The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No. What about Korea in the '50's and Vietnam in the '60s and '70s? Also Bosnia and Ireland too were high, I think, for civilian deaths.
Reply 41
By the way, should we ignore this conflict because there have been worse ones in the past?
Reply 42
Bateman
"but the africans have always been fighting themselves, whereas the palestinians, where minding their own business when another race and religion backed by america stole the land from the arabs etc.."

Yeah uhhh...nobody cares.
Look at a map of Europe and then the populations of the major countries. You will notice something extremely odd. Why is Germanys population so big compared to the size of the country?

The reason is tens of millions of ethnic Germans were kicked out of their ethnic homeland along what is modern Poland by the Russians and were forced to resettle in Germany.

Now - where are the bombings of Poles ?

Take a closer look at Europe and you will spot a part of Russia in central Europe in a place called Kalingrad, which is the slavic form of Konigsberg - the former capital of the Prussian state which went on to unify Germany.

Cry me a river - "Palestinians" are just Jordanians and Egyptians. It is not a war like you have implied, over ethnicies - because it is at odds with the behaviour of virtually every other ethnic group to be expelled from land they formerly inhabited. It is in its essence a religious war - which is why nobody cares.

Keep bashing your book - I hope firing rockets at Israel is worth it when you see the blood of Palestinian children in the streets. What a resistance! It takes a big man to provoke airstrikes that kill women and children. Really, fantastic! Keep it up Bateman - you're doing a good job for their propaganda arm. In fact - I think it is people like you who are fuelling this conflict. Palestinians feel that they've got the weight of the entire Islamic world behind them - do you feel good now? You're encouraging a people to get themselves massacred, shot and exploited. But that's okay - isn't it? You're sat behind your keyboard.

Palestine doesn't even register as a blip on the list of bloodiest conflicts since WW II, but it certainly wins the Goebbels memorial prize.
Bateman
By the way, should we ignore this conflict because there have been worse ones in the past?

No, we shouldn't ignore it but we should certainly get some perspective.
It's gotta be the Congo surely?
Reply 45
the 'nam for sure. they napalmed the **** out of everything.
Reply 46
RyanT
Yeah uhhh...nobody cares.
Yeah uhhh... evidently, people do care.

Cry me a river - "Palestinians" are just Jordanians and Egyptians. It is not a war like you have implied, over ethnicies - because it is at odds with the behaviour of virtually every other ethnic group to be expelled from land they formerly inhabited. It is in its essence a religious war - which is why nobody cares.

I certainly don't agree that they're Jordanians and if you were to google it then you wouldn't either, however, i was giving reasons as to why people care so much. By the way, where do you get this from?

Keep bashing your book - I hope firing rockets at Israel is worth it when you see the blood of Palestinian children in the streets. What a resistance! It takes a big man to provoke airstrikes that kill women and children. Really, fantastic! Keep it up Bateman - you're doing a good job for their propaganda arm. In fact - I think it is people like you who are fuelling this conflict. Palestinians feel that they've got the weight of the entire Islamic world behind them - do you feel good now? You're encouraging a people to get themselves massacred, shot and exploited. But that's okay - isn't it? You're sat behind your keyboard.

excuse me?
Reply 47
Bismarck
Um, those numbers include all casualties, so I fail to see the difference about how women and children are classified. I am referring to conflict deaths. Looking at injuries is problematic since it's difficult to compare conflicts across place and time (injuries are categorized differently in different conflicts).

I still fail to see your points. 2/3 of the countries in the world today didn't exist 61 years ago. Surely the fact that this conflict only has ~3k civilian casualties in 61 years while others have 10 or 100 times as many in a much shorter time frame says something about the intensity of this conflict...

right, 2/3 of the countries in the world were created through migration and by force.
Bismarck, where are you getting 3000 from? :s-smilie:
We are comparing the Israeli-Palestinian conflict to conventional wars now?.... give me a break :colonhash:
Reply 50
You'd probably be stretching it putting it in the top 100.. There are dozens and dozens of wars and civil wars where 10s of thousands of civilians have been killed.
Tenth, maybe. We can't forget Korea, Vietnam, the Chinese "Cultural Revolution", and countless genocides in the Balkans, East Asia, and Africa.

The Israeli-Palestinian wars have been extremely one-sided, but not the bloodiest of conflicts.
Bismarck

No, we're comparing it to all conflicts. There actually haven't been all that many conventional wars since 1945.

Well this is abit pointless, how about comparing to wars that it resembles? Conventional wars by a rule of thumb always has more casualties, and that includes civilians.
Reply 53
Bismark, civil wars are fought between people from the same country. Which is why they don't get as much media coverage.

Jews went into palestine and forced the palestinians out. This is why the world is against Israel, no one cares about how many people have died. /thread.
Bismarck
Total casualties is about 6.5-7k. I'm assuming that half were civilian. If you want to assume a higher portion were civilian, fine. It doesn't really change my point.

How can 7,000 people have died in the last 60 years?
Hebron and Shatila (I know, Lebanese Phalangists, but it's all part of the story right?). Massacres from the beginning of the creation of Israel (I'm not disputing it was double sided) - al naqba itself, the infitada, Balad al-Shaykh etc etc etc... the continual deaths of Palestinians today.

How can it only be 6,000? :s-smilie:
Reply 55
Largely insignificant in the grander scheme of things. There have been far greater wars (atrocities) since WW2. Just to name a few: Tutsis v Hutus in Rwanda resulting in genocide, Yugoslavia and the murders of the Bosnian Muslims, Afghanistan in General, Vietnam would come top in my opinion and the Korean war. The Israeli conflict seems like a petty playground battle( which it is ) in comparison to these conflicts, in particular the Vietnam War, where the effects are still being felt today.
Obviously, there have been indirect casualties as a result of the poverty and deprivation of Palestinian territories.
Bateman
Bismark, civil wars are fought between people from the same country. Which is why they don't get as much media coverage.

Jews went into palestine and forced the palestinians out. This is why the world is against Israel, no one cares about how many people have died. /thread.

So why is the Muslim world so indifferent about Western Sahara?
Reply 58
What are you trying to achieve here OP? let the war go on? its not bloody enough? anothr illegal war against gaza?

Israel is an illegal state....everything it does is illegal, from the wall to settlements to invading gaza....stupid racist scum of the earth low life ****s
Reply 59
No where close.

Latest

Trending

Trending