The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Alewhey
And I thought I was the only one..!

Having now accepted Cambridge (unconditionally), I've recently been getting very worried about whether or not I can manage the workload. I am ultra-lazy (Chemistry A-level attendence = 40%, others not much better) and having spoken to my friend who is currently at Oxford and hearing about how he is working his b*llocks off, and finding out that my course is supposedly one of the most intensive (Nat Sci), and also realising that I won't have done a shred of work for a whole year (gap year) and yadayadayada OH GOD I FAIL AT LIFE...

Yeah I'm being idiotic and panicky, but everyone gets pre-uni nerves right? Still some of these responses are reassuring, thanks peoples.

If you're attendence was that bad and it was due to lazyness (which you seem to suggest it was) and you still got into Cambridge, then actually I would think yourself lucky, it probably means that you wont have to work as hard as some people. I dont want to sound harsh but I just get a bit annoyed about the 'I got into Cambridge but dont know if I really want to bother to work hard' kind of attitude, just think how many people apply that *really* want it and are prepared to work their socks off and still dont get in!
Reply 81
svidrigailov
I wore everyday clothes: chinos, a shirt, and a sweater.

:dito:
Reply 82
puppy
Yeah, us Cambridge students talk real good.

innit
magicalsausage
I only met two other people being interviewed at Christ's, both for English. One of them did actually piss me off slightly by trying to rush-read a book by an author he had put down on his Personal Statement literally minutes before his interview.

One of my fellow prospective engineers ask to borrow my prospectus so he could find out about the course :rolleyes:. Thought it was probably a bit late, but lent it to him anyway - I'm not expecting to meet him in October!
Reply 83
TakemetoAvalon
I met some quite...er.... pretentious people at my int. It was all rather scary.

they were all wearing suits... including the girls... and they were using these long words that I didn't understand :bawling:

wearing a suit doesnt make you pretentious. you have to as school uniform in a lot of schools. So it makes sense to wear it to an interview considering you dress like that everyday at school.

Using big words can be pretentious...unless you were there for an englsih interview
Reply 84
zip it123
wearing a suit doesnt make you pretentious. you have to as school uniform in a lot of schools. So it makes sense to wear it to an interview considering you dress like that everyday at school.

Using big words can be pretentious...unless you were there for an englsih interview

Using big words doesn't make you pretentious. You have to at a lot of schools. So it makes sense to do so at interview considering you speak like that everyday at school.

Sorry :biggrin:
Reply 85
I like big words :smile:...I'm by no means pretentious :wink:
Jenny...
If you're attendence was that bad and it was due to lazyness (which you seem to suggest it was) and you still got into Cambridge, then actually I would think yourself lucky, it probably means that you wont have to work as hard as some people. I dont want to sound harsh but I just get a bit annoyed about the 'I got into Cambridge but dont know if I really want to bother to work hard' kind of attitude, just think how many people apply that *really* want it and are prepared to work their socks off and still dont get in!

this is very true that lots of people are prepared to work 24/7 if they gain a place.

But I think his 40% in Chemistry reflects that he's good at the subject, and so its no point turning up to the lessons if you know the syllabus off by heart already?
Ticki
I've had worse, namely someone from a certain public school saying, "oh, a comprehensive? I didn't realise they still did those!". *snort snort*

Deary me. No wonder he was an Oxford-reject.

*grins* what an idiot!
I stopped turning up to one of my English lessons long ago. The teacher was making us write irrelevant essays that had nothing to do with the course, so I went to see the sixth form English co-ordinator and did my coursework in the time instead. I got it done and got full marks, other people didn't. Attendance percentages aren't everything. If anyone bothered to do the register, it'd show that I've been to the class three times since December, each time to assure the teacher that I'm doing lots of work. I have worked very hard, and I will work very hard at Cambridge should I get my grades... I expect the tutors there won't be discussing the finer points of buying cheap sunglasses in Cyprus, anyway...

As for people doing strange things at interview, there’s more on that boy I mentioned earlier. This would suggest to me, Rhian, that he wouldn't have got a place. He'd mentioned that he loved Dickens on his CAF form and his subject interview was with Dr. Schramm, who is an expert in Victorian Literature... Dickens then. I didn't mention him at all on my UCAS form or CAF but still, we talked about him. I discussed him as a an example of how journalism can be effective, it being a field I'm very interested in, and she smiled and said she'd read the same article I had. This boy though... heh... I said to him, so do you love Dickens? He told me no, he hadn't read anything by the guy. Oh, I said, you do realise she's an expert? Yeah...

See me, I never really saw the point in lying about it.
i hate my school - they told me off for not turning up to maths lessons, all they are doing is simple vectors.......
Reply 90
My Economics teacher is terrible...I self taught myself AS and A2. I haven't done a piece of her pathetic homework since November. She still has not noticed.
darkenergy
i hate my school - they told me off for not turning up to maths lessons, all they are doing is simple vectors.......

I hate you. I can't bloody do vectors. AND THEY'RE EVERYWHERE.
Reply 92
I spent five hours doing vectors yesterday night...the only thing that kept me going was that it was the last Excercise of the last chapter of P3. :frown:
Charlottie
I hate you. I can't bloody do vectors. AND THEY'RE EVERYWHERE.

:p: we shouldnt be on TSR, instead we should be working.
minimo
I spent five hours doing vectors yesterday night...the only thing that kept me going was that it was the last Excercise of the last chapter of P3. :frown:

lol. Maths is boring at A-level. :frown:
zip it123

Yes... but I didn't say they were pretentious because of their suits/ longs words.

It was their attitudes.

Maybe they weren't pretentious, and I'm the pretentious one for thinking that they're pretentious and I'm not pretentious.

The world is round, I guess.
Reply 96
darkenergy

I'm doing both - trying to multi-task :wink:
vectors are godly, P3 vectors are stupidly easy, wait till you have to do really hard vector stuff, woo.

anyways.

They always say wear what you feel confortable in to an interview. You all knew what the situation would be like and therefore some people wouldn't have felt confortable unless they were in a suit. People wearing a suit to interview doesn't make cambridge a snobby place. All those years ago, when I had open days for students with offers and other interviews at other unis, namely bath and southampton, many worse suits there. so neerrrrrr. For the record, I wore jeans and t-shirt to all.

And that bloke boasting about his 40% attendance rate, well done. I tought myself 2 physics modules, so go me. basically, you will have to do some work if you're not going to fail (something i am likely to do) so you might as well learn what it's like now.

That is all.
darkenergy

Well, really, I should be packing. I'm off to the Western Front to be educational tomorrow. I don't like packing though. :frown:
Reply 99
lordofthepies
vectors are godly, P3 vectors are stupidly easy, wait till you have to do really hard vector stuff, woo.

anyways.

They always say wear what you feel confortable in to an interview. You all knew what the situation would be like and therefore some people wouldn't have felt confortable unless they were in a suit. People wearing a suit to interview doesn't make cambridge a snobby place. All those years ago, when I had open days for students with offers and other interviews at other unis, namely bath and southampton, many worse suits there. so neerrrrrr. For the record, I wore jeans and t-shirt to all.

And that bloke boasting about his 40% attendance rate, well done. I tought myself 2 physics modules, so go me. basically, you will have to do some work if you're not going to fail (something i am likely to do) so you might as well learn what it's like now.

That is all.

Yes.... Vector Curl or something...

Latest

Trending

Trending