work and gain a better understanding as to which of these two professions is better suited for you.
I think you are not ready to make this decision yet. I struggled for awhile between veterinary medicine and medicine (hence iheartvet), but after six months of grappling with this and work experience, it became abundantly clear that I really wanted to become a doctor. It is not an easy decision and no one else can make it for you. Do not be swayed by what those around you may say.
I think with some more time to think about it, you will come to a decision.

Latest

Trending

Trending