The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Hughes Hall (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Variable
Hi I am considering applying to Hughes Hall as I am a mature student. I'm thinking of applying for BA Economics. I have been made aware that should I be invited to interview at the college I would have to take a test, has anyone done this test?

If so is it possible to prepare for it?

What kind of test is it?

How long does it last?

Are there any practise tests?

Rep for anyone who can help.

Don't do it, apply to another college.

I did Economics BA at Hughes Hall, it was a nightmare. There was zero support for Economics students, we barely had any supervisions which put us at seriously disadvantage relative to other Economics students at better colleges. The Director of Studies for Economics at Hughes Hall doesn't even have a masters or a PhD degree, he did Econ BA 50 years ago, and he is unable to solve basic macro exercises set by lecturers.

They don't even have the basic textbooks in the Hughes Hall library, so make sure you have an extra 10 000 pounds and 2 cubic metre of extra space in your college room to buy your own textbooks. College room prices at Hughes Hall are above market price levels, they try to squeeze as much money as possible from students in the form of college room rent. Notice that at Hughes Hall, you have to pay for the college room even in the off-term period while at other colleges you pay only for term time.

If you are an international student, Hughes Hall is a definite no-no. For example, I had a lot of problems with an English girl from Essex who lived next to my college room, she organised loud parties with lots of guests in exam season who constantly harrassed me while I was trying to sleep before my final exams. When I asked people in the Hughes facebook group to refrain from loud partying in college accommodation in exam season, I was told off by the college !!!!! They took the side of the English girl, without investigating the details or caring about the interest of other students.

I mean I paid a lot of money to Hughes Hall in fees and then I got treated like sht from the moment my fees had been transferred to them. I expected a standard number and quality of supervision classes and a reasonably appropriate environment for studying. I did not get any of these. But the college was always very efficient at collecting huge sums of money from students, they regularly charged me for internet which was meant to be free for UK university students everywhere in the UK. But they have never compensated me for the damage they did to my career prospects or their failure to provide the education standards they promised, for example.

They had a lot of money for college staff welfare spending, pool tables, Stenway pianos, but nothing for Economics supervisions and teaching. WTF. Hughes Hall is a scam.

Moral of the story is that you should not apply to Hughes Hall if you are not from England. Wolfson is much better, so is St Edmund's.
(edited 7 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 41
Anyone going to Hughes Hall this year? Have you paid your fees/ got your confirmation yet?
Original post by knightsoftemplar
Don't do it, apply to another college.

I did Economics BA at Hughes Hall, it was a nightmare. There was zero support for Economics students, we barely had any supervisions which put us at seriously disadvantage relative to other Economics students at better colleges. The Director of Studies for Economics at Hughes Hall doesn't even have a masters or a PhD degree, he did Econ BA 50 years ago, and he is unable to solve basic macro exercises set by lecturers.

They don't even have the basic textbooks in the Hughes Hall library, so make sure you have an extra 10 000 pounds and 2 cubic metre of extra space in your college room to buy your own textbooks. College room prices at Hughes Hall are above market price levels, they try to squeeze as much money as possible from students in the form of college room rent. Notice that at Hughes Hall, you have to pay for the college room even in the off-term period while at other colleges you pay only for term time.

If you are an international student, Hughes Hall is a definite no-no. For example, I had a lot of problems with an English girl from Essex who lived next to my college room, she organised loud parties with lots of guests in exam season who constantly harrassed me while I was trying to sleep before my final exams. When I asked people in the Hughes facebook group to refrain from loud partying in college accommodation in exam season, I was told off by the college !!!!! They took the side of the English girl, without investigating the details or caring about the interest of other students.

I mean I paid a lot of money to Hughes Hall in fees and then I got treated like sht from the moment my fees had been transferred to them. I expected a standard number and quality of supervision classes and a reasonably appropriate environment for studying. I did not get any of these. But the college was always very efficient at collecting huge sums of money from students, they regularly charged me for internet which was meant to be free for UK university students everywhere in the UK. But they have never compensated me for the damage they did to my career prospects or their failure to provide the education standards they promised, for example.

They had a lot of money for college staff welfare spending, pool tables, Stenway pianos, but nothing for Economics supervisions and teaching. WTF. Hughes Hall is a scam.

Moral of the story is that you should not apply to Hughes Hall if you are not from England. Wolfson is much better, so is St Edmund's.

Well, I was an international student and i was in Hughes Hall and I find your allegations imaginary and rather untruthful.

1. It is laughable that you allege that a DOS at The University of Cambridge does not have a masters or a PHD. I am now wondering whether you actually met the DOS or you met someone else. But just to help out, all the college members for Business and ECONOMICS are listed on the website under academic life.

2. About textbooks, colleges are not supposed to be the source of comprehensive research material. That is why every Faculty has its own comprehensive library to cater for your academic needs. Even in the circumstances, I spent countless hours in the library and whenever I needed a book that was not available, there was a form on the library webiste and physical requisition forms which you would fill in and the college librarians would purchase the book for the library. Those ladies are amazing and extremely helpful. You just need to ask.

3. No one ever needs 10000 pounds to buy books in Cambridge or anywhere in the world for that matter. This is a false alarm.

4. About rent, again that is another lie. If you think Hughes charges so much, then you haven't been to other colleges and seen the cubicles in which they sleep and the amount they pay for those little cubicles. My only issue with Hughes is with the KFC and IFC big sums which i find ridiculous and plainly unfair but last term, a review was done on all prices and they were reduced.

That notwithstanding, you make it seem like Hughes was charging you got something that no one else charges. That is another lie. Just look at all other college wesites. For example, Magdalene charges 2.85 pounds per week for internet and KFC of 184 pounds. Kings charges KFC 127.65. At Fitz, you get 100GB only after which you will be charged per GB you use. Clare charges 33 pounds. St Edmund charges 40 pounds. Even in rich Queens, you only get 5GB a month after which you are charged for any extras. In short, nothing is free as you allege.
5. About the loud parties, I do recall the exchange in the Facebook group and its general nature. You should have made a formal complaint to college and the matter would have been investigated with exact facts and resolved appropriately. You cannot make a general complaint and then allege that college took the side of someone else, when you did not fully disclose the circumstances. I found college to be very strict with noise and saw the porters take the issue seriously when people would raise it.

6. You paid tuition fees to the university through Hughes. Hughes only got its composition fee so dont mix up issues here as to who got the money.

7. About pool tables, there is only one pool table found in the college bar, which is the same or even less than what you find in other colleges. The pianos have been in college for years so it is not like every month the college is buying a new piano at the expense of any priority.

8. Yes I was an international student who applied to Hughes and I had a very comfortable stay that I could not trade for anything. Everyone I met was extremely nice and helpful to me and I loved the mature feel of the college and how informal it was.
Reply 43
If i have an offer from kings college London(kcl) and one from hughes hall. Should I accept hughes hall? Or is kcl a better college experience. In terms of the social life and academic support offered? By social life i do not mean parties and drinking nights out etc . I just mean making good friends. Given that I'm 21 and not too good at mixing with older people.
Hi everyone!
I have an offer to study graduate medicine at Hughes Hall, but I really want to hear current students experiences of both the hall and the course before firming cambridge.
I hear that you have to write 3/4 essays per week, which to me sounds excessive considering lectures/clinical attachments/general revision and a social life! Anyone that can confirm what the workload/experience/support is like would be amazing, as I really want to make the right decision for me.
Please PM me if you have any info, and thank you so much if you take the time to do this :h:
Tash x

Quick Reply

Latest