The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Does anybody know how lenient Cambridge are if you miss the First offer, after my last set of results I'm starting to think that I might miss it by like 0.2% or something stupid. If you ring up or write a very persuasive letter do you think they would reconsider you, especially as I got an offer really early so they must have liked me, or would it be a flat out NO!

If anybody has experience of this it would be appreciated as Im stating to worry
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Ham and Jam
Does anybody know how lenient Cambridge are if you miss the First offer, after my last set of results I'm starting to think that I might miss it by like 0.2% or something stupid. If you ring up or write a very persuasive letter do you think they would reconsider you, especially as I got an offer really early so they must have liked me, or would it be a flat out NO!

If anybody has experience of this it would be appreciated as Im stating to worry

It depends on a whole bunch of other variables that you have no control over. They over-offer because a lot of people fail to find funding. If more than they anticipate fail to fund they have spaces they can fill with people they wanted (or they wouldn't have made an offer in the first place) but who didn't make the grade.

I also guess that in some cases they want the person, but set a challenging target to ensure their academics are going to be on a par with the rest of the course. If the person then fails by a small margin, a lenient view might be taken.

I'm not sure that ringing up or writing would do anything, they have to be fair to all candidates and will make the decision based on the applications in front of them. It isn't a flat out NO without a deal of consideration of all options though. If they didn't want you there, they wouldn't have made you any offer at all.
threeportdrift
It depends on a whole bunch of other variables that you have no control over. They over-offer because a lot of people fail to find funding. If more than they anticipate fail to fund they have spaces they can fill with people they wanted (or they wouldn't have made an offer in the first place) but who didn't make the grade.

I also guess that in some cases they want the person, but set a challenging target to ensure their academics are going to be on a par with the rest of the course. If the person then fails by a small margin, a lenient view might be taken.

I'm not sure that ringing up or writing would do anything, they have to be fair to all candidates and will make the decision based on the applications in front of them. It isn't a flat out NO without a deal of consideration of all options though. If they didn't want you there, they wouldn't have made you any offer at all.

Thanks for the reply, although what is the process? surely if you cant send them evidence of a first by the set time, the offer will lapse and thats it? Would you have to ring them up and explain why you wont be able to send the required documents. From your response it sounds more like they will contact you first. Out of interest have you done/are doing/going to do the course
Ham and Jam
Thanks for the reply, although what is the process? surely if you cant send them evidence of a first by the set time, the offer will lapse and thats it? Would you have to ring them up and explain why you wont be able to send the required documents. From your response it sounds more like they will contact you first. Out of interest have you done/are doing/going to do the course

If your results don't come out until after the deadline BoGS have set to have all the paperwork completed by, then just ring them and tell them, they'll sort something out. It's not that unusual. Indeed, Cambridge themselves don't confirm their Masters degree results until after term has started, which makes things a little complicated if you are staying on to do a PhD. They work it out. Yes, been there, seen it, done it etc.
Reply 44
Ham and Jam

I sent them a letter saying that I will not be able to make the deadline and they answered with an email telling me that they added a note to my file. I am currently waiting for their answer to my question whether that really means I can be late by, say, a month. I won't take any risks! They also advised me to inform my college.
Does anyone have any knowledge as to how the application review process for Cambridge's MSt in IR is unfolding this year?

I sent in my application about 7 weeks ago. I then received a nice e-mail indicating that the review process "may" take "a few months," and further indicating that I would be updated as the review progressed.

Since then, I've heard nothing.

Has anyone else heard anything?

If anyone reading this has already received an offer, would you please tell me how long it took to get the offer from the time you submitted your application? Also, did you initially receive your offer via e-mail, or through the postal service?

Finally, another applicant posted a few weeks ago that he was told that applications to the MSt in IR were down this year. (I believe he said they were down to about 80.) On the surface this seems unlikely given previous application numbers and given the poor economy (which usually drives grad school applications up).

On the other hand, given that the potential applicant pool for this program is mostly made up of people who already have careers, it's not impossible that fewer such people would be willing to spend the money on a part-time program that for most people is probably not essential.

Has anyone heard anything that would either support or contradict the suggestion that applications to this program are down this year?

Thanks very much for any feedback anyone might have.
To try and reduce the number of inappropriate applications, which still take up the full amount of assessment time, and to make sure that people are fully aware of the requirements of the course, re residential periods etc. they have do a lot more to tell interested parties about the course before the application stage. So they normally get about 300 expressions of interest, which converts into 100 applicants for about 40 places. I have this all direct from the Course Administrator, because I asked for an update for just this purpose. She didn't menion a reduction in numbers this year, but it is possible. The challenge for MSt students is that they usually have to fit the study aound work. Work is much less likely to be sympathetic or financially supportive in the current climate.

The application is processed as soon as it arrives by the Course Directors, who then try and find an suitable Supervisor - this can happen as fast as the Course Directors can fit this into their personal schedule of lecture/research commitments. However, once this has happened, the application has to be approved by three subsequent committees, whose monthly meeting dates are not co-ordinated. So if you hit these dates wrong, it can take > 3 months to get an application through, even if it is a strong application.

I know some offers have been made, I spoke to someone who got a positive answer on 20 March. However, I don't know anything more about their application timing. Also, there is already a thread for this specific course, have you searched through that?
Thanks for the information.

Three subsequent committees AFTER the course directors review the application? Good Lord. If the course directors approve the application, though, is that the most significant hurdle? If not, what in your opinion is?

The only other relatively recent thread I've seen about this program is titled, "American student chances for Cambridge MSt International Relations." I have looked through that thread. No posts there for a few weeks, but it did have some helpful information.

Was there another thread to which you were referring?

Thanks again.
Yes, I think the significance of the steps starts with the most important, the Course Directors, but that is combined with the Supervisors, ie the Supervisor adds in subject specific detail about the quality of the research proposal. I'm not sure what the first committee does tbh. The second one does the 'over view' of the whole department, makes sure that departmental focus/policies/direction are being maintained across all applications. The third one is BoGS!

On the other threads, I may have been confusing the main Cam postgrad thread and the MPhil IR thread. The MPhil IR, although administered differently and having different timings, is effectively identical in terms of content and personalities.
As always, thanks for your insightful comments.

I exchanged e-mails with Ms. Linda Fisher and she informed me that my application had been approved by the course directors, that they had found a faculty member willing to supervise my proposed thesis, and that my application was now in front of the "Degree Committee."

When you say that the degree committee seeks to make sure departmental policies, etc, are being upheld, can you give me an example of when it might reject an applicant already approved by the course directors and for whom a supervisor is already identified? Same question for the Board of Graduate Studies, which is where Linda said my application would go next.

I'm just trying to understand the likelihood that, absent any unusual problems (e.g., a claim that my transcript was falsified), my application will move forward successfully.

Thanks much.
I've pm'd to protect the innocent!
Reply 51
Heya everyone, my offer finally came through on Camsis, so I'll look forward to meeting you all in September :biggrin:
Good luck to everyone ploughing through and waiting on results!
Reply 52
Threepointdrift this may fall within your insider knowledge- I was wondering, do you or anyone else know roughly when exactly we need to be in Cambridge? My offer booklet mentioned something about some courses wanting people to be there early for introductory thingies- does IR fall into that category?
Reply 53
Charing...
I think we have to be there by 1 October... as fas as I know there is no intro course...

are you definetely going to Cambridge?
Charing
Threepointdrift this may fall within your insider knowledge- I was wondering, do you or anyone else know roughly when exactly we need to be in Cambridge? My offer booklet mentioned something about some courses wanting people to be there early for introductory thingies- does IR fall into that category?

The MPhil IR doesn't normally have a 'pre-week' but there are always mutterings, particularly about an introductory economics course for those with no prior economics training.

The term thing in Cambridge - well you would have trouble coming up with something more confusing if you actively tried. The Cambridge week starts on Thursday (obviously!) so the first 'working day' is likely to be 8 Oct. Though technical paperwork is likely to refer to term starting on Tuesday 6th, because the administrative week seems to start on a Tuesday. Colleges usually make your room available the weekend before that. Freshers week is actually the few days between, ie Mon, Tue, Wed. Basically, it's assumed that you are up from the weekend before ie 3rd/4th and sorting your life out until Thursday, when your first essay is set, to be handed in on the following Monday and you never leave the library again.........

http://www.cam.ac.uk/univ/termdates.html

So just to clarify -

Term always starts on 1 Oct - but nothing happens, because term starts on a Tuesday, so the first Tuesday after the 1st is actually the first day of term if the 1st isn't a Tuesday. But that is purely administrative, students need to worry about full term, which starts on a Thursday, so the Thursday following the first day of term (providing it is a Tuesday).
Reply 55
Ah, thank you very much that helps alot. I had sort of worked out the Thursday thing and informal freshers but wasn't sure if that carried over from year to year or if there was anything else I should factor in.

JoulesSP- Yep, I've accepted my place- my offer came through on Camsis about two weeks ago and I knew (via phone) for a bit before then.
Charing
Ah, thank you very much that helps alot. I had sort of worked out the Thursday thing and informal freshers but wasn't sure if that carried over from year to year or if there was anything else I should factor in.

JoulesSP- Yep, I've accepted my place- my offer came through on Camsis about two weeks ago and I knew (via phone) for a bit before then. I'm running on the southern hemisphere academic year and so have had my final results since mid December. Very nasty wait up until that point though, I have huge sympathy for everyone in that position now, which I assume includes most people.
I don't have a college yet, Jesus was my first choice, but really I'm so happy to be going that I'm not enormously bothered where I'm put.

Maybe we'll be at the same college. :happy2: I'll be at Jesus

I'm still waiting on one grade to make sure I met the offer conditions, but it looks like I'm not in major danger. I still need to email to ask about switching from 1A to 1B though - has anyone done this yet?
Reply 57
Sunflower52
Maybe we'll be at the same college. :happy2: I'll be at Jesus

I'm still waiting on one grade to make sure I met the offer conditions, but it looks like I'm not in major danger. I still need to email to ask about switching from 1A to 1B though - has anyone done this yet?

A friendly IR face would be nice:smile:
Reply 58
Sunflower52, I was told by Wendy Cooke that we could change tracks until june, yet we are not encouraged to...
Reply 59
JoulesSP
Sunflower52, I was told by Wendy Cooke that we could change tracks until june, yet we are not encouraged to...

You are not encouraged to because... they will give you an evil stare? Doesn't seem like a reason not to do it. :wink:

threeportdrift
Basically, it's assumed that you are up from the weekend before ie 3rd/4th and sorting your life out until Thursday, when your first essay is set, to be handed in on the following Monday and you never leave the library again.........

Seriously?

Latest

Trending

Trending