The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Vazzyb
The point in bold:

- We're all doing medical degrees and well-trained in English and since we're all aplying to do jobs within the NHS - there's a tiny minority which that applies to,

-You should always do the subjects you want to. I am against people who wanted to do Physics being told its not wise because .. uhh...."well its just a rule"

The point in red:

At my interview we talked about cricket!!! I did 5 sciences...Then we talked about my work experience and then about a book id been reading on ethics...my god...why don't people realise that your subjects will form one tiny, absolutely tiny part of the interview, if are genuinely an interesting person outside your subjects. And if you're not an interesting person - well, your subjects are not going to compensate!

And the thing in bold....can someone actaully show me where it says that? Whoes idea is this? Does anyone keep statistics on this? At my university, the most popular combination, by far and away, is 4 sciences (anecodtally).

In conclusion:

If you want to do Physics as a fourth science because you enjoy doing science, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it as a fourth subject, and you will not be under any disadvantage, as long as the rest of your application is how a medical applicant's should be. In fact it helps at some universities.

The point in bold: More people want to do other subjects than Physics so this works both ways.

The point in red: 5 sciences? Pray tell.

(and since we are going multi coloured) The point in blue: very true.

The point in orange: ahem quoting you...''can someone actually show me where it says that? Whose idea is this? Does anyone keep statistics on this?''
Kinkerz
I'm surprised school subjects even come up at all in an interview...

At none of my 3 interview did they come up whatsoever
Reply 82
crazylemon
At none of my 3 interview did they come up whatsoever

I only got one, but it didn't even seem close to coming up...
Kinkerz
I only got one, but it didn't even seem close to coming up...

Same.
There are better things to talk about at interview.
(at PMS they said that you could tell the interviewers your grades if you want but they wouldnt care at all.)
Reply 84
Chocolatey Goodness
The point in bold: More people want to do other subjects than Physics so this works both ways.

The point in orange: ahem quoting you...''can someone actually show me where it says that? Whose idea is this? Does anyone keep statistics on this?''

green! - absolutely - if you want to do something, by all means do it...
again, id like to state, the problem is with off-hand advice not to do physics to people who want to do physics, because of some myth in medical applications

in purple - that bit was in relation to the BMAT where hard physics questions are an essential component of an exam that helps you get in...(my school gave extra physics lessons to students who weren't doing the AS level just before the BMAT...)
Vazzyb

in purple - that bit was in relation to the BMAT where hard physics questions are an essential component of an exam that helps you get in...(my school gave extra physics lessons to students who weren't doing the AS level just before the BMAT...)

No colours cause I don't know how :p:
I agree AS physics helped me with the BMAT, similar style of thinking for the mathsy bits
Vazzyb
green! - absolutely - if you want to do something, by all means do it...
again, id like to state, the problem is with off-hand advice not to do physics to people who want to do physics, because of some myth in medical applications

I agree. It shouldn't be anyone's place to tell you what to do. Problem is when you are a student who doesn't know better and someone who claims experience gives you advice you are inclined to believe it.

Vazzyb

True, though I think maths helped me more for my BMAT. depends on the questions you get. For example, I had a question on postage stamps. Not so sure physics would have helped there lol. Then again not sure how knowledge of stamps makes me a better doctor but hey! The problem with the general way things work is it's never about who is wrong or right. It's always just been about those who are capable enough to convince you they are right and those too weak, scared or ignorant to question them.
I am in the lower 6th right now and im taking chem, bio, maths and french, its a really good combination and I really enjoy it. For your fourth, do something you like and have natural talent at, because it will make your life easier workload wise, although anything for the 4th subject is fine. a friend of mine is doing chem bio maths and geoggers and likes that, so whatever if best for you. essay subjects- i dunno, it depends if you like essays and are quick at them-they could help for the BMAT, but will increase your work load in the lower 6th.

Does anyone know if UCL offer AAA or AAB because I have heard both.
The thing is, no universities will ask for 4 sciences for Medicine. Most ask for Chemistry and Biology or Maths, if not Biology then it has to be at AS.
anony-mouse30592
I am in the lower 6th right now and im taking chem, bio, maths and french, its a really good combination and I really enjoy it. For your fourth, do something you like and have natural talent at, because it will make your life easier workload wise, although anything for the 4th subject is fine. a friend of mine is doing chem bio maths and geoggers and likes that, so whatever if best for you. essay subjects- i dunno, it depends if you like essays and are quick at them-they could help for the BMAT, but will increase your work load in the lower 6th.

It is going up to AAA next year. This year it was AAB
anony-mouse30592

It used to be AAB. As of now I think it is AAA along with an As subject.

quoting their site

AAA to include Chemistry; Biology must be offered at either A level (preferred) or AS level. Mathematics and Further Mathematics will not both be counted towards the three A level subjects required.
A pass in a further subject at AS level or equivalent is also required (minimum grade B if Biology).

GCSE Mathematics and English Language must be offered at a minimum of grade B

link here if you want to check yourself: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prosp-students/prospectus/medical-school/medicine/
Note in the post above, UCL says nothing about preferring a non science degree as a fourth subject.
Reply 92
Chocolatey Goodness
Note in the post above, UCL says nothing about preferring a non science degree as a fourth subject.

Yes it does

'Previous study of chemistry and biology is required. Those also offering a contrasting arts subject will be looked on favourably. Full details of the specific requirements are available in additional Medical School literature and on the medical school website www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/mbbs-admissions'

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prosp-students/prospectus/medical-school/medicine/application/index.shtml
Reply 93
Is this how UCL works?

Excellent PS + Judged well-rounded candidate + good grades -> Interview first. A large proportion of these people get offers.

Everyone else wait for BMAT scores...

Above requirement, then interview, more than half get an offer at this point - something like 70%?

Below requirement - few interviews, few offers?
Vazzyb
Is this how UCL works?

Excellent PS + Judged well-rounded candidate + good grades -> Interview first. A large proportion of these people get offers.

Above requirement, then interview, more than half get an offer at this point - something like 70%?

I wouldn't know about the exact statistics but sounds about right. Can't be sure about the statement in bold though. no one really talks much about how they got in. I don't even know that much about my friends' A levels or BMAT scores. Also if you are above requirement for the BMAT you are supposed to automatically get an interview. It used to be that way.
Wangers
Yes it does

'Previous study of chemistry and biology is required. Those also offering a contrasting arts subject will be looked on favourably. Full details of the specific requirements are available in additional Medical School literature and on the medical school website www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/mbbs-admissions'

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prosp-students/prospectus/medical-school/medicine/application/index.shtml

:eek: so it does! lol. I wonder though. I doubt they considered accounts an 'art' subject.
Vazzyb
Is this how UCL works?

Well I was in the catergory. No offer for me :awesome:. Though this is obviously anecdotal
Reply 97
crazylemon
Well I was in the catergory. No offer for me . Though this is obviously anecdotal

oh sorry about that :frown: - thats surprising - i thought they usually went with their paper impression!
hmm...it would be interesting to see stats on this
Reply 98
French :awesome:
Vazzyb
oh sorry about that :frown: - thats surprising - i thought they usually went with their paper impression!
hmm...it would be interesting to see stats on this

Lol you wern't in my interview. I crashed and burned. Interviewer was NOT impressed with my orthopedics work experience - no insight whatsoever to be gained from it :rolleyes:
THey did write to say they would let me apply next year (which they dont normally do) - 'having matured'. I am tempted to write an immature letter about how that will not be necessary.

But is cool I will be at imperial instead :awesome:

Latest

Trending

Trending