The Student Room Group

Why Bury could be better than Liverpool?

Liverpool 1 opened during Liverpool capital of culture year. It was claimed to bring Liverpool as a city that could compete with Manchester in Lancashire. But already, facing threats from Manchester City Centre, and the Manchester Trafford Centre which attract over millions every year, Liverpool is now considered second favourite place to shop etc... in the northwest. It could be facing a new threat from North Manchester, when Bury unveils the Rock, a development which I find is similiar to Liverpool 1, so could Bury overtake Liverpool:
http://www.liverpool-one.com/website/
http://www.therockbury.com/

With plans underway to create a new city centre in Salford adjoining Manchester to the Quays, could Manchester kill off businesses in the other areas such as Liverpool as I mentioned before, Preston, Lancaster, Warrington etc..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Preston could also get the tite sommat project as well.
Reply 2
Newcastle for the win.
Well, all that stuff about 'who is better' aside, personally as a resident of Liverpool I think Liverpool 1 is bloody marvelous and it's right here on my doorstep. Sure, it's supposed to bring in money through tourism/visitors (which by the way it must be because I've never seen the city center so busy in all my life!) but at the end of the day, it's in Liverpool, for liverpudlians so ******** to the rest =].
No, Bury doesn't have the history or the location. It's too close to Manchester.
Reply 5
No chance, I live in Bury and I went to Liverpool last Wednesday, there's no comparison
I thought this was going to be a stupid football thread.
Zen90
No chance, I live in Bury and I went to Liverpool last Wednesday, there's no comparison

I live in Heywood, and i say...

Bury > Liverpool.

No scousers in Bury!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yep:

Im excited to see the new rock actually, mainly because im doing architecture at uni, so new builds always stir something up in me, its fun watching things being built :biggrin:
Reply 8
Untitled258
I live in Heywood, and i say...

Bury > Liverpool.

No scousers in Bury!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yep:

Im excited to see the new rock actually, mainly because im doing architecture at uni, so new builds always stir something up in me, its fun watching things being built :biggrin:

lol I'm actually from Summit :yep: , but I just say Bury anyway because I spend more of my time there, where in Heywood you from? The posh(ish) end? :p:
Zen90
lol I'm actually from Summit :yep: , but I just say Bury anyway because I spend more of my time there, where in Heywood you from? The posh(ish) end? :p:

Summit (heady hill :frown: )

Heywood has no posh end either!

Im rarely there any more though, most of my time is spent in leeds.
Reply 10
Untitled258
Summit (heady hill :frown: )

Heywood has no posh end either!

Im rarely there any more though, most of my time is spent in leeds.

Ah yeah I know where you are, about 5 mins walk from me (Lune Grove :ninja:) near the big field which slopes downhill. As for posh end, I suppose Hopwood where Siddal Moor is, is decent.

Dont blame you for spending your time at Leeds, compared to Heywood it's a dump :yep: .

Have you seen The Met quarter in Liverpool? That's a nice building.
Reply 11
4G_dollars

With plans underway to create a new city centre in Salford adjoining Manchester to the Quays, could Manchester kill off businesses in the other areas such as Liverpool as I mentioned before, Preston, Lancaster, Warrington etc..

I think the developments in Bury and Salford would only be competing with each other and Manchester, not Liverpool. They will largely attract people who live locally, who will visit Bury etc rather than Manchester City Centre. I can't imagine many people from Liverpool travel to Manchester(bar the Trafford Centre) to shop, and vice versa - the retail offer in each city is virtually identical.

There are very few retail developments that have a catchment that extends beyond the conurbation they are in, huge out of town shopping centres like The Trafford Centre, Metrocentre and so on are the only real examples.
Reply 12
I think Liverpool moved into 4th in terms of retail last year, behind (I think!) London, Manchester and Edinburgh.

Not sure how a satellite mill-town could threaten a port when Liverpool has contenders such as Manchester, Chester and Cheshire Oaks already.

Bury could threaten Rochdale at a push
izaldo
I think Liverpool moved into 4th in terms of retail last year, behind (I think!) London, Manchester and Edinburgh.

Not sure how a satellite mill-town could threaten a port when Liverpool has contenders such as Manchester, Chester and Cheshire Oaks already.

Bury probably kicks rochdales arse at everything anyway.

Bury >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rochdale.

I really do hate that place.
Reply 14
I don't imagine that people from liverpool consider liverpool to be their second choice for shopping. liverpool is always going to be number one for local residents, obviously. so no, I don't think that bury is going to compete with liverpool for liverpool residents.

the attractions of a city like liverpool extend beyond what shops are available, as well.
Reply 15
izaldo

SHOPPERS in recession-hit Rochdale have told how they prefer Bury to their own town.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1102997_rochdale_bitten_by_the_crunch

Hardly surprised. Rochdale....my god..
Reply 16
Untitled258
Bury probably kicks rochdales arse at everything anyway.

Bury >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rochdale.

I really do hate that place.

It's pretty grim.

Although I've heard enough grim stories of Bury from my mate who's worked in pubs, clubs etc to make me not want to go there.

One time a club owner asked him to cover in his other place, a strip club. So the lad was on the bar and he met a girl from his class in primary school, working the pole. Awkward!
Reply 17
caw123

Rochdale....my god..

Rochdale *shudder*, theres only an argos and d2 there :p:
edit: although Bamford and Norden are rich areas
caw123
SHOPPERS in recession-hit Rochdale have told how they prefer Bury to their own town.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1102997_rochdale_bitten_by_the_crunch

Hardly surprised. Rochdale....my god..

Yeh, Heywood where im from is a part of Rochdale and i hate it, much, much perfer bury, only reason i go to rochdale is to get on the train out of there.

izaldo
It's pretty grim.

Although I've heard enough grim stories of Bury from my mate who's worked in pubs, clubs etc to make me not want to go there.

One time a club owner asked him to cover in his other place, a strip club. So the lad was on the bar and he met a girl from his class in primary school, working the pole. Awkward!

No different from any other town though! I dont go out in Bury at night much though, just stick to manc city centre, so i couldnt comment on its grimness.
Untitled258

the new rock is driving me mad, because every morning when i drive to work the roads have changed AGAIN and i get confuseddddd :'(.

and the nightlife in bury is terrible! it used to be good when i was at college and everybody knew everybody in sol viva, but since everybody is at uni i don't bother and head into manchester.

Latest

Trending

Trending