The Student Room Group

Help with GCSE coursework issue *urgent*

OK, so my brother is in year 11 doing his GCSEs, and they had to hand in their coursework for Geography before christmas, which he did.

However, suddenly, on the last day of term today he got a letter from the head of Gerography saying that his coursework was a grade D, and seeing he is predicted A for this subject this wasnt to his full potential.

they are running 2 full day sessions during the easter holiday for them to come in and improve their coursework with teacher supervision.

there are several things that i think are strange about this.
1. his friend who is an A* student got the same letter saying he got a D when he was previously assured his coursework was fine.
2. Being told their grade before moderation/results for it officially come out.
3. running sessions after the deadline to improve it, when they have already had first drafts ect.

Does anyone else think this is weird? or even not particularly legal.
If anyone could help I would appreciate it as my mother really doesnt know what to do or who to talk to about this.
thanks in advance
You sure the letter is legitimate?
Reply 2
its the school, I think they marked the c/w really high and therfore the moderation lowering everyone elses c.w. Happened to me and our year in Graphics. I was predicted an A* aswell as some kids getting predicted B/C's. In our year group no one got a B majority got a D and 1 or 2 got C. He marked our c/w extremely high and failed to tell us that moderators marked it lower. So we had no time to improve and thus ****** it all up lol

ye bottom line, complain and find out
Reply 3
Does his coursework look like A grade standard? Does seem a little weird...
Reply 4
hols_bols
OK, so my brother is in year 11 doing his GCSEs, and they had to hand in their coursework for Geography before christmas, which he did.

However, suddenly, on the last day of term today he got a letter from the head of Gerography saying that his coursework was a grade D, and seeing he is predicted A for this subject this wasnt to his full potential.

they are running 2 full day sessions during the easter holiday for them to come in and improve their coursework with teacher supervision.

1. his friend who is an A* student got the same letter saying he got a D when he was previously assured his coursework was fine.
2. Being told their grade before moderation/results for it officially come out.
3. running sessions after the deadline to improve it, when they have already had first drafts ect.

If anyone could help I would appreciate it as my mother really doesnt know what to do or who to talk to about this.
thanks in advance

....Women :shifty:
Would they not have said something in person to him?
I hope my coursework isn't moderated down. That would suck; it sometimes scares me to see how high a grades I receive for hardly any (in my opinion) input.
Reply 7
Inkie
Does his coursework look like A grade standard? Does seem a little weird...

My brothers could possibly be a D
but his friend really shouldnt have a D, his mum inquired about his cw several times and was assured it was fine.

Myth717
its the school, I think they marked the c/w really high and therfore the moderation lowering everyone elses c.w. Happened to me and our year in Graphics. I was predicted an A* aswell as some kids getting predicted B/C's. In our year group no one got a B majority got a D and 1 or 2 got C. He marked our c/w extremely high and failed to tell us that moderators marked it lower. So we had no time to improve and thus ****** it all up lol

ye bottom line, complain and find out

it hasnt been moderated yet, they are doing these sessions in the holidays to boost grades before they go off for moderation, even though it is past the schools final deadline for them to hand it in.
Reply 8
It's possible they've both just forgotten to add something vital, that is preventing them from getting top grades.. like a bibliography or something?
Reply 9
hols_bols

2. Being told their grade before moderation/results for it officially come out.3. running sessions after the deadline to improve it, when they have already had first drafts ect.

thanks in advance

Don't know about the rest of it, but we've always been told our marks before they get moderated. (basically because the marking in certain departments is very good and it's very rare for it to actually change after it's been moderated). And if your brothers got the chance of extra time/help to improve his c/w then he should go for it!
Reply 10
Inkie
It's possible they've both just forgotten to add something vital, that is preventing them from getting top grades.. like a bibliography or something?

hmm i guess but it didnt seem like that from the letter. it said 'but the quality of the coursework submitted is a grade D, below his potential.'
Reply 11
:confused: Oh well.. what can you do?
If any of my coursework gets moderated down, I'm going to be on a headhunt . . .

Latest