The Student Room Group

Advanced Highes

Im about to make my course coices for 6th year and needed a bit of advice. I am currently doing Higher Maths, English, Modern Studies, Chemistry and Biology. For next year I was thinking of choosing Advance Higher Chemistry, Advance Higher Biology and either Advance Higher Modern Studies or Higher Business Managment. Do you think it would be better to take Advance Higher Modern Studies over Higher Business?

Are 3 Advance Highers need for medicine? Im planning to apply to a scottish uni.

Scroll to see replies

I'm no expert on the Modern Studies/Business front but I know that you don't need to be doing 3 AH's for medicine.

Personally, I know many people (all ny friends are applying to do medicine) who are doing either three AH's or 2 AH's (usually bio and chem) with two highers.

If you are planning to apply to England and change your mind I would undoubtedly take the 3 AH's though. :smile:
What theme does your school do for AH Mods? Ours does Law and Order and it is deadly boring, so I couldn't advise it.

On the other hand, I've heard lots of people find BM boring too, esp. if it's a crash.

AH English ftw! =)
What theme does your school do for AH Mods? Ours does Law and Order and it is deadly boring, so I couldn't advise it.

On the other hand, I've heard lots of people find BM boring too, esp. if it's a crash.

AH English ftw! =)
Reply 4
I think our school does comparitive politics but im not 100 percent sure. I'm not really fussed about either but im worried I would be at a disadvantage if I done 2AH and H compared to someone who has done 3 AH
chelski786
Im about to make my course coices for 6th year and needed a bit of advice. I am currently doing Higher Maths, English, Modern Studies, Chemistry and Biology. For next year I was thinking of choosing Advance Higher Chemistry, Advance Higher Biology and either Advance Higher Modern Studies or Higher Business Managment. Do you think it would be better to take Advance Higher Modern Studies over Higher Business?

Are 3 Advance Highers need for medicine? Im planning to apply to a scottish uni.

No, 3 Advanced Highers are not needed. Do at least 2, and you'll be fine. You'll most likely get unconditionals anyway, apart from Glasgow. It's not exactly "better" to take the Advanced over the Higher, just take what you think you would enjoy more.
i didn't know advanced highers were that common until i joined tsr :biggrin:
in my school if you do 5 highers in 5th year then you are a genius and if you manage to reach to one advanced higher or two (on boy is doing 2 this year) then you are einstein!
Reply 7
OriginofSymmetry
No, 3 Advanced Highers are not needed. Do at least 2, and you'll be fine. You'll most likely get unconditionals anyway, apart from Glasgow. It's not exactly "better" to take the Advanced over the Higher, just take what you think you would enjoy more.

Do most people really get unconditionals?

If I got AAAAB or AAABB is it likely I would get an unconditional from Edinburgh or maybe St. Andrews for example (I prefer Edinburgh) not to do anything like Medicine, just to do mechanical or electrical engineering or physics?
Reply 8
CJN

If I got AAAAB or AAABB is it likely I would get an unconditional from Edinburgh or maybe St. Andrews for example (I prefer Edinburgh) not to do anything like Medicine, just to do mechanical or electrical engineering or physics?

Yup, the highers are the entrance exams for the unis in scotland, most courses at edinburgh are BBBB minimum if i remember so AAAAB and your in a very strong place for applying to do physics/engineering. Edinburgh look a lot at the PS so ace that and youll be fine.
Reply 9
sjames06
Yup, the highers are the entrance exams for the unis in scotland, most courses at edinburgh are BBBB minimum if i remember so AAAAB and your in a very strong place for applying to do physics/engineering. Edinburgh look a lot at the PS so ace that and youll be fine.

Ah nice one thanks, I was under the impression you had to be amazing eg 5 As and then perfect PS to get an unconditional. Thanks for the advice :smile: I know though most courses at edinburgh are BBBB from the prospectus, but my parents say those are the absolute minimum and with them it would be tough to get in - which makes sense since other unis like glasgow have higher requirements.
crème_de_la_crème
i didn't know advanced highers were that common until i joined tsr :biggrin:
in my school if you do 5 highers in 5th year then you are a genius and if you manage to reach to one advanced higher or two (on boy is doing 2 this year) then you are einstein!

I think that's the same everywhere really. TSR is a special place :p:
Reply 11
CJN
Ah nice one thanks, I was under the impression you had to be amazing eg 5 As and then perfect PS to get an unconditional. Thanks for the advice :smile: I know though most courses at edinburgh are BBBB from the prospectus, but my parents say those are the absolute minimum and with them it would be tough to get in - which makes sense since other unis like glasgow have higher requirements.

From what I understand, the grades get you past the first hurdle.. people with five A's have been rejected when those with BBBB have been accepted. From what people have said and my friends experiences, there seems to be a lot of emphasis on the PS. And with your SG's and the higher a year early (what one was it if you dont mind me asking), I'm sure you will be fine this time next year.
Reply 12
It was H Computing, not the best subject I know - you don't even need it to do computer science, and I don't want to do that anyway :tongue: But hopefully I can say in my PS about showing how hard I can work if I try/I work hard.

I am guessing I can't make it count towards the BBBB (I can definitely get this) since it was a different sitting. I heard that about the PS at edinburgh as well - but I have a lot of ideas on what I can say. I genuinely love both engineering and physics + edinburgh is amazing anyway. Thanks for all your advice clears up a lot of things :smile:
CJN

I've heard here on TSR that they have changed the entry requirements of physics at St Andrews to AAAAA, website hasn't been updated in a while though so I haven't been able to confirm this. You wouldn't get a conditional though if you had lower than that applying there, you'd likely just get rejected assuming it is now AAAAA
Reply 14
Apparently Glasgow don't give a toss about personal statements (apart from medicine of course) they just want you to have the grades.
I was the only person in my year who did 3AHs (maths, bio and chem) and I was applying to study pharmacy. I wouldnt really recommend it (not maths anyway, load of imaginary numbers etc, waste of time unless you plan to go and teach advanced higher maths lol). However, I would recommend the biology and chemistry for a head start on science degrees - my first year pharmacy was pretty much what I'd done at advanced higher, so I understood it a lot better the second time round.
Danielle89
(not maths anyway, load of imaginary numbers etc, waste of time unless you plan to go and teach advanced higher maths lol).

Or study any physical science, engineering or informatics subject (in particular, complex numbers have very useful applications in all of these). If AH maths is missing for any of these, you might raise eyebrows (although if you've got AAAAA, then they're not going to be too bothered).

(I don't know just how flippant you were being, so feel free to ignore me!)
^ Was tempted to say something along those lines XD
Meteorshower
I've heard here on TSR that they have changed the entry requirements of physics at St Andrews to AAAAA, website hasn't been updated in a while though so I haven't been able to confirm this. You wouldn't get a conditional though if you had lower than that applying there, you'd likely just get rejected assuming it is now AAAAA

Until st andrews have some respect for those that apply for them, I have no interest in the University at all.

Their attitude to my application was appalling.
abstraction98
Until st andrews have some respect for those that apply for them, I have no interest in the University at all.

Their attitude to my application was appalling.

What happened :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending