The Student Room Group
If you apply to five significantly different courses you are likely to find it difficult to make a case that you are enthusiastic and dedicated to any of them; admissions tutors like applicants to have this characteristic.
Reply 2
If you suddenly realise that the Uni isn't for you then you have put all your eggs in one basket.

Variety is the spice of life my friend. Perhaps do your firm/insurance at same uni but pick different ones at other uni's so you can perhaps change your mind.
If you aren't what the university is looking for as a person, you're screwed.

Having five degree choices suggests they will be rather different courses - this doesn't show a lot of passion for any particular degree, which is an important factor for admission tutors in making offers.

If you decide you don't like the university later on down the line, you don't have a back-up.

Basically - don't do it :nope:
What university? What courses?
Reply 5
Yeah, well, I have applied for

- BA in Journalism at City
- BA in Journalism with Economics at City
- BA in Journalism with Psychology at City

And I got "Unsuccesful" at all of them.

Oddly enough, I have been accepted at

BA in Journalism with Contemporary History

which is a joint course between Queen Mary and City

:confused:
Reply 6
Good bloke
If you apply to five significantly different courses you are likely to find it difficult to make a case that you are enthusiastic and dedicated to any of them; admissions tutors like applicants to have this characteristic.

They all very much similar.

However, this can also be a disadvantage as they may reject me for the danding subjects and offer me a place for the less demanding sucjects, since they know that all 5 choices are for that specific uni. :frown:
Reply 7
The problem is if all the courses are in the same department at that university, then the admissions tutor is going to be able to see all of your applications.
If the university has limited places, they're likely to make you an offer for one of those choices and then reject the other four, leaving you with no insurance choice.
Reply 8
Well, you probably came across as being very uncommitted to history, psychology and economics, and maybe a little uncommitted to the actual journalism course?

Also, they may have given you an offer for the least subscribed course as they know you'll have to accept it if they just give you one offer, whereas they have no idea if someone who just applied for the Journalism course will accept it or not :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Consider that several of your apps may go through the same admissions department. Eg if i applied for maths at warwick, and "maths and economics" and "maths and physics" they'd all go through the same department (the maths department, go figure) so if they didn't like me, they'd reject me for all the courses. Ofc i'm not worrying because everyone likes me.

Also it seems incredibly stupid to apply for the uni rather than the course...
you probably seemed so desperate to get into city that you'd sacrifice half your journalism degree (as I guess in joint honours you only take half the modules)? Which wouldn't really make you appear very dedicated to actually studying journalism. Also since City's hardly an isolated uni (ie there are lots of other universities fairly near it), it's not like you could really use the excuse of really wanting to go to that area either.
angelmxxx
Well, you probably came across as being very uncommitted to history, psychology and economics, and maybe a little uncommitted to the actual journalism course?
Oh, I'm a mature applicant with relevant work experience - working as a music editor for one of the largest worldwide companies now here, in London, so TBH it kinda proves I'm not Mr-Nobody-With-No-Skills-Whatsoever, plus I have radio experience as well, both in Poland where I'm from and a bit of gained already here, in England. They still wanted me to apply with my A-Level Equivalent scores, though (I had exams in English, Geography and Politics, quite good scores, that would probably translate as AAB, but don't quote me on it as there doesn't seem to be a widely available PL to UK grad exams conversion chart).

I think that an issue might have been that I don't have any formal qualifications in maths, and the course requirements state that an A-Level or equivalent in maths is required, but - at the same time - they say they "welcome applications from Mature Students and people with relevant work experience"? :confused:

I mean, I'm happy, 'cause I wanted to go for that joint course in the first place, as QM is part of UoL and it will allow me to have an access to an insane amount of libraries and resources, whereas while studying at City only I would not be eligilble for that. But I just don't understand much why have I been dismissed from the City-only courses and accepted at a joint with QM one. Asked them, waiting for a reply now, anyway.

BTW: I seriously doubt that BA in Journalism @City is less subscribed than a joint with history with QM who are fairly good when it comes to humanities, but I might be as well wrong.
spex
Also it seems incredibly stupid to apply for the uni rather than the course...

Yeah, well, I have applied for the course. Journalism in general. But I've been covering wide area of subjects in my life while working for magazines (on-line and printed) and radio, so all of those that I have applied for have been pretty much relevant, and this has been highlighted in my application and personal statement.

I should get a reply from them some time this week, so hopefully the mystery will be solved :biggrin:
Dynamitri

BTW: I seriously doubt that BA in Journalism @City is less subscribed than a joint with history with QM who are fairly good when it comes to humanities, but I might be as well wrong.

That was my point, journalism is renowned as very, very competitive so they may have given you an offer for their least popular course (or have different quotas if it's a shared course with a different uni). But anyways well done on your offer :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending