You can imagine it as having the structure O=O+-O-

i.e. a positive central oxygen and a negative end oxygen --> overall neutral
I've seen OCR allow a cyclic single bonded structure in mark schemes, too
chemicalguy
I've seen OCR allow a cyclic single bonded structure in mark schemes, too

oh dear...
couldn't agree more
Reply 5
I can't decide which is worse - giving credit for a cyclic O3, or teaching the structure of dioxygen as O=O...
I always thought ozone was this: (disregard the dashes)

-----O
----/--\
--O____O

Is that wrong/why?
G O D I V A
I always thought ozone was this: (disregard the dashes)

-----O
----/--\
--O____O

Is that wrong/why?

It's wrong because that is not the structure...

1. it would be very stressed (not impossibly so)
2. the alternative structure (below) is of much lower energy.

This is the Lewis structure of ozone. In reality there is no double and single bond, rather they both have a 1.5 bond value.
charco
It's wrong because that is not the structure...

1. it would be very stressed (not impossibly so)

Why is that not the structure though? Each O bonds twice and has a full outer shell. What do you mean by stressed?

charco

2. the alternative structure (below) is of much lower energy.

So for the central oxygen there's a 'double' bond between one O, and then there's a dative covalent bond between the other?

What do you mean by lower energy?
G O D I V A
Why is that not the structure though? Each O bonds twice and has a full outer shell. What do you mean by stressed?

Stress happens when the bond angles are less than the preferred arrangement adopted by the electrons.
In an equilateral triangle the inner bond angle is 60º. However when atoms have four regions of electron density around the central atom they adopt a tetrahedral arrangement with a bond angle of 109.5º.
You cannot make a triangle with three inner bond angles adding up to 3 x 109.5º.!

So for the central oxygen there's a 'double' bond between one O, and then there's a dative covalent bond between the other?

As I explained the actual situation is an average between a double and a single bond. The Lewis structure is shown as a double and single bond, however, for simplification.

What do you mean by lower energy?

Lower energy means that it is more stable. More stability means that it is preferentially formed.

Latest