The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
I'd advise waiting until you are actually there to change. Presumably the standard offer/entry requirements for both courses are the same, and moving within the same department shouldn't be too difficult.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
ninety_nine
I'd advise waiting until you are actually there to change. Presumably the standard offer/entry requirements for both courses are the same, and moving within the same department shouldn't be too difficult.

If i wait till i get in, wont it be too late?
wizz_kid
If i wait till i get in, wont it be too late?

I wouldn't have thought so - at the begining of any university term there will be people who want to change course, and depending on the uni/individual circumstance, differerent amounts of people will be allowed to do so. If you wrote to them now asking to change course i.e during the application process, they'd most likely withdraw your current offer, and re-consider you for the other course (which will almost certainly be full by now). This would mean a rejection, and no UCL offer for you at all.

If you're in doubt then try e-mailing the ug-admissions people, inquiring about the procedure for changing courses. I personally think the best course of action would be to wait.
Reply 4
ninety_nine
I wouldn't have thought so - at the begining of any university term there will be people who want to change course, and depending on the uni/individual circumstance, differerent amounts of people will be allowed to do so. If you wrote to them now asking to change course i.e during the application process, they'd most likely withdraw your current offer, and re-consider you for the other course (which will almost certainly be full by now). This would mean a rejection, and no UCL offer for you at all.

If you're in doubt then try e-mailing the ug-admissions people, inquiring about the procedure for changing courses. I personally think the best course of action would be to wait.

Thanks for the advise. Yea elec engg is full as it is not in ucas extra , forget about clearing. So yea i mite just wait till i get in.

Cheers
No problem. Good luck.
Reply 6
ninety_nine
No problem. Good luck.

ty
wizz_kid
ty

I recently changed courses within the same department at UCL and my offer wasn't withdrawn. I emailed the department I wanted to transfer to, I didn't hear anything at all (not even a reply to my email) for a month, then I got a letter saying that my request to transfer had been accepted and it changed on track. I'm sure they wouldn't withdraw you, if they were to not allow you to transfer, then they'd simply say no and leave you with your original offer...
adilmorrison
I recently changed courses within the same department at UCL and my offer wasn't withdrawn. I emailed the department I wanted to transfer to, I didn't hear anything at all (not even a reply to my email) for a month, then I got a letter saying that my request to transfer had been accepted and it changed on track. I'm sure they wouldn't withdraw you, if they were to not allow you to transfer, then they'd simply say no and leave you with your original offer...

well it depends. At LSE, they withdraw your offer in order to be reconsidered for another course. So I would say its always better to contact the admissions officer first.
BetterThanYesterday
well it depends. At LSE, they withdraw your offer in order to be reconsidered for another course. So I would say its always better to contact the admissions officer first.

Well the OP asked about UCL, so I was only telling them about my experience with UCL and that of others...
adilmorrison

SERIOUSLY?!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

That has really made me a bit more hopeful, I've emailed them asking for a possible change of course (well same course but different language) but haven't heard anything back from them at all, and it was really starting to worry me. The only thing is the month's waiting, I don't want to have to wait for my beginning of May deadline to firm...but other than that:

:woo:
cactussed
SERIOUSLY?!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

That has really made me a bit more hopeful, I've emailed them asking for a possible change of course (well same course but different language) but haven't heard anything back from them at all, and it was really starting to worry me. The only thing is the month's waiting, I don't want to have to wait for my beginning of May deadline to firm...but other than that:

:woo:

I was in EXACTLY the same position... I wanted to change languages... Like I said, I emailed and didn't hear anything back for over a month and then got a letter from UCL and another from UCAS...

Goodluck!
adilmorrison
I was in EXACTLY the same position... I wanted to change languages... Like I said, I emailed and didn't hear anything back for over a month and then got a letter from UCL and another from UCAS...

Goodluck!

Thanks! When was it you emailed them by the way? And did you send them a reminder, to give them a nudge, or did you just wait out the month to see if they would reply?
cactussed
Thanks! When was it you emailed them by the way? And did you send them a reminder, to give them a nudge, or did you just wait out the month to see if they would reply?

I must have emailed them in the last week of February... When I didn't get a response, I just thought that it had got lost, so I left it and thought I'd try and change once I got there... What languages are you trying to change to btw?
Reply 14
adilmorrison

That is sikk! Thanks a lot for this info!

Just outa interest, did u offer go up or stayed the same?

Thanks again!
adilmorrison
I must have emailed them in the last week of February... When I didn't get a response, I just thought that it had got lost, so I left it and thought I'd try and change once I got there... What languages are you trying to change to btw?

OK, this is quite complicated...

I applied for French and ab initio Italian. However, I would really have liked to do French and ab initio German, and all my other uni options were for that. I only applied to UCL because it's in London. However, UCL put on their website that they didn't do ab initio German, which they have now changed to say that they do.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prosp-students/prospectus/arts-and-humanities/modern-languages/

The thing is, I've just noticed that it says it's for 2010 entry, so I doubt whether they'd allow me to switch to that course for 2009 entry. Aaargh, it's so frustrating! :woo:

So yeah, basically it's French/Italian to French/German. How about you?
cactussed
OK, this is quite complicated...

I applied for French and ab initio Italian. However, I would really have liked to do French and ab initio German, and all my other uni options were for that. I only applied to UCL because it's in London. However, UCL put on their website that they didn't do ab initio German, which they have now changed to say that they do.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prosp-students/prospectus/arts-and-humanities/modern-languages/

The thing is, I've just noticed that it says it's for 2010 entry, so I doubt whether they'd allow me to switch to that course for 2009 entry. Aaargh, it's so frustrating! :woo:

So yeah, basically it's French/Italian to French/German. How about you?

Oh I see... That's pretty complicated! I applied to do German and I wanted to switch to German with ab intio Russian!
adilmorrison
Oh I see... That's pretty complicated! I applied to do German and I wanted to switch to German with ab intio Russian!

That's quite a cool combo. I might see you there then! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending