The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

English Language and Literature? Current students?

Hi - I was wondering about the English Lang and Lit course - how different is it to a straight Literature course? All the other unis I've applied to I applied for straight Lit, and I'm worried that the King's course will have too much 'language' - I don't study English Lang atm myself, but I have a friend who does, who pretty much hates it. Also, how would this affect prospects for a postgrad straight English course?

Any current students able to tell me how much of the course is language based, and how that affects it?

Reply 1
In the first year you study eight modules and of these only one is compulsory and language based. In the second and third years there are no language based modules as far as I know so I don't really know why the course is called English Language and Literature! Anyway, I certainly wouldn't worry about your prospects for a postgraduate English degree if you come to King's.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
I'm in my first year studying English Lit and Lang and the Lang intergrates into the lit nicely; it really hasn't been an issue.
The main language tutor left last year, and so went most of the language modules with her. When I last looked at the syllabus a few months ago, there were no language modules, so I'm not sure why they're continuing to call it English Language and Literature...
Reply 4
saved9901
In the first year you study eight modules and of these only one is compulsory and language based. In the second and third years there are no language based modules as far as I know so I don't really know why the course is called English Language and Literature!

This. Although I think it's quite standard for it to be lit and lang single honours now, it is at oxford anyway. But yes, considered the distinct lack of language modules it is a bit odd. However maybe they're just slipping in some stuff that is strictly just language and so we just don't notice?!
Actually, the compulsory language model wasn't even as language-y (ha) as I expected and has been very helpful besides. I now wonder how the heck anyone who hasn't done any Saussure manages!
Reply 5
Hello English Lang and Lit students :smile: I'm in year 11 and I'm thinking of taking it at A Level. What are your general opinions about it? Do you advise me to take it?

Latest