The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1
I had a friend at Ashburne who seemed to really enjoy it, but my friends at Dalton Ellis find it incredibly quiet and boring. That's unfortunately all I know. Also, Ashburne is not single sex anymore and there are formals or at least something that looks like it.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
anything else from anyone? ive applied for ashburne, i want to get the non-glossy open day version of what its like.
My friend is in Ashburne, from what I've seen it's good-sized rooms and a nice atmosphere. Plus you get to be in Fallowfield, so you get the experience of living in a student area
Dalton ellis is quiet, the catered food is good tho. Depends if you wana party, go fallowfield. if you wana study go dalton ellis.
It depends on what you want. I have never stayed in either of these halls, but I can give an advice regarding where they are.

Yes, Ashburne is in Fallowfield and thus is further away and you'll definitely have to get a bus, if you don't mind walking more than 45 minutes to go to your lectures (this is based on South Campus, so longer for North Campus).

With Dalton Ellis, in terms of South Campus, probably a bit longer than 30 minutes. So if you prefer walking to the university, then Dalton Ellis is better.

However, you could access Ashburne more easily if you prefer getting a bus, because there are a lot of buses passing along Oxford Road/Wilmslow Road and the bus stop is right beside Ashburne,

whereas for Dalton Ellis, it is harder because 147 bus, which connects between Piccadilly Station to (back of) MRI discontinues by 8pm (maybe earlier than this) and you'll have to get the bus from Upper Brooks Street (back of one side of the uni), not Oxford Road (where the South Campus is placed along it).

You could get a bus from Oxford Road too, but you'll have to walk around 15 minutes from the bus stop in there, which is not as close as Ashburne's.
Reply 6
I am at Dalton-Ellis. I like it because its quiet and i Like to get away from the uni. It is about 25-30 minutes walk which I think is about right to the main uni campus. However, it is a long long to the city centre. It is about a 30 minutes walk. It isnt that nice to get back to night night as you have to walk about 5 minutes down a dark road where you have to get off the bus at night. Curry Mile is about 1/4 mile walk so it is good if you want foreign food. The food is crap though
Reply 7
Phil900
I am at Dalton-Ellis. I like it because its quiet and i Like to get away from the uni. It is about 25-30 minutes walk which I think is about right to the main uni campus. However, it is a long long to the city centre. It is about a 30 minutes walk. It isnt that nice to get back to night night as you have to walk about 5 minutes down a dark road where you have to get off the bus at night. Curry Mile is about 1/4 mile walk so it is good if you want foreign food. The food is crap though

you WHAT?
Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to get to the Main Campus from D.E.
Reply 8
to get to uni place it take bout 25 mins if i am caryring laptop and library books or txt books to read in library etc
Reply 9
I'd rather live in Dalton Ellis, Ashburne is pretty but looks beyond **** socially

ETA: Lol at someone saying 'if you want to party go the "virgin megastore". Erm, no no.
Reply 10
OhNO!
I'd rather live in Dalton Ellis, Ashburne is pretty but looks beyond **** socially
ETA: Lol at someone saying 'if you want to party go the "virgin megastore". Erm, no no.

Then again, socializing isnt limited to your hall. After all, from what 8i remember from Open House, its only 5 minutes or less from Owens Park, am i right?

Rich
Reply 11
Richiboi
Then again, socializing isnt limited to your hall. After all, from what 8i remember from Open House, its only 5 minutes or less from Owens Park, am i right?

Rich

It might as well be in a different city from Owens Park.
Reply 12
I lived in the self catered part of Dalton Ellis (Pankurst Court) and I wouldn't recommend it. I have friends who lived in Dalton Ellis and they really liked it. They found it very sociable.
Reply 13
OhNO!
It might as well be in a different city from Owens Park.

How close is it? or was i confused by how tall it was? :p:
Reply 14
Richiboi
How close is it? or was i confused by how tall it was? :p:

It's about a two minute walk away from OP courtyard, but that doesn't mean there's any integration or that people from Ashburne are involved in the OP/OH social scene or nights out. Ashburne might as well have not been there all this year for all that I'd have noticed.

Latest

Trending

Trending