The Student Room Group

Uh oh... No interests!

So here's the problem: I'm in grade 11, and I graduate next year. I need to start worrying about which universities I'll be applying to next year and what I'll be studying.

The only problem is, I'm not interested in studying anything at all. I don't want to go to university and study something for the next 3 or 4 years. There's not really one thing that I'd like to pursue and spend my time studying for. I don't care to learn all this theoretical stuff and write essays about things - I'd rather just get out and do something. All I know is that I just want to get out and work with people.

I don't know what to do anymore! :confused:
Reply 1
Seems to me you do, a lot more than most in these rooms.
Reply 2
Well, what jobs would you be happy to do?
Reply 3
I'd be extremely happy working with children, but definitely not teaching.
Reply 4
MadeInCanada
I'd be extremely happy working with children, but definitely not teaching.

You could be a youth worker if you wanted to work with teens, nursery school teacher if you wanted to work with small children. Child minding (like afterschool) for in between ages. Worker in an after school club. Or like a careers advisor or counsellour in a school. Dinnerlady (haha). I dunno, there must be tons. So the idea of uni in the UK isnt working out?
Reply 5
can't suggest any specific jobs for you, but what I can say is definately don't apply to university if you don't want to go! I know it sounds stupid, but some people do just to delay a decision for a career choice, which is just a waste.
Yea definately just go looking for a job, you can always apply for uni at another time in the future. just cram in lots of work experience to find out what you like doing. Even if you only do a job for a month its still experience. And plus...it earns you cash. Also you could join some clubs, i was told this about a week ago and thought oh yeah what clubs am i gonna join but im now lookin into it. So in other words...work and have fun :biggrin:
Reply 7
Oh man, I tried (gently!) hinting at my mum yesterday that I was thinking of not going to university right after I graduate... Oh my GOD! It was worse than I thought it would be, lol

She FREAKED out at me! Oh wow, it was shocking. lol Finally today she goes, "So how do you plan on paying for a year off?" Uhhh.... Uh oh.

So anyway, yeah, not good... I dunno, maybe I'll look at something really random, like.... Tourism and Hospitality or something. It's so annoying.
Reply 8
MadeInCanada
Oh man, I tried (gently!) hinting at my mum yesterday that I was thinking of not going to university right after I graduate... Oh my GOD! It was worse than I thought it would be, lol

She FREAKED out at me! Oh wow, it was shocking. lol Finally today she goes, "So how do you plan on paying for a year off?" Uhhh.... Uh oh.

So anyway, yeah, not good... I dunno, maybe I'll look at something really random, like.... Tourism and Hospitality or something. It's so annoying.

Theres no point in you going unless you want to go. Otherwise you will be unhappy and not learn. And then its just a waste of 3/4 years, and a helluva lotta money. Just try and make a plan, like what kind of job you are going to do and any training you can do, and then approach her sensibly. Parents always like it if it looks like you have thought of the future and made a plan. Childcare or whatever is a perfectly acceptable job, and if you dont like it then you can go to uni. At least you finished school, and (I assume) you're not going just going to stop doing anything and be a bum for several years.
MadeInCanada
So here's the problem: I'm in grade 11, and I graduate next year. I need to start worrying about which universities I'll be applying to next year and what I'll be studying.

The only problem is, I'm not interested in studying anything at all. I don't want to go to university and study something for the next 3 or 4 years. There's not really one thing that I'd like to pursue and spend my time studying for. I don't care to learn all this theoretical stuff and write essays about things - I'd rather just get out and do something. All I know is that I just want to get out and work with people.

I don't know what to do anymore! :confused:

Then just don't go to university. Already there are far too many students who just go because they don't know what else to do rather than becasue they're passionate enough about theeir subject to want to study it for 3 years. We don't need any more like that.

MB
Reply 10
Have you considered something like paediatric nursing or speech therapy? You could look into English Language, where you might be able to branch off into Child Linguistics studies, or Psychology etc? There are all sorts of jobs/courses you can look into that involve drama therapy/applied theatre (these workshops you see for children to take part in after schools etc).
Reply 11
Fiona87
Have you considered something like paediatric nursing or speech therapy? You could look into English Language, where you might be able to branch off into Child Linguistics studies, or Psychology etc? There are all sorts of jobs/courses you can look into that involve drama therapy/applied theatre (these workshops you see for children to take part in after schools etc).

Hmm.. No, actually. I've never thought about any of those. Thanks for suggesting them - I'll look into it more. :smile:
Reply 12
y don't u just take a year out? u could work with kids then, and then, if u still didn't want 2 go 2 uni, u wouldn't need to....!

Latest

Trending

Trending