The Student Room Group

Learning Russian language: The Russian Learners' Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
thatwhichiam
Think it would be po for the town one rather than na, not entirely sure why...I think it just sounds right.

I concur.
Excellent, thanks guys :smile: I had a major freak out about the next page of my VoM booklet, but then relaxed when I realised it was prefixed verbs of motion and I hadn't just missed out on learning something.

Ahh, Russian. I love Russian :smile: Tolstoi times now!
Zoedotdot
Excellent, thanks guys :smile: I had a major freak out about the next page of my VoM booklet, but then relaxed when I realised it was prefixed verbs of motion and I hadn't just missed out on learning something.

Ahh, Russian. I love Russian :smile: Tolstoi times now!

around - means in russian 'вокруг' (vokrug) and 'по' (po) on/at something :smile:
I've been doing quite abit of Russian the last few days and whilst doing some grammar about adjectives I think i've become stumped. Am I suppose to learn where the stress is placed for every word that is stressed ?
With long form adjectives the stress is always fixed on either stem or ending - you'll know if it's meant to be on the ending because the masculine nominative singular form will end in -ой. My book gives the example of болшой (stress indicated by bold), which becomes болшого, because it's the first syllable of a two syllable ending that takes the stress.

Short form adjectives are more complicated. My book says there are three main patterns:

1. Stress fixed on the stem: красив, красива, красиво, красивы
2. Stress fixed on the ending: хорош, хорошa, хорошо, хорошы
3. Stress on the ending in the feminine and the stem in the other forms: прав, правa, право, праы

So the general gist is that there are definite patterns that will make learning them easier, but yes, basically you just have to learn them :smile:
Boooooooooooooooooooo (thank you)

The book I have says.

Textbook

Types of adjectives . In the singular these have a separate form for each gender as follows.

Spelling rule: The vowel Ы must be replaced by И, after Г,К,Х,Ж,Ш,Щ,Ч

Normal type:
Endings M: -ЫЙ N: -oe F: АЯ

Exception of masculine singular form when Г,К,Х,Ж,Ш,Щ,Ч is before ЫЙ

That's cool and I understand that.

Nasty bit of textbook

Spelling rule: Unstressed o cannot follow ж,ч,ш,щ,ц. It must be replaced by e.

The remaining types of adjectives

Unstressed endings following Ж,Ш,Щ,Ч

Endings: M: ИЙ N: ЕЕ F: АЯ

All adjectives with stressed endings

Endings: M: О́Й N: OЕ F: AЯ

I'm guessing they're talking about the nominative singular of adjectives.

I guess that means I have to remember the stresses too ? :puppyeyes:.

Then it goes on to talk about soft adjectives. What is the definition of a soft adjective ?

I also do not the definition of short/long form adjectives, but bearing in mind i'm on chapter 4 of my book so...

Also I love it how in the first post it has members, literally everyone is doing Russian at university (or potential) and then you have like 2 aberdeen medics.
всем привет! что нового? Я хочу изучатЬ русски язык потому что ето красиви язык.
I apologise for the spelling mistakes. Has anyone here been to MGU?
до встречи ребята :smile:
Reply 67
всем привет.
I'm attempting to learn Russian for fun at uni, since it's such a beautiful language. I just wish there wasn't so much of it to learn. Does anyone have any easyish ways of learning all the case endings because I always forget them :frown:
Hey.

I thought I would 'join' this thread since, while I don't do Russian any more, I loved it while I did, and would like to pick it up again some time in the near future before I forget too much.

suneilr
Does anyone have any easyish ways of learning all the case endings because I always forget them :frown:
When I stopped learning, I knew most, but not all, of the case endings - I had a sheet in the front of my folder detailing each case ending, including the exceptions, and I'd glance at that if I forgot one. It does come with practice. Or, I suppose, a blitz memory session. I never did that. Like my teacher said, though, повторение - мать учения.
I am going to be particpiating in this thread :]

I intend to get serious on my russian learning again, once Ive finished these med exams in June. But I will keep awatch and then no doubt bombard people with questions once I start again :p:
Reply 70
Adje
Hey.

I thought I would 'join' this thread since, while I don't do Russian any more, I loved it while I did, and would like to pick it up again some time in the near future before I forget too much.

When I stopped learning, I knew most, but not all, of the case endings - I had a sheet in the front of my folder detailing each case ending, including the exceptions, and I'd glance at that if I forgot one. It does come with practice. Or, I suppose, a blitz memory session. I never did that. Like my teacher said, though, повторение - мать учения.

Could you scan and post that sheet on to here? Pretty please :smile:
Hi guys!

I am Russian.
It is so cool that u are learning our language!

I would be happy to help u, if u want me to =)
Meh, participles and gerunds tonight. And uses of unidirectional verbs of motion in frequentative situations, good times...
I do love my prefixed verbs of motion now :smile: They're so handy! Finally learning all the prefixes and the prepositions that go with them helped.
Hahaha, they must be joking... :s-smilie: I don't know how much grammar is contained in a Russian A level, but I think that we're meant to be a very good post-A level standard by the end of our ab initio first year, and if they're trying to learn everything we've done even in Russian alone they won't manage it...
I'll head over and back you up, they're insane if they think it's possible...

Rosy as in lavalse? I saw her walking through town the other day, but rarely see her now that our Spanish lectures have stopped, seeing as she's in Homerton and I'm in Emma and we have no Spanish classes together.
Ooh to Arabic places? How fun :smile: I remember her mentioning she was going to the Middle East somewhere on the CamChat thread, didn't know it was with you.

Spanish is going great actually, on track for a 2.1/1 if I work hard :smile: I have 8 exams, just 7 to go now though thankfully! Although I have the dreaded Russian oral next week - while I can read and write Russian fine, speaking is a big issue so I'm relying on my lit paper to drag up my potentially abysmal speaking grade.
Reply 77
Zoedotdot
Ooh to Arabic places? How fun :smile: I remember her mentioning she was going to the Middle East somewhere on the CamChat thread, didn't know it was with you.

Spanish is going great actually, on track for a 2.1/1 if I work hard :smile: I have 8 exams, just 7 to go now though thankfully! Although I have the dreaded Russian oral next week - while I can read and write Russian fine, speaking is a big issue so I'm relying on my lit paper to drag up my potentially abysmal speaking grade.

Aww! I have my oral on Monday, I'm not overly worried about it as we have great oral classes, the topics aren't too difficult and we often speak Russian for fun outside of the class. My Arabic course isn't going very well, though, which makes me a bit sad 'cause I really love the language :sad: We should have Skype conferences and speak in Russian only :p:
Reply 78
hi, i'm 99% sure this is a stupid question but I'd like to be 100% sure! "Ирочка" is a persons name, correct?
Reply 79
I would assume it's the diminutive form of Ирина, but I might be wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending