The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A step in the wrong direction.
Reply 2
Not quite
Reply 3
Buh? I thought we'd put the islamopsychopaths *out* of power =/.
Reply 4
I'm trying to understand how marital rape was extracted from that article?
Reply 5
Meus
I'm trying to understand how marital rape was extracted from that article?

Women having a legal requirement to let their husbands doink them at least once every four nights? If she doesn't want to have sex but is forced to by law that's pretty much equivalent to being raped in my book.
Reply 6
Gremlins
Women having a legal requirement to let their husbands doink them at least once every four nights? If she doesn't want to have sex but is forced to by law that's pretty much equivalent to being raped in my book.

You are way out of your league here.
Reply 8
Gremlins
Care to explain why, exactly?

Sure.

One criticism of women's rights in Islam is the notion that they are sex objects for their husbands and refer to that verse which stipulates that women should not refuse their husband's sexual needs if they are not ill or tired mentally or physically. There are obligations put forth for both husband and wife, but what those critics won't tell you is that the husband himself is also obliged to fulfil his wife sexually. There are verses in the Quran but the one that resonates this best is the following:

“Permitted to you, on the night of the fasts, is the approach to your wives. They are garments for you and you are garments for them.” [2.187]

I don't even know where this suggestion of marital rape comes from, even from that verse which reminds women of their obligation. The Prophet (saw) however warned against enforcing yourself upon her, "Not one of you should fall upon your wife like an animal" and when asked how one should approach her for sex, he replied "kisses and words".

This is why I was confused with the article. I've seen others perceive that marital rape is condoned in Islam because they find out that a woman is told not to refuse her husband, but think this is an obligation exclusive only to the wife. But assuming for a moment that it even was, that the husband had no obligation to satisfy his wife sexually, what is there in the texts that says "if she refuses, enforce upon her regardless"?
Reply 9
We're talking about a specific law going through the Afghan parliament here, Meus. Not your ideal version of Islam.
Reply 10
Gremlins
We're talking about a specific law going through the Afghan parliament here, Meus. Not your ideal version of Islam.

Gremlins, if you want to make reference to Islamic law or doctrine then actually research it. I'm not here challenging your opinions on the article itself, but I will contest any wrongs you make (unintentionally or intentionally) in regards to the religious text itself, hence why I said earlier that you are out of your league as you evidently don't understand it.

This is no "ideal version of Islam" as to if to imply what I've said above is a lie (unless you want to challenge it, in which case I would enjoy reading your rebuttals). This is Islam as it is. There is no marital rape it, or condoning of marital rape. I will say it again if you want to contest that then do so intelligently with evidence to support it, instead of trying to patronise and dismiss my points when I take the time to answer your questions. There is no need to get petty here
Reply 11
Meus
Sure.

One criticism of women's rights in Islam is the notion that they are sex objects for their husbands and refer to that verse which stipulates that women should not refuse their husband's sexual needs if they are not ill or tired mentally or physically. There are obligations put forth for both husband and wife, but what those critics won't tell you is that the husband himself is also obliged to fulfil his wife sexually. There are verses in the Quran but the one that resonates this best is the following:

“Permitted to you, on the night of the fasts, is the approach to your wives. They are garments for you and you are garments for them.” [2.187]

I don't even know where this suggestion of marital rape comes from, even from that verse which reminds women of their obligation. The Prophet (saw) however warned against enforcing yourself upon her, "Not one of you should fall upon your wife like an animal" and when asked how one should approach her for sex, he replied "kisses and words".

This is why I was confused with the article. I've seen others perceive that marital rape is condoned in Islam because they find out that a woman is told not to refuse her husband, but think this is an obligation exclusive only to the wife. But assuming for a moment that it even was, that the husband had no obligation to satisfy his wife sexually, what is there in the texts that says "if she refuses, enforce upon her regardless"?

I'm not a Muslim but i'm assuming (sorry if i'm wrong) that you are. Surely a lot of the perceived inequality within Muslims is actually present. Would i be right in saying that tho it's more of a reflection of the patriarchal society rather than religion itself?

I'm an atheist and please don't be offended when i say this but i think cultures/religions in general are yearnings of society for a certain kind of order, and are more reflections of a society than anything else. That's why i think that in poor countries like Afghanistan that patriarchal culture is still relevant and certain aspects of religion will be used to both justify actions and religion will be criticised as a result, no?

Most of society on this planet is patriarchal no matter which way we look at it and the differences between us are issues of social development, i think.
Reply 12
Gremlins

Oh, how magnanimous of them. What a progressive, happy, egalitarian nation the new Afghanistan is!

I don't think an invasion and occupation will change a certain society just like that.
Reply 13
Gremlins, if you want to make reference to Islamic law or doctrine then actually research it. I'm not here challenging your opinions on the article itself, but I will contest any wrongs you make (unintentionally or intentionally) in regards to the religious text itself, hence why I said earlier that you are out of your league as you evidently don't understand it.

