The Student Room Group

Biology essay help!

I have to write an essay on...
The mean temperatures of the world are rising. This can result in physiological and ecological changes in living organisms. Describe these effects.

Can anyone help me please?
I have NO idea what to write about.
Reply 1
Well, if temperatures of the world are rising, think about habitats that are very temperature dependent. Oceans, polar habitats etc. Then think about how a change in habitat conditions can result in a gradual change of an organism (hint: it begins with 'e'). You could also say how rising temperatures could change seasonal cycles like hibernation, effects on trees. There's a lot of stuff to write about! :smile:
Reply 2
you can write about crocodiles and temperature dependant sex determination which will be affected by rising temperatures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature-dependent_sex_determination
Reply 3
I watched a great documentary on the box jelly fish last night. It mentioned global warming causes the immature jelly fish pollips to bloom because they are sensetive to the slightest change in environment, with the seas warming the experts fear that the worlds jelly population fish (which can lie dormant for 40 years in a coral like state) will soon explode.

Otherwise, biologically speaking, we know that enzymes work best at optimum temperatures, global warming could increase the productivity of some organisms/decrease it which can affect populations etc.

Many forms of plant life can only survive in a certain temperature range etc.

Increasing sea levels will affect shore-ecosystems.

Warmer winters/colder summers can effect the ability of diurnal plants to bloom on time.

The list goes on, I'm no expert but If I were you I would try to concentrate on a specific area otheriwse your essay could be 10,000 words long!

Hope this helps.

Monsieur Fm
Physiological - think sweating, higher transpiration in plants increased thermoreceptor activation - increased enzyme activity in plants - increased respiration of decomposers

Ecological - think selection pressures - xerphytic adaptions - carbon recycling -decrease in diversity etc

This is an aqa essay - I am doing aqa synoptic bio essay course at the address in my signature!
You could write 10 books on the subject! Lots of good suggestions from people here

Latest

Trending

Trending