The Student Room Group

Poo, glorious Poo

Poo.- I hate it, i've not had much dealings with it..if any as a HCA, and thought i'd be fine but ooohhh no.

Instead i've been retching, gagging..only thrown up once, as im finding it that bad, I REALLY want to get over it, and although its only a small duty during the day..its really making me feel ill for a while after

how'd do you cope, any tips?! HCA's, student nurses, and med students welcome!

Scroll to see replies

to the same tune - "What the bloody hell"
Reply 2
Best thread title of the day!
Honestly, I still retch at the smell. Best tips are:

Vicks under the nose
Tuck a antiseptic wipe under the neck of your apron
Spray your shoulders with perfume (not kidding, just turn your head to the side when it gets bad)

You'll gradually become immune.
Reply 4
Democracy
Takes getting used to like anything else. Distract your mind, and hold your breath as much as possible :sadnod:

ugh yeah im trying to do the 'breath through the mouth' technique, i tried opening a window on tuesday in the sluice room, but ended up throwing out of it
Reply 5
allthetime
Honestly, I still retch at the smell. Best tips are:

Vicks under the nose
Tuck a antiseptic wipe under the neck of your apron
Spray your shoulders with perfume (not kidding, just turn your head to the side when it gets bad)

You'll gradually become immune.

you know what, i may try that!
Reply 6
anna_spanner89
ugh yeah im trying to do the 'breath through the mouth' technique, i tried opening a window on tuesday in the sluice room, but ended up throwing out of it

The thing with that is that I'm always semi-concious of the smell, so I always imagine the poo particles going into my mouth and I just can't take more than a couple of breaths before thinking "this isn't going to work...".
anna_spanner89
you know what, i may try that!

Also, chewing super strong gum or eating mints can help. Need to stock up on some before my shift tomorrow :o:
Reply 8
cactussed
The thing with that is that I'm always semi-concious of the smell, so I always imagine the poo particles going into my mouth and I just can't take more than a couple of breaths before thinking "this isn't going to work...".

:hmmm:

poo particles??

cheers now thats going to be going through my head
Apparently when you flush the toilet "poo particles" fly as high as 8 foot into the air - little fact for you there.
Deffo do not envy your professions/ future professions like, I take my hat off to you's!
Deutsch_Beth
Apparently when you flush the toilet "poo particles" fly as high as 8 foot into the air - little fact for you there.

Eurrrgh I don't wanna go in my bathroom again. Ever :frown:
whitepearlbaby
Eurrrgh I don't wanna go in my bathroom again. Ever :frown:

Lol just put the lid down when you flush the toilet, simples :smile:
Deutsch_Beth
Lol just put the lid down when you flush the toilet, simples :smile:

we have a toilet WITH no lid in our sluice room! oh gross..im deffo going to step away now when flushing lol
Reply 14
Take a deep breath through your nose, it de-sensitises it. The worst thing you can do is take small breaths or hold it, it just leaves a smell footprint that your lucky if it doesn't come back when you're having lunch.
poo particles... hahahahahahaha!
I'm a HCA and I swear by Vicks Vapour rub under my nose. Or even keep one of those vicks inhalers in your pocket for just before you tackle the poo. Everyone probably says this, but you do get used to it. My first few were horrendous, its not exactly something most people have cleaned up before or can practice in training - but it does get easier. I found that once I got a system for it, knew exactly what equipment I needed and working out the best method it was fine. If you're bed bathing a patient then its only a small proportion of the whole wash and it really doesn't take too long (although it can feel like it at first)

Pretty gross detail below...

Are your patients wearing a pad? If so its pretty simple to use the pad to remove all the poo before you wipe. You wouldnt necessarily have to see it and just bag it straight away.

I'm assuming you mean cleaning up bed-bound patients? (I work on neuro so most of mine are) if its from a commode I do the sort of trying not to look and wrinkling up my nose look when i'm in the sluice getting rid of it. I guess it depends on your commode liners and if you use bedpan liner or not (we don't which I think is pretty gross)

Anyway enough poo for now! I always find its really good to talk poo with people who understand about it!!

Thank goodness i'm going to be working in theatre soon. No more poo, but plenty of blood and guts!! Yum!!
On a helpful note, my mum had the same problem when she was training to be a nurse and she said after a while she overcame it simply from familiarity. She said in the end she started automatically blocking out the smell and developed an 'iron stomach'.
Reply 18
i used to volunteer for the rspca and sometimes the dog kennel in the morning was just bleugh especially after a hot summer night, eating mints helped. but it just took time to get used to it
bedpans_and_bandages
I'm a HCA and I swear by Vicks Vapour rub under my nose. Or even keep one of those vicks inhalers in your pocket for just before you tackle the poo. Everyone probably says this, but you do get used to it. My first few were horrendous, its not exactly something most people have cleaned up before or can practice in training - but it does get easier. I found that once I got a system for it, knew exactly what equipment I needed and working out the best method it was fine. If you're bed bathing a patient then its only a small proportion of the whole wash and it really doesn't take too long (although it can feel like it at first)

Pretty gross detail below...

Are your patients wearing a pad? If so its pretty simple to use the pad to remove all the poo before you wipe. You wouldnt necessarily have to see it and just bag it straight away.

I'm assuming you mean cleaning up bed-bound patients? (I work on neuro so most of mine are) if its from a commode I do the sort of trying not to look and wrinkling up my nose look when i'm in the sluice getting rid of it. I guess it depends on your commode liners and if you use bedpan liner or not (we don't which I think is pretty gross)

Anyway enough poo for now! I always find its really good to talk poo with people who understand about it!!

Thank goodness i'm going to be working in theatre soon. No more poo, but plenty of blood and guts!! Yum!!

im gonna pop in and get an inhaler tomorrow now..too late now!

I meant actually about just poo in general really, my own experience has just been with commodes and bed pans

Latest