The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Theatre/Drama Soc

Had a look at the Student Guild website and couldn't seem to find any information on whether this existed? They had "footlights" but the website is broken.

I've heard that these kind of Soc's are often hard to get involved with as they are cliquey etc.

I'm (hopefully) going to be coming to Exeter to sutdy English but want to do an MA in Theatre Directing afterwards so I really need experience, but am worried it'll be hard to get involved/will be dominated by Drama BA students etc,?

Anyone got any information on this or know anything?

Thanks
Gx
Reply 1
Exeter has footlights =musicals, EUTCO (exeter uni theatre company)= all sorts of drama, Theatre with teeth = tends to do drama that's a bit grittier, hence the "teeth" & Gilbert & Sullivan Soc. Think that's all of them, please correct me though. Think you have to audition for parts, but not to actually join the society. All productions are widely advertised - I'm an English student & we always get e-mails about auditions/opportunities to help out. There are also loads of opportunities to do tech work, directing etc, you just have to get in with the company. Obviously there are lots of drama students in these groups, but there are lots of others too. One of my housemates does physics in he's in EUTCO & does all the art work for them. Just sign up at the squash, go along to the auditions, talk to the committee about how to go about getting involved.

Others may have more info, but my advice would just be get in there in your first year, audition for things, offer to help & then you'll be part of the clique rather than outside it.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
You do have to audition to join as well afaik, and the auditions are difficult - certainly my Footlights one was very hard and I can't imagine much has changed in 4 years. I took Drama A Level & have Grade V voice but my dancing let me down lol. Very very tough.
Reply 3
Yeah I have a friend in Footlights and its very tough to get in. I know people who are studying for a drama degree and obviously really good, but didnt get in. I have no idea whether all the drama societies are as competitive as Footlights though.

Latest

Trending

Trending