The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Do you know which uni's are likely to go through adjustment. Is it going to be similar to the ones offering clearing?

I have firmed Royal Holloway, but im also looking at UCL, LSE (both of which will not participate), KCL, Southampton and Exeter as other options.
Reply 21
LJBzzz
Do you know which uni's are likely to go through adjustment. Is it going to be similar to the ones offering clearing?

I have firmed Royal Holloway, but im also looking at UCL, LSE (both of which will not participate), KCL, Southampton and Exeter as other options.

The probability of all those unis being in Adjustment is high enough to justify the cost of a phone call.
Reply 22
Thanks I think KCL will be, but I am not so sure about Southampton which is the university I really want to go to.
Reply 23
It might help to look on Extra, just to see which courses are still available and where :smile:
Reply 24
Mijdge
It might help to look on Extra, just to see which courses are still available and where :smile:
It's a good start, but not a guarantee that places will be available in Adjustment or Clearing.
Reply 25
LJBzzz
Thanks I think KCL will be, but I am not so sure about Southampton which is the university I really want to go to.

Not sure that EXTRA list will be of use in predicting what unis will be in Adjustment. EXTRA list contains those unis that did not get enough applicants before the January closing date. However Adjustment unis will be mainly those who thought they had made enough offers but got a lower student acceptance rate than expected and now are short of students.
Reply 26
Paulwhy
Not sure that EXTRA list will be of use in predicting what unis will be in Adjustment. EXTRA list contains those unis that did not get enough applicants before the January closing date. However Adjustment unis will be mainly those who thought they had made enough offers but got a lower student acceptance rate than expected and now are short of students.
That will be true of the AAA unis, but not necessarily further down the pecking order. For instance, Lancaster - which has pretty much all its courses in Extra and had quite a lot in Clearing last year (though all places were taken by the end of the weekend after Results Day) - might very well be interested in the student who got ABB instead of BBB. Some of their courses have standard entry requirements of BBB or even BBC, so the student who achieved that instead of the BCC required for their firm might also be in the running.

This is what Adjustment was designed for. It's not meant to deal with the problem of the AAA student getting rejected for law or economics from the top ten unis. It's meant to provide for the applicants whose aspirations were lower than they needed to be, partly because of the advice they were getting at school/college, and partly because their predicted grades were under-estimated.
Reply 27
Minerva
That will be true of the AAA unis, but necessarily further down the pecking order. For instance, Lancaster - which has pretty much all its courses in Extra and had quite a lot in Clearing last year (though all places were taken by the end of the weekend after Results Day) - might very well be interested in the student who got ABB instead of BBB. Some of their courses have standard entry requirements of BBB or even BBC, so the student who achieved that instead of the BCC required for their firm might also be in the running.

This is what Adjustment was designed for. It's not meant to deal with the problem of the AAA student getting rejected for law or economics from the top ten unis. It's meant to provide for the applicants whose aspirations were lower than they needed to be, partly because of the advice they were getting at school/college, and partly because their predicted grades were under-estimated.

Regarding this I would possibly be in quite a good position. I am predicted AAA, but my course is just ABB. I will qualify for adjustment, but unless I could go to Southampton I would not consider swapping anyway. I doubt soton will be in adjustment for Geog though.
Reply 28
Minerva
That will be true of the AAA unis, but not necessarily further down the pecking order. For instance, Lancaster - which has pretty much all its courses in Extra and had quite a lot in Clearing last year (though all places were taken by the end of the weekend after Results Day) - might very well be interested in the student who got ABB instead of BBB. Some of their courses have standard entry requirements of BBB or even BBC, so the student who achieved that instead of the BCC required for their firm might also be in the running.

My less than well expressed comments were referring to those courses in Adjustment but not Clearing. So your comments about universities that are in Clearing also being in Adjustment are of course correct.

Latest

Trending

Trending