The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
nick90
well it was/is impossible for me to come to UK and visit the universities ( financial reasons), so i had no choice.

oh right fair enough, where else did u apply?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Lana-90
Lol, why? is city centre that bad? well i thought atleast its in a good location, where as victoria park seems not very sociable (well not party life sociable) and seems to be miles from anywhere.
but how likely am i not to end up in ff if all of my 3 choices are there?

I found the City Centre very unsociable - Chandos and Wright Rob and Weston and even Lambert&Fairfield seemed so. Whitworth is apparently city centre but is in a rather different place and is very sociable. VP is kind of sociable - but quiet sociable rather than going out all the time. I wouldn't say CC was in a good location - you care more about where uni is than everything else and people go out in Fallowfield a lot - and Fallowfield is where everyone and everything is.

You should end up in FF if all three of your choices are there, although it is a lottery.
Reply 22
thatwhichiam
I found the City Centre very unsociable - Chandos and Wright Rob and Weston and even Lambert&Fairfield seemed so. Whitworth is apparently city centre but is in a rather different place and is very sociable. VP is kind of sociable - but quiet sociable rather than going out all the time. I wouldn't say CC was in a good location - you care more about where uni is than everything else and people go out in Fallowfield a lot - and Fallowfield is where everyone and everything is.

You should end up in FF if all three of your choices are there, although it is a lottery.

What kinds of people are stereotyped to be in VP? cos FF is obvs for ravers, from what ive heard there are manyyyyyyyyyy international students in CC? and tbf, if that was the case, the halls wud seem unsociable just because they are shy lol.
Lana-90
What kinds of people are stereotyped to be in VP? cos FF is obvs for ravers, from what ive heard there are manyyyyyyyyyy international students in CC? and tbf, if that was the case, the halls wud seem unsociable just because they are shy lol.

FF isn't just for ravers, I know some lovely stoners and LAN party nerds from Oak House. VP people are more pub types stereotypically than FF traditional partygoers. People aren't exactly how they are stereotyped but the majority are quite like that. In the CC there were a looooot of international people (out of 12 on my floor there were 5 Brits including me) and some of the problem was them not wanting to integrate and some was language barrier and some was shyness. Not all international students are like that, but chances are you'll get more of that kind of situation there.
Reply 24
thatwhichiam
FF isn't just for ravers, I know some lovely stoners and LAN party nerds from Oak House. VP people are more pub types stereotypically than FF traditional partygoers. People aren't exactly how they are stereotyped but the majority are quite like that. In the CC there were a looooot of international people (out of 12 on my floor there were 5 Brits including me) and some of the problem was them not wanting to integrate and some was language barrier and some was shyness. Not all international students are like that, but chances are you'll get more of that kind of situation there.

Oh god, stoners arent good :|. LAN? Hmm VP isnt gonna be my thing then, i dont really like pubs, i believe its just drinking ur money away lol.
Wow in that case that is a lotta international people :/ looks like FF is my only option then.
Lol can i just ask.. what on earth possessed u to do russian at uni? :P
Lana-90
Oh god, stoners arent good :|. LAN? Hmm VP isnt gonna be my thing then, i dont really like pubs, i believe its just drinking ur money away lol.
Wow in that case that is a lotta international people :/ looks like FF is my only option then.
Lol can i just ask.. what on earth possessed u to do russian at uni? :P

Nothing wrong with stoners - not one myself, but I thought they were like so so awful when I left school...now I know a number and they're really nice people, the ones I know.

Heh fair enough. I took Russian because I wanted to take German and another language from scratch - you can't start French from scratch, I didn't want to do Spanish or Italian or Chinese or Arabic, which left me with Russian which I liked because I wanted to learn a new script. Hard work, but pretty much noone else in Britain can speak it :p:
Reply 26
thatwhichiam
Nothing wrong with stoners - not one myself, but I thought they were like so so awful when I left school...now I know a number and they're really nice people, the ones I know.

Heh fair enough. I took Russian because I wanted to take German and another language from scratch - you can't start French from scratch, I didn't want to do Spanish or Italian or Chinese or Arabic, which left me with Russian which I liked because I wanted to learn a new script. Hard work, but pretty much noone else in Britain can speak it :p:

Lol yes russian is majorly hard work, and thats coming from a native speaker lol. Hmm out of that i probs wud have chose spanish, its a nice language and is very easy to learn.. well in comparison to the others :smile:
so where did u stay in ur first year and where are u staying now?
Reply 27
Lana-90
oh right fair enough, where else did u apply?

1)oak house single
2)oak house with washbasin
3)richmond park
i want oak house badly because is the cheapest, not afraid to admit it :yes:
and as a fact, i'm an European student ( i suppose you probably classify me as an international student) and all my choices are in FF. i do know several other persons ( also EU students) that have applied only for FF , BUT indeed from what i've heard the city centre is the headquarters of international students ( european or not).
best of luck
Reply 28
nick90
1)oak house single
2)oak house with washbasin
3)richmond park
i want oak house badly because is the cheapest, not afraid to admit it :yes:
and as a fact, i'm an European student ( i suppose you probably classify me as an international student) and all my choices are in FF. i do know several other persons ( also EU students) that have applied only for FF , BUT indeed from what i've heard the city centre is the headquarters of international students ( european or not).
best of luck

lol i meant wich other unis uve applied to.
lol yehh, cos richmond is expensive.. thts wot stopped me really, but i think im going to change my mind :smile: probs having tht as 2nd
Reply 29
Lana-90
lol i meant wich other unis uve applied to.
lol yehh, cos richmond is expensive.. thts wot stopped me really, but i think im going to change my mind :smile: probs having tht as 2nd

my bad:smile:
manchester birmingham sheffield bath and portsmouth.
got offers from all of them

Latest

Trending

Trending