The Student Room Group

Higher paying part time job?

I currently work in a small store that I hate. I am studying for a music diploma at the same time, but I am very tight on money, but can not find a more practical part time job, as the place I work is literaly down the road from me. Earning £5.50 an hour is quite tedious, and I was wondering what other jobs, part time might pay higher? I would be willing to do a short course in whatever it is in order to get a certificate/qualification to get the higher paying job, but am not sure of the ones available?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Trying to get any part time job at the moment is an absolute nightmare. I've never found anything paying more than £5.50 an hour what so ever (minus HCA work, which is a pig to get into, and I would guess you are too young for).

Good luck, but don't hold your breath.
Reply 2
I'd try going to a temp agency, get some call centre work, likely to be around 6.75-7/hour and should be a wide selection of shifts to choose from.
Reply 3
Its not much more but I work in Morrisons and its £6 p/hr and £9 on sundays. So you could maybe try the big supermarkets around you?
Reply 4
If your old enough, i saw an ad on a local newspaper looking for exam moderators - something along the range of £9 an hour?
Reply 5
There is like, nothing going. Im not at Uni and working 15 hours a week. Its depressing.
Reply 6
I work as a lifeguard for two leisure companies & assist with swimming lessons & earn £6.20 /hour, plus perks like free use of the gym facilities & classes etc.

If you're willing to get some qualifications getting qualified as a swimming teacher can earn you around £10 - £15 /hr but you normally have to pay for the course yourself & prices can vary. But if you have some spare cash & a week you can qualify as level 1. If you can get a leisure centre to pay for the course for you this can be very useful but they would probably expect you to work for them for a while afterwards.

Plus I forgot to add the hours are usually pretty flexible. I love my job, would definitely recommend it.
I'm a part time data admin and I earn £6.50 at the basic rate - it's soon going to go up. So, if you don't mind tedious data entry, it's worth the money.
Reply 8
I get £9ph for driving a tractor. Radio and aircon are free!!
Reply 9
SaintCaz#5
There is like, nothing going. Im not at Uni and working 15 hours a week. Its depressing.

Why do you need more than this? That's what I'm hoping to do if Morrisons can sort out my transfer..and it'll be £90 a week. For me that'll be absolutely ideal.
You won't find anything at the moment. I've been looking since the middle of February and out of 11 places, not one has got back to me.
terpineol
(minus HCA work, which is a pig to get into, and I would guess you are too young for).

God, tell me about it.
Reply 12
I work in Tesco on the customer service desk and i get 6.50 an hour, 9.75 an hour on sundays.

Oh, and it goes up when I turn 18 too.
Hoggster=)
I work in Tesco on the customer service desk and i get 6.50 an hour, 9.75 an hour on sundays.

Oh, and it goes up when I turn 18 too.

That's the same as me, but i work on the Checkouts which can be very boring but the pay is great and working overtime on Sunday too is well worth it :P
Reply 14
rosie9391
That's the same as me, but i work on the Checkouts which can be very boring but the pay is great and working overtime on Sunday too is well worth it :P

When I first started in Tesco, I was checkouts for 6 months... I feel your pain!
Go to an agency. You can earn up to £15 p/h labouring on construction sites, where they often require casual workers, weekends especially, and sunday will pay even higher. I did this for a whole summer and coined it!
As for people who say there are no jobs around, they're not looking hard enough. I spent one day 2 weeks ago walking around newcastle under lyme (a town that was failing even before recession) giving my c.v. to anyone who would take it, and got 4 job offers within the week. Took the bar job, cos i get a free pint after each shift!
PSH I get £5 an hour. Be happy!
Hoggster=)
When I first started in Tesco, I was checkouts for 6 months... I feel your pain!

the pay makes up for it.
Reply 18
Azza
Why do you need more than this? That's what I'm hoping to do if Morrisons can sort out my transfer..and it'll be £90 a week. For me that'll be absolutely ideal.

Because I owe £4000 to Leeds University, and I dont want to start University this September still owing that much. And earning £75 a week means I am never going to pay it back. So, yeah I clearly need more hours. Im bored out of my mind only doing 15 Hours a week.
Hoggster=)

Aww i know but when i go to uni i will put in for a transfer to edinburgh/glasgow and hopefully get put on another department :biggrin:

I started to get training for self scan - it is even worse than checkouts but at least there is less hassle from customers, but they don't seem to grasp the whole putting your stuff straight into bags will stop the thing saying'assistance needed' :P

Latest

Trending

Trending