The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'm doing Higher History and I didn't do Higher English if that helps.

As to whether she'd struggle - it really does just depend on how much effort she puts in. If she really struggled with essay technique then surely her teacher will be able to help her out, if not maybe a tutor?

If it is problems with essays then maybe the Extended Essay would be a bit of a challenge, although I'm doing mine right now and with a bit of guidance from the department on structure it's going okay.
I think it really depends whether she is willing to put in the effort.

Hopefully there is something legible in all that :p:.
You don't need to do English to do History. If you get a credit grade at SG in history then you can do it. The only thing is higher history is almost completely essay based so english is a big help. Of all the people in my higher history class, those doing higher english seemed to get the As and Bs in the final exam and those doing int 2 english were the ones getting Cs and fails so that kind of speaks for itself. But if your friend is good with expressing themselves with words they will almost definitely do well.
Reply 3
Reply 4
LuhLah
Yeah, she likes creative writing, and I've promised to help her out, IF she just doesn't sit on her ass and play xbox all the time. She can do very good introductions, and conclusions to essays, but I've taught her the P.E.E technique, so when your writing the points of your essay, it goes Point Evidence Evaluation, and that should hopefully help.

It's good that she can write good introductions and conclusions as, from what I've seen they are very important. My teacher always said that he'd read the introduction and conclusion and then skim read the middle bit :p:.

In relation to the other poster, I didn't do Higher English and only got a 2 at Credit but I'm getting A's. I suppose it just varies from person to person.

Either way, as long as she puts in some effort - she should be fine.
Reply 5
I got chucked out of Higher History because I got a 3 in SG geography. (which was then put up to a 2 on appeal thanks to my awesome prelim, then I ended up getting a B at Higher, and am now doing AH)

They do too much germany in my school anyway.
Reply 7
TheJeebs
I got chucked out of Higher History because I got a 3 in SG geography.

That's odd. Teachers can be awfully pedantic.
Reply 8
No you don't need to be doing Higher Englihs to do Higher History.

I didn't do SG History but Int2 and got a A (which was by chance really!) during 3rd/4th year. In 5th year I done Int2 English and Higher History and done bad in both, both C's but I was predicted B's in both, just bad day as I knew my stuff but lost time due to a very annoying cold!

But it is possible to get good grades if you work.
Reply 9
Bretagnez
I'm doing Higher History and I didn't do Higher English if that helps.

As to whether she'd struggle - it really does just depend on how much effort she puts in. If she really struggled with essay technique then surely her teacher will be able to help her out, if not maybe a tutor?

If it is problems with essays then maybe the Extended Essay would be a bit of a challenge, although I'm doing mine right now and with a bit of guidance from the department on structure it's going okay.
I think it really depends whether she is willing to put in the effort.

Hopefully there is something legible in all that :p:.

im doing my higher history extended essay right now. and im finding it really boring! the research is unbearable. i dont mind the normal history essays, but the extended is just too boring. however, i am willing to put the effort in, because i really need to get a grade B. how much effort and time do you think i'll need to put in to get a grade B?
Reply 10
Reply 11
M15123
im doing my higher history extended essay right now. and im finding it really boring! the research is unbearable. i dont mind the normal history essays, but the extended is just too boring. however, i am willing to put the effort in, because i really need to get a grade B. how much effort and time do you think i'll need to put in to get a grade B?

I'm crashing, I'm aiming for a B, I think it'll be a lot of work... Depends what question you're doing though?

I got feedback on my first draft and the lecturer said it was fine apart from the fact I have to mention certain things I didn't put in... So that'll be getting fixed.

Actually pooping myself, prelim tomorrow and I am not prepared... Why the hell did we have to do the Cold War instead of Appeasement?! ;_;
Well, Higher English is a big help, but not a necessity. There are people in my history class doing Int 2 English, although, as moonshine_1991 said, they tend to struggle more. I think its certainly possible with hard work, but if she's really lazy like you say, I don't think its looking good :frown:
Reply 13
LuhLah
This was posted a while ago lol. She ended up doing Int 2 psychology and sociology as she failed all her credit exams.

Oops, should check dates better :o:

Latest

Trending

Trending