The Student Room Group

Why do scientists measure the temperature at which half dna spli into its two strands

during dna hybridisation, scientists only measured the temperature at which half the hybrid dna split into its two strands. why is this? i thought it would be because as you increase the temperature to split both strands completely other bonds between nucleotides would then break, hence actually breaking down the dna as well as the Hydrogen bonds between organic bases. is this ok? please tell me your answer.:smile: :frown:
Reply 1
Heating is done to measure how closely the two different species are related. The more H bonds the higher the temperature required to separate the two strands into two single strands. The greater the relationship between the two. My teacher did not mention anything about other bonds breaking between bases but i am sure you are right probably we are doing different exam boards.
only h-bonds break with heat - the phosphate sugar backbone is rock solid - gcse angels answer is right but NO other bonds break

Latest

Trending

Trending