The Student Room Group

I'm slightly disgusted *ranty*

I was speaking to my friend (who wants to do Medicine) and we were talking and we got onto getting work experience, he said he only planned to do a bit of hospital work in the summer. I mentioned that it might be a good idea to get more than that and he just shrugged, laguhed and said, i'll just make it up, that's what my brother did (who is currently in his first year of medicine).

I'm really shocked, I work my arse off (I enjoy every minute though!) through work experience and volunteering, and studying to get good grades, whereas he (who got straight As in the three sciences and maths in his January exam results) would potentially get the same grades as me and would appear to be just as good through his lying.

I annoyed his brother got a place in medical school from lying - someone just as good - who was telling the truth- could have been rejected because of it.

is this standard these days?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not only is it standard, it's life, get used to it. Tough but true.
Reply 2
Over 60% of people lie on their job applications. It doesnt matter what youve done before really, as long as you are good at the job they ask of you then nobody minds.
Yeah, people I know do this in job interviews as well. It really pisses me off.
Reply 4
If he doesn't put enough effort into learning his lies, he'll get found out at the interview. If he does, he'll be found out in the course. Work experience isn't there for impressing the interviewer, it's to ensure you understand what medicine is for and whether it's the career for you.
Your hard work now will pay off later when you do better and get better opporunities for. Don't worry.

There are a lot of lazy, coasters in this country! Nothing new.
Reply 6
You just keep the integrity that you have and be honest. To be completely honest, I would rather get 4 rejections through honesty and re-apply, then get in by cheating a place. I wouldn't be too annoyed though, as reems23 says, if the bull-******** continues through med school, he'll rapidly get brought down.
Reply 7
DrDomDom
All med schools should do what SGUL do - at least I think its SGUL.

Ask for written proof of the experience.

Good idea.

This lying thing is very common, but it would only to be to his detriment later as he'll have no idea what it is like to work in the environment or would be caught out in some other way.
Reply 8
The best I can say is that anyone found out at our interviews would obviously be rejected and have moves made to cancel their whole UCAS process. I do think there should be more proofs demanded of people's work experience because I suspect there's a bit of this that goes on. Doesn't mean you should, because ultimately the work experience is there for your benefit. Unless you happen to enjoy medicine (Which you clearly do) you'll have an utterly miserable time which leads some people into Very Bad Situations.
Reply 9
Someone at my school did this, and i wasn't at all sad when i heard he got 4 rejections.

Integrity is definitely important, however all you can do is worry about yourself in this Medicine application game.
Reply 10
Maybe his brother lied about lying to impress his brother and/or to look nonchalant. :wink:
Reply 11
DrDomDom

And Nottingham's questionnaire has a section at the bottom where you have to give details and phone numbers etc of your work experience.
It's not worth the risk in making stuff up as you would lose the place if the deception was discovered... and have a lot of debt for nothing if it were discovered a couple of years down the line. Take the moral high ground and know that all the experience you cite in your application is fully checkable and your experience will actually help yu in your career :smile:
Reply 13
IndiePixie
It's not worth the risk in making stuff up as you would lose the place if the deception was discovered... and have a lot of debt for nothing if it were discovered a couple of years down the line. Take the moral high ground and know that all the experience you cite in your application is fully checkable and your experience will actually help yu in your career :smile:

I don't think uni's give two ***** about your application once you've got in. As long as you can cope, you're fine.
Reply 14
DrDomDom

Thats smart!
reems23
I don't think uni's give two ***** about your application once you've got in. As long as you can cope, you're fine.

For most courses I'd agree with you but I think medicine is different - medical schools have disciplinary panels to deal with student miscreants. If the student who lied was found out, I think they would be booted.
Reply 16
DrDomDom

whilst this is good to prevent people lying, i think it can be bad because i know fine well that if i had asked for evidence of my work experience i would probably have only got it for 1 of the 3 sets i did before applying because the work experience procedures here are not very organised. my voluntary job gave me part of my reference though
Reply 17
reems23

I'm not sure what kind of circumstances would lead to something like this being found out, but I'm pretty sure they would care. I mean I've not seen this happen yet myself. But within a year or so all students will be GMC registered and held to those standards including, crucially, the honesty of their conduct. A factually incorrect UCAS application, if found out, would almost certainly get you struck off and booted out. Which leaves you with the debt of a small African country, no qualifications at all (As opposed to the "Honourable discharge" qualifications you get for quitting) and a gaping black hole in your CV which will need an explanation to any future employer. Now this disciplinary process I have seen used and its officially termed "Being Screwed".
Reply 18
AEH
I'm not sure what kind of circumstances would lead to something like this being found out, but I'm pretty sure they would care. I mean I've not seen this happen yet myself. But within a year or so all students will be GMC registered and held to those standards including, crucially, the honesty of their conduct. A factually incorrect UCAS application, if found out, would almost certainly get you struck off and booted out. Which leaves you with the debt of a small African country, no qualifications at all (As opposed to the "Honourable discharge" qualifications you get for quitting) and a gaping black hole in your CV which will need an explanation to any future employer. Now this disciplinary process I have seen used and its officially termed "Being Screwed".

If you say so sir. :top2:
IndiePixie

Unless you told an absolutely massive lie like "I shadowed Sir Robert Winston for 3 years" or something would med schools ever find out or even bother to? Has something like that happened in your experience?

Latest

Trending

Trending