The Student Room Group

recognition by the British Psychological Society (BPS) for the Graduate Basis for Reg

should I just go for degrees that are recognition by the British Psychological Society (BPS) for the Graduate Basis for Registration (GBR)?

I've seen a Psychology with Criminology degree but it states:

'Completion of this degree will not make you eligible for recognition for Graduate Basis for Registration (GBR) by the British Psychological Society.'

Could it be due to the course being very broad.

I'm interested in getting into Forensic Psychology
Reply 1
If you want to be a psychologist (assuming this includes forensic psychologists), then it would be advisable to go for a degree recongized by BPS.

If you're degree isn't, you'll need to do a 1 year transfer course in order to study further.
Reply 2
well it's with the Open Uni and they have a Forensic's post grad course plus a conversion diploma.

though Birckbeck have one which I could complete in either 3 or 4 years which is good.
If you don't do a degree with GBR, you will have to do an extra year of study in order to convert it. You cannot study postgraduate Psychology without it.

In short, don't touch non-acredited degrees with a 10 foot barge pole.
Reply 4
already mentioned the conversion diploma
dg2008
already mentioned the conversion diploma

Does it guarantee you entry upon graduation? How much does it cost? Do you really want to spend 4 years doing it?
Reply 6
yes it does but will prob end up at UEL or Birkbeck
Reply 7
You've obviously already made up your mind then...

My advice would be to stay well away. Most universities offer a forensics module in the third year.
GodspeedGehenna
If you don't do a degree with GBR, you will have to do an extra year of study in order to convert it. You cannot study postgraduate Psychology without it.

In short, don't touch non-acredited degrees with a 10 foot barge pole.

This.
Reply 9
Charlurr
You've obviously already made up your mind then...

My advice would be to stay well away. Most universities offer a forensics module in the third year.

Forensics would be my post grad.

I haven't made up my mind, you guys are saying stay away from non a credited courses thats why i mentioned UEL & Birkbeck I'm sure they are.
Hi dg2008,

If you do a psychology degree with the OU (which gives GBR), you have to pick at least 75 points of optional modules as part of your degree. You could, therefore, do one of the OU criminology modules if you wanted to.

Also, Keele University offers a joint honours psychology and criminology degree which gives GBR. Perhaps this would be of interest to you.
Reply 11
unfortunately I need a London uni or online option due to not being able to afford full time or part-time day. This would be my second degree so no funding though I should be debt free by the time I start.

So:

OU Psychology (with Criminology modules)
UEL Psychology with Criminology & Criminal Justice
Derby Psychology
Birkbeck (UOL) Psychology
Reply 12
Don't do it. It's a waste of your time, seriously.
Reply 13
Melana
Don't do it. It's a waste of your time, seriously.

don't do which, any of them?
Reply 14
dg2008
don't do which, any of them?

Any non-bps. Out of those, I'd choose any of the first 3, assuming those are the best you can get with your qualifications. There's not a lot of difference between Derby and UEL reputation-wise; Derby's ten places lower for Psych but ten places higher overall so *shrugs*. I'd visit them and see what you think.
Reply 15
Melana
Any non-bps. Out of those, I'd choose any of the first 3, assuming those are the best you can get with your qualifications. There's not a lot of difference between Derby and UEL reputation-wise; Derby's ten places lower for Psych but ten places higher overall so *shrugs*. I'd visit them and see what you think.

Unless I suddenly come into loads of money therefore able to do I full time degree then yes I think they are. Hoping that by the time I come to applying more will spring up :smile:

I would have thought Birkbeck would have been on the list & UEL not lol

Latest