The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I also picked it up at school, i'm originally from Hastings and my parents always brought me up to speak properly.
But when i went to secondary school, one of my friends kept teasing me saying i talked too 'posh'.
So i ended up picking it up :frown: i generally don't speak like that now but every once in a while it slips.
Gremlins
:biggrin: lul. Better than living in Yorkshire - I'm surprised going to places like Sheffield doesn't make you feel physically sick :p:
Who says it doesn't...

GJ on choosing Brum over Leeds btw.
Reply 82
bigman_ben
no neither, I'll provide an example
"Is he oreight nah?"
"Aye, he's gerrin berrer"

I'm from Sheff and I never say the Ts as Rs, that sounds stronger, more like Barnsley or something.
Yeah, sometimes.
Reply 84
Gremlins
:biggrin: lul. Better than living in Yorkshire - I'm surprised going to places like Sheffield doesn't make you feel physically sick :p:

:spank: Sheffield isn't that bad!
I practically always use the glottal stop instead of pronouncing T, and I come from Chichester in West Sussex, not an area particularly known for a strong regional accent ... I'm sure some of the people saying "no" must just not even realise that they do do it, I thought it was quite a common British thing. I never realised I did it until my American friends pointed it out to me (but I still think it's better than pronouncing T as D...).

Apparently it does occasionally come out in my German, though, now that is a problem ...
It varies depending on what I'm saying and how fast I'm saying it, I always drop the T on it. It also changes with where the T is in the word.
No, though my English teacher likes to assume that we all do. He also likes to tell us that we should have Estuary English accents, when I think one person in the class could be considered to use it.
Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I was born near London and lived there until I was 8 so I picked it up really easily. I moved when I was 8 though to a part rural, part urban area so I've lost some of it.

My discourse analysis lecturer, whose German, does the best impression of someone doing it.

Latest