The Student Room Group

I want to change my (legal) name?

Hey.
I was thinking about changing my name since I dislike my current one, 'Riyadh'.
I thought of changing it to a new cool name - 'Rubix'! Reminiscent of the legendary Rubik cube (connoting intelligence) and the enigmatic Inspector from 'The Black Book' by Ian Rankin.
What do you think? How can I go on with procedure? Any recommended names?
Any input is appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought it was 'Rubik's'?
Reply 2
I *think* you have to be 18 to change your name and its done by deed poll. Cant think of any new names for you though, sorry.
Punch
I thought it was 'Rubik's'?

Aah, that makes it seem even more attractive then. A pun. :p:
Ramadulla
Hey.
I thought of changing it to a new cool name - 'Rubix'! Reminiscent of the legendary Rubix cube (connoting intelligence) and the enigmatic Inspector from 'The Black Book' by Ian Rankin.

i lolled
Moronic Acid
i lolled

:hmmm:
It is actually right?
How about Barney?
I like that name ^_^
Reply 7
Pierre DuPont is a nice name.
Reply 8
Legally all you are obliged to do is notify anyone it could effect (i.e. the govt. and banks etc). However, a deed poll is often the easiest way.
Reply 9
Ramadulla
:hmmm:
It is actually right?

You don't need intelligence to solve a Rubik's cube... anyway there's nothing wrong with Riyadh. If you really do want to change your name, though, I wouldn't change it to anything trivial.
nuodai
You don't need intelligence to solve a Rubik's cube... anyway there's nothing wrong with Riyadh. If you really do want to change your name, though, I wouldn't change it to anything trivial.

Oh well, to me it does. I can't solve one to save my life!
why not 'butthead'?
seems about right for you.
.pushing.charlotte.
why not 'butthead'?
seems about right for you.

I am a changed person, dear.
Ramadulla
Hey.
I thought of changing it to a new cool name - 'Rubix'! Reminiscent of the legendary Rubik cube (connoting intelligence) and the enigmatic Inspector from 'The Black Book' by Ian Rankin.

Hi. You do this by 'deed poll'. it's very simple, and the actual age to change your name yourself is 16 years old, so you're fine.

All you need to do is order it online, an then an independent witness will have to witness you sign it, and sign it themselves (a teacher would be fine for this). If you want legal copies, which i recommend, as places like the passport office and DVLA will only accept them or the real thing (not photocopies) then you'll have to send it back after signing it - order the amount of legal copies you want when ordering online.

Be sure to change your name with everything though (doctors/dentist/bank/school/ucas/National insurance card people/your nhs card/opticians/passport office/credit cards), as you'll be singing a contract and it's illegal to go by an incorrect name then [eg: your previous name].

here;s the official deed poll website, there are other sites, but many of them are not recognised by major institutions, so you'll have problems changing your name with them. http://www.ukdps.co.uk/
Reply 14
I really like the name Riyadh :redface:

Rubix :hmmmm:
It's your name, suck it up.
If I ever came across someone named "Rubix" I would think one of the two:
1. His parents were inexcusably drunk/high upon the birth.
2. He changed his name to something he wanted to "connote intelligence" but failed miserably.

Personally, I like the latter.
Please, don't change your name to Rubik or Rubix or whatever. You'll probably hate it after about a week.
I think Riyadh is fine personally, but if you're going to change it then maybe go for something that sounds a bit similar like Richard.
Reply 17
Annie72
I *think* you have to be 18 to change your name and its done by deed poll. Cant think of any new names for you though, sorry.

My friend changed her name when she was 16, but she had her parent's consent.
change your name to

Spoiler

for the lols
PrincessRose5
Hi. You do this by 'deed poll'. it's very simple, and the actual age to change your name yourself is 16 years old, so you're fine.

All you need to do is order it online, an then an independent witness will have to witness you sign it, and sign it themselves (a teacher would be fine for this). If you want legal copies, which i recommend, as places like the passport office and DVLA will only accept them or the real thing (not photocopies) then you'll have to send it back after signing it - order the amount of legal copies you want when ordering online.

Be sure to change your name with everything though (doctors/dentist/bank/school/ucas/National insurance card people/your nhs card/opticians/passport office/credit cards), as you'll be singing a contract and it's illegal to go by an incorrect name then [eg: your previous name].

here;s the official deed poll website, there are other sites, but many of them are not recognised by major institutions, so you'll have problems changing your name with them. http://www.ukdps.co.uk/

Excellent, much appreciated. My (worthless) rep. is on its way. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending