The Student Room Group

helppp me please!

Hiya, well this is the story. I'm finishing school this June, and I initially planned on starting uni in October but I think I've decided that the course I applied for isn't really for me. Also, I feel that I need a break from education. Anyways, do you think it is too late to start planning a Gap Year? And where exactly would I start with organising it as it seems kinda daunting!

If anyone who is on a gap year knows of any good websites or whatever that'd be great! But basically what I was wondering is have I left it too late to plan a really good gap year?
I'm really freaking out about it by the way!
Thanks! xx
Reply 1
Gapyear.com is fab, as are the very useful message boards.

Nope, not too late to plan a gap year, lots of people decide to defer starting uni even when they receive their results in August! :smile:
Reply 2
Gap year's don't require much planning. First step, decide where you want to start & book a flight. Second step is get your gear, visas (if you can't get them there), and vaccinations. Third step is plan the first week or two & get on the plane.

All I did was the above, I planned Hong Kong & Singapore [first two weeks], but left the rest to fate. Ended up traveling for 7 months Singapore to Beijing overland.
Reply 3
You just need a rough idea of where you want to go, pop into STA Travel they are usually really helpful, I was pretty unsure what to do but went to STA & booked my trip there and then.

Flights & Advice STA Travel / Trailfinders

gap year general gappie website /
gap year directory this has over 6,000 companies you can search to find something to do like tours, work, volunteering etc.

Anywhere take your fancy? Maybe goto South East Asia then Australia and NZ?
Reply 4
No way, its not too late at all! I'm on a gap year atm, but mines going to be **** cos im just working, DO NOT do that, it feels like such a waste :frown: but my mate set off for aus a couple of weeks ago for the rest of his gap year. He worked for a while to get enough money, and only started planning it about 2 months ago so you'll be fine for sure x

Latest