The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
NW8_SW1_EC3
So by being a Muslim you are ignoring the fact that you're in the UK. Ok. I do understand where you're coming from but it is possible to live here and preserve traditional values of another culture whilst still embracing the British way of life.

I agree with you for European cultures because there is a high degree of cross-cultural values, even with the Chinese there isn't much of a difference. But I think with Africa, Western and Central Asia and the sub-continent it doesn't quite work out the same way - this is evident in that these regions generally represent the biggest failures to integrate into British society.

For example, I don't understand how you can be a Muslim and embrace traditional British values - that doesn't make sense*. A lot of Islamic values are contradictory to British values - e.g. the implicit adherence to the legacy of the treaty of Westphalia ~ you support your country not people on the other side of the planet, cue see outrage over anti-British soldier protests by a certain ethnic-cultural minority.

*unless you're a "cultural" Muslim who claims to be a Muslim because your parents are but ignore vast swathes of the Koran.
I'm British, I was born here and so were both my parents, and several generations before that, but I can't stand tea, I never eat fish and chips, I know next to nothing about British folklore, and I don't understand many British customs. But if if I was asked what my ethnicity or nationality or what ever you want to call it is, I will always say British. I have a British passport, and so no one can say I'm not British. Because, really, if you have the passport no one can dispute it, even though you may not fit the stereotypes of a particular nationality, or follow all of the traditions. And you don't have to be white nor do your parents have to be born here to be able to get a passport(/citizenship), and that's the only thing which can really make you British.
RyanT
I agree with you for European cultures because there is a high degree of cross-cultural values, even with the Chinese there isn't much of a difference. But I think with Africa, Western and Central Asia and the sub-continent it doesn't quite work out the same way - this is evident in that these regions generally represent the biggest failures to integrate into British society.

For example, I don't understand how you can be a Muslim and embrace traditional British values - that doesn't make sense*. A lot of Islamic values are contradictory to British values - e.g. the implicit adherence to the legacy of the treaty of Westphalia ~ you support your country not people on the other side of the planet, cue see outrage over anti-British soldier protests by a certain ethnic-cultural minority.

*unless you're a "cultural" Muslim who claims to be a Muslim because your parents are but ignore vast swathes of the Koran.

These being the majority of Muslims in the UK anyway making the very point redundant.
NW8_SW1_EC3
I think a fair few people need to look up the term 'British'. If you have a UK passport there is no debate about it, whereas being 'English' isn't a choice.

I was questioning his definition of British. I agree with you.
I-Ate-Cha
Mate, you have kind of twisted my meaning.

The way a British born Chinese would exist is if they are born here, however their parents were born in China. Is that hard to understand?

I think you misunderstood the way in which I used the word "truly".
The OP was hinting towards people from ethnic minorities never totally being able to fit into society/culture of this country, therefore not being 'truly' British.

However, using your example of a British born Chinese; I see there being no problem for such a person intergrating into British society, providing they were born and lived here all their life! I don't see how someone like this cannot be called "truly" British. The only difference between them and the kid next door is that their parents were not originally from the same country. Yes, upbringing may differ due to religion, however the 2 will be raised in the same environment.

Hope you get what I mean, glad if I was able to help :smile:

Lol, I could be your living case study here, since your describing exactly what I am. I regard myself as British, but being 'truly' British does not matter to me because, judging from this thread, it is a subjective thing.

Although, I do understand the OP's view. Little things growing up like not knowing every word to a Grease song at a school disco, parents who weren't overly enthusiastic with the idea of decorating egg shells for Easter or letting me go to a friend's house for a sleep-over were significant enough to lead me to question my identity. However, now i'm older, being "truly" british doesn't matter to me, but being content with who I am as a person matters more.
Reply 85
What is British exactly? People with English heritage enjoy a good curry. Infact the Chicken Tikka Masala is English.
RyanT
Lazy thinking. According to that logic how can British born Chinese exist? Only people with Chinese passports can be Chinese...

Very lazy thinking.

They are citizens of the United Kingdom, that doesn't even make them designate them as "British" according to your own criteria, just citizens of the UK since the UK encompasses a larger region then "Britain". Being a citizen of the UK is =\= being British.

But the term "British" can be applied to a passport, hence a British passport. If they hold a British passport then they are British.

I'm half Chinese; two cousins on my English side have actually obtained Malaysian passports, they were born there and speak the language, and so they are English yet also Malaysian. They are not British - or at least, they don't describe themselves as British. "British" is the nationality and to an extent the culture; English is the race and the culture

It is quite strange to hear them speak actually, their accents are so strong and because there are not many Malaysian English people, it can be quite startling.
Reply 87
BNP troll
One of the guys in this thread is one mother ******.
Reply 89
i think this whole thing is silly...being british is not just about going to the pub, easting roast on a sunday, being white??? whats happening to the world???? i am arab but i am british because i was born here and aint know one gonna tell me otherwise...i think that your forgetting the important thing.. while its important to accept the culture/traditions of where byour living(england) its also everyone elses responsibility to accept and recognise your culture and tradition also...its called not being ignorant... prejudice...i think everyone should be proud ofthere heritage and be proud that they are contributing to this multicultural society.
^or at least that's the way it's supposed to work in theory.
If we are counting mixed race as an ethnic minority, then no, I don't feel British. However this is nothing to do with "quirks" or "cuisine" etc (although I'm not really a fan of British food lol), I just don't call myself British because I'm not from 4 countries at once - I'm English plain and simple.

Although I can see where you're going with this one. I wasn't really raised "British" as I started off at a very diverse school. Due to the internationality of the place you where known by your parents' race(s) and so I grew up calling myself "Jamaican/Irish" rather than English. Plus i've never really been seen as British anyway in my experience, just a subrace of my parents (although I am working to change that). In addition I grew up with a predominantly Black family as I had no connection to my mother's White side and still don't.

Now that I've moved to a predominantly English/British/White area I have realised how un-British I am in a way. I guess I never noticed it so much before as it never came up. However a while ago I had a conversation with a mate with regards to race - he was born and raised in England but identifies as welsh as both his parents are, he even uses a welsh accent even though his sister does not :rolleyes:
Anyway, he then asked me what I identified as, to which I replied "mixed". He contradicted me and told me that wasn't a race, and that I had to pick one or the other in a jokey fashion. It is obvious to me now that when you are mixed you aren't seen as British or English; you are seen as mixed.

Bear in mind that I am just speaking of my own experience and not that other other ethnic minorites.
Reply 92
Britain is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland who all have differents foods and cultures so what is British? British doesn't mean anything that words on a passport because it doesn't have a culture or any foods.

You really are retarded. I think you probably meant English. If you can't tell the difference you are in no position to make this thread.
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sanjiv
Britain is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland who all have differents foods and cultures so what is British? British doesn't mean anything that words on a passport because it doesn't have a culture or any foods.

You really are retarded. I think you probably meant English. If you can't tell the difference you are in no position to make this thread.

Tikka Masala is British :yep:
Reply 95
The origins of chicken tikka masala are disputed. A widely reported explanation of the origins of the dish is that it was conceived in a British Bangladeshi restaurant in Glasgow in the late 1960s, when a customer, who found the traditional chicken tikka too dry, asked for some gravy. The chef supposedly improvised a sauce from tomato soup, yogurt and spices. This claim has not been incontrovertibly proven, and there are other accounts and hypotheses of its origins.

Started off in Scotland but in an Indian restaurant. Can be disputed mate.
Reply 96
Some would argue there's no such thing as being British anymore.
Reply 97
SnowAngel
Some would argue there's no such thing as being British anymore.

True.
Though instead of all the inappropriate spamming/taunting, could I please have some decent, half-intellectual replies?
ADREAM
True.
Though instead of all the inappropriate spamming/taunting, could I please have some decent, half-intellectual replies?

ehem :mad:
sanjiv
The origins of chicken tikka masala are disputed. A widely reported explanation of the origins of the dish is that it was conceived in a British Bangladeshi restaurant in Glasgow in the late 1960s, when a customer, who found the traditional chicken tikka too dry, asked for some gravy. The chef supposedly improvised a sauce from tomato soup, yogurt and spices. This claim has not been incontrovertibly proven, and there are other accounts and hypotheses of its origins.

Started off in Scotland but in an Indian restaurant. Can be disputed mate.

I greatly respect your passion for curry.
Glasgow pakora is where it's at.

Latest

Trending

Trending