The Student Room Group

Economics Degree/psychology degree

Hi,

I am wondering whether I should do an economics or psychology degree.
A levels are
Maths, Psychology, Chemistry, (History)

I dont know which degree to pursue because I find psychology very interesting but on the other hand i have no idea what economics is but i always found money etc interesting but that isnt enough to base the rest of my life on. Psychology, am I right to say that there are few jobs in this area whereas there are billions of jobs in economics.............

Also i dont have economics A level, so I was wondering if it may be a big step to do it at degree level-so i was wondering if there was a correlation between A level economists and those who got a first or 2.1 for economics at uni, I am afraid that if I do economics degree i may be behind before I start. Anyone have any statistics on the matter?

Thanks
David
If you want a career in Psychology, be prepared to fight your ass off for postgraduate training.
GodspeedGehenna
If you want a career in Psychology, be prepared to fight your ass off for postgraduate training.

This.
So many people say to me that psych is an "easy" degree and it's easy to get a job - ********. You need to work like a fecking dog every summer/holiday opportunity to get work experience, and you need to work hard when you're at uni to get a good enough grade.
Reply 3
It doesn't matter too much that you havn't done Economics A Level.

If you're extremely good at Statistics and enjoy it, maybe its something you can consider. However, don't just blindly apply because its can lead to highly paid careers - ask yourself whether you can see yourself studying it for 3+ years at uni.
Reply 4
david_man
Hi,

A levels are

I dont know which degree to pursue because I find psychology very interesting but on the other hand i have no idea what economics is but i always found money etc interesting but that isnt enough to base the rest of my life on. Psychology, am I right to say that there are few jobs in this area whereas there are billions of jobs in economics.............

Also i dont have economics A level, so I was wondering if it may be a big step to do it at degree level-so i was wondering if there was a correlation between A level economists and those who got a first or 2.1 for economics at uni, I am afraid that if I do economics degree i may be behind before I start. Anyone have any statistics on the matter?

Thanks
David

For the Economics degree, I don't think it matters if you have studied Economics before. History and Maths will stand you in good stead because A' Level History often focuses on the effects of economic policy on people. If you have an interest in how Economics affects people and you're good at Maths, you should be fine.

Psychology isn't only about practising in a clinical setting - You could go into occupational psychology if you have an interest in applying psychological theory to work settings. They can earn a lot of money.
Original post by david_man
Hi,

A levels are

Thanks
David

Hi I know its been a few years but I'm curious to find out what you did in the end and whether you're happy with your choice, I doubt ill get a reply but hopefully I will because I'm in the same exact situation, I find psychology so interesting and I'm good at economics but I don't think I'm that passionate to work on it intensely for 3 years. I think I'm gonna end up in Scotland since I can do both separately but yeah just wanted to know your thoughts on whichever course you took and at what uni.

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending