The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Drewski
Temperatures over 30C not warm enough for you?

When has Britain ever had temperatures over 30?

I am quite hot blooded, and don't function well at all in low temperatures.

I am effectively in hibernation between October - April in this country, and don't go outside or open windows unless it is absolutely necessary.
Drewski
That's because what we've just had is called the 'winter', its a time that generally refers to the opposite of summer and brings about cold weather. You might have noticed a little 'snow' and 'frost'.

More than half of the year would be considered 'cold' in Britain, that is not a 'mild' climate by any stretch.

When it is the summer, we do get temperatures that go high like so.

27c is not especially hot by international standards, or mine for that matter.

The fact that it is News-worthy shows how rare it is in the UK.
Nick_000
Or about 4 days ago when me and my friends were sunbathing after football.

I don't know how you could do that, It was a bit warmer last week but definitely not 'hot' in my book.

You must be one of the Meat-heads that open windows on the bus when it's cold.
SovietRussiaFH
When has Britain ever had temperatures over 30?

Every summer for the past five or so year has had temperatures that exceeded 30 degrees.
European Heat Wave 2006
European Heat Wave 2003

Two official heat waves in the past six summers alone. And every summer tends to break 30 degrees several times. You're an idiot if you think the UK is a cold country in the summer.
Reply 24
SovietRussiaFH
I don't know how you could do that, It was a bit warmer last week but definitely not 'hot' in my book.

You must be one of the Meat-heads that open windows on the bus when it's cold.

No. I try to spend as little time on public transport as possible.
Throughout most of the summer I drive with the roof off, and on nice days in the winter.

I like the wind in my hair, and an excuse to break out the flying helmet and goggles. It makes driving slightly more fun.

Infact if I didn't have so much in the back at the moment (which would get wet) I would probably drive with the roof off pretty much whatever the weather.
Reply 26
SovietRussiaFH
More than half of the year would be considered 'cold' in Britain, that is not a 'mild' climate by any stretch.

27c is not especially hot by international standards, or mine for that matter.

The fact that it is News-worthy shows how rare it is in the UK.

You seem to be a special case, the majority of Britons will find that 25c is perfectly fine weather to be driving around in a convertible. Many times during the summer temperatures exceed this.

I agree that convertibles are not in my opinion worth the premium price tag in Britain. Although i can see why people buy them.

To answer your when has Britain ever had 30c weather? I can remember the temperature topping 30c a few years ago. Also here's a link
Joanna May
Every summer for the past five or so year has had temperatures that exceeded 30 degrees.
European Heat Wave 2006
European Heat Wave 2003

Two official heat waves in the past six summers alone. And every summer tends to break 30 degrees several times. You're an idiot if you think the UK is a cold country in the summer.

3 days of being over 30c does not a heatwave make. The fact that it's News worthy when it does happen shows that it is rare.

I don't know how you can claim that Britain is a hot country at any time of year when there are places like California that routinely see close to 40c and don't really have much of a winter.
Nick_000
No. I try to spend as little time on public transport as possible.

Me too; but I occasionally use the private University bus / coach and there's always one prick that opens a window when it's about 10c outside.
SovietRussiaFH
3 days of being over 30c does not a heatwave make. The fact that it's News worthy when it does happen shows that it is rare.

I don't know how you can claim that Britain is a hot country at any time of year when there are places like California that routinely see close to 40c and don't really have much of a winter.

It wasn't just three days. As you say, three days doesn't make a heat wave. This was a legitimate heat wave, so it was clearly more than three days.

Just because some countries are hotter, doesn't make Britain a "cold" country. By that logic, Britain is ahot country because there are lots of countries that routinely see minus temperatures and don't have much of a summer.
Reply 30
'cause they look shmexy.
SovietRussiaFH
In all my 19 years of existence, I haven't experienced a single day in this country that has been warm enough to justify driving around with no roof.

What are you talking about? Almost every year we have around 15-25 hot*, sunny days.

*By 'hot' I mean 20° celsius and +.
Widdershins
What are you talking about? Almost every year we have around 15-25 hot*, sunny days.

*By 'hot' I mean 20° celsius and +.

That isn't hot enough to justify a convertible as far as I'm concerned.
Reply 33
So they look posh or something maybe
SnowAngel

So you think everyone drives convertibles merely to appear posh lol?
SovietRussiaFH

Are you serious? The temperature hit 16 degrees last week and we were down in Regents Park wearing t-shirts, etc and having a picnic. What temperture does the weather have to be for you to regard it as hot?
Money or Midlife Crisis.
SovietRussiaFH

Fair doos, anything much over 25 and I avoid driving as its too hot even with the convertible.

Infact I don't do much at all if the temperature is that high.

Perhaps you need to either move away, or get adjusting your comfort zone temperature wise.
SnowAngel

But why not buy a Coupe instead? at least they'd be warm and comfortable.

I see pasty-faced Brits driving convertibles that look frozen to the bone, and I just think 'sad' :rolleyes:
SovietRussiaFH

Don't buy one then and quit yer whining.

Latest

Trending

Trending