The Student Room Group

can you become a pharmacist with a criminal record??

Hey i just wanted to ask this for my friend, can he do pharmacy with a criminal record??

Basically on a drunken night he hit someone(very minor) but none the less got arrested and charged and how has ABH on his crim record. He only got a fine for the offence which he has paid but is now worried that once he has completed his degree he wont be able to regester with the Royal Pharmaceutical society and therefore wont be able to become a pharmacist??

he rele is a gd guy and the attack was provoked but like i said hes worried and doesnt know what to do...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cant see anything on prospects which would suggest he wouldnt. He needs to contact the British Pharmaceutical Society really. He may have some problems though since most people will ignore certain crimes (even the police) but not usually GBH or ABH since they are serious crimes.
If your going round hitting people - provoked or unprovoked - it your own fault if you don't get where you want to in life.
Reply 3
yeh but he was intoxicated and he really does regret it

but thanks for ur comments, anymore??
Reply 4
Cant imagine he wouldnt be able to tran but he may find problems getting employed. How old was he when he was convicted?
Reply 5
only 18!
He gets what he deserves.
Goku ~ I'm sure I've got something somewhere about this ... shall have a look around for you and then reply to your PM :smile:
Okay have found what I was looking for and it seems like it may affect his chances of being able to register. Pharmacists are in the group of people whose criminal record is permanent so it'll show up when the society does a check (I'd presume they'd ask to declare anything when you register anyways?).

So, it'll depend on the decision of the statutory committee. As when he comes to register the offence will be over five years behind him and providing he doesn't step out of line again, they may be lenient and let him register.

Will try and scan in the article and PM it to you.
Reply 9
thanks emmz:smile: once again you been a great help!
That's okay :smile: would you like me to scan the article or do you have enough info now?

This --> http://www.pjonline.com/Editorial/20020706/society/statcomm.html#3 may also be of interest to you.
He should hopefully be fine - application forms provide spaces to explain why you have a criminal record, and if he just says he was provoked and hit back, in an isolated out-of-character incident when 18, it's unlikely to wreck his career.

Davie - You're being too harsh, for many it's natural to physically react to being provoked. Like John Prescott after having an egg thrown at him, very few would have been calm enough to not retalliate.
Reply 12
I doubt that he would be able to become a pharmacist. Someone with a criminal record in the medical supporting employment. Its highly unlikely.
MAC1205
I doubt that he would be able to become a pharmacist. Someone with a criminal record in the medical supporting employment. Its highly unlikely.

Not really - read the link I gave above. I think if it's an out of character thing then they'll be okay with you ... if you've got a string of convictions though then I think it'd be a different matter ...
MAC1205

But what does drunkenly hitting someone on a night out when a teenager have to do with his ability and competency as a pharmacist? Bush has a criminal record...
Reply 15
thanks guys for your replys really helping him out and hes set back on becoming a pharmacist, like you all said he regrets his past and would do anything to change it!

Thanks emmz especially! sum great ppl on this forum!:smile:
As long as he keeps in the clear now I'm sure he'll be absolutely fine to register :smile: it was something that happened in a temporary moment of madness.

I mean the stat comm have let pharmacists who were addicted to prescription drugs and were so struck off, re-register once they were clean and rehabilitated ... only for them to do it again ... it really seems like they're not that harsh when it comes down to it.
Reply 17
thanks emmz(thanked u so many time lol but never get tired of it)

u been a great help honestly, takes a few dedicated people to make someone smile:smile:
Reply 18
nope

Cant do anything if you have a criminal record

I had criminal record and couldnt find a job for 9 years

It also, screwed up my degree career prospects

I now have to wait 4 years and go bankrupt then i can take a course to something other than professional jobs, healthcare, financial, pharmacist/drugs,working with vulnerable groups, most companies check

Heres the rational "most places are scared that he will lose his cool and hit someone: and this will lead to a huge lawsuit"

[email protected]--if u got questions about criminal records
I'm really sorry to hear that ... but did you read the rest of the thread? Chances are his friend will be able to register as long as this incidient was a one off.

Latest

Trending

Trending