This is no "ideal version of Islam" as to if to imply what I've said above is a lie (unless you want to challenge it, in which case I would enjoy reading your rebuttals). This is Islam as it is. There is no marital rape it, or condoning of marital rape. I will say it again if you want to contest that then do so intelligently with evidence to support it, instead of trying to patronise and dismiss my points when I take the time to answer your questions. There is no need to get petty here

Except when a Parliament made almost entirely of Muslims passes a law stopping women from one Muslim sect from being able to refuse to have sex (and banning them from leaving their home or getting a job without their husband's permission), ostensibly because they think it will be a vote winner in a largely Muslim country, then I think we *can* talk about marital rape in Islam.

I'm not a Muslim but i'm assuming (sorry if i'm wrong) that you are. Surely a lot of the perceived inequality within Muslims is actually present. Would i be right in saying that tho it's more of a reflection of the patriarchal society rather than religion itself?

Well, objectively speaking, where does religion stop and society end? You can't divorce the two that easily - if it's happening in a society where a majority of people are fairly devout Muslims, then it is IMO entirely fair to talk about Islam being misogynystic.
Reply 14
Reefer

The question of inequality in Islam is a two sided blade and I'll explain what I mean by that. There is firstly the question of the religion itself; all three of the Abrahamic faiths adopt a patriarchal-like system in their society in regards to men and women where by husbands are given more responsibilities (burdens from a religious point of view) and hence a longer list of authorities when in comparison to women. In short, there is no 'equality' in the sense of equal or identical roles pertained to both genders but instead differing roles which are equally valued within the religion. Despite the latter, it is not enough to satisfy some of the criticism. This is because anything that does not mean our social norms of 'rights', we automatically consider to be lesser than those rights.

The other side doesn't relate to religion itself but cultural practices. Many will use the Taliban as to measure women's rights in Islam but this would be a dishonest attempt. Some would even use honour killings, because it is done by Muslims, as an another show of the treatment of women - completing ignoring the fact that Islam's religious teachings to be quite explicit against such a thing, or that Hindu's, Sikhs, and others do the same thing. It's a mess in which people cannot distinguish between what religion actually prescribes and what those who claim to follow those prescriptions actually do, the contradiction in their actions is neither apparent to them or the critics.

I'm an atheist and please don't be offended when i say this but i think cultures/religions in general are yearnings of society for a certain kind of order, and are more reflections of a society than anything else. That's why i think that in poor countries like Afghanistan that patriarchal culture is still relevant and certain aspects of religion will be used to both justify actions and religion will be criticised as a result, no?

That's an interesting way of looking at it

Most of society on this planet is patriarchal no matter which way we look at it and the differences between us are issues of social development, i think.

True. We're blind to it but we are inheriently patriacharl despite championining a notion otherwise. There are examples protected by our secular laws that are naturally bias to women, for example, and so by definition of "equal rights" contradict our own principles. But the general characteristication of "patriachal" is devoured with memories of unequality from our history e.g. women not being allowed to vote. Well in Islam women were given that right to vote 1400 years ago, but because religion has gender roles we like to take shots at it.
Reply 15
Gremlins
Except when a Parliament made almost entirely of Muslims passes a law stopping women from one Muslim sect from being able to refuse to have sex (and banning them from leaving their home or getting a job without their husband's permission), ostensibly because they think it will be a vote winner in a largely Muslim country, then I think we *can* talk about marital rape in Islam.

Well, objectively speaking, where does religion stop and society end? You can't divorce the two that easily - if it's happening in a society where a majority of people are fairly devout Muslims, then it is IMO entirely fair to talk about Islam being misogynystic.

You've definitely got a point there. But I prefer to stay on the social side rather than go into religion, and I think it can be quite easy to seperate the two. Looking at the religion side of it, IMO, is too simplistic and too superficial a way to look at a society critically if one looks to discuss it with a view/hope of improving it.

Looking at it from a religion point of view, thus looking at it superficially, i find leads to nothing much of a real debate. The people i've heard who place too much of an emphasis on religion (remember i just think religions are just shells without much causal power as society dictates all) are simply interested in bashing. If that's a debate then so be it, i guess.
Reply 16
Gremlins

Whether or not this is motivated by sectarianism is open to debate but I know nothing about that country's politics so I don't know. But if you question on which basis of religion they are passing anything relating to women not refusing sex for her husband then you come to the conclusion I have above. It leaves you talking marital rape in their culture, because if you say marital rape in Islam then you'll have people looking at the religious scripts itself trying to find it and when they can't you look like an idiot.

If a woman refuses her husband any of her marital obligations then she is sinning and putting the validity of the marriage at risk, whether that be taking primary responsibility of the care of the children or refusing to have sex with him. There is no question of making it a "law", because that's implying you can force her to have sex with him. You can't. You love to bring Islam into the equation here yet conveniently ignore what Islam says about it. Regardless, the thread title is saying one thing here based on this "law" that their trying to pass, which I don't understand, and the scripture is saying another. Who are we going to believe now?

This is a good point why is why I was confused. I do not understand this law or it's context but on the suggestion of the thread title that, marital rape, there is nothing Islamic about that at all. Considering the ambiguity regarding this "law", how can we dismiss what the religious doctrine says for merely an assumption?

This is what I think is going on here. They are trying to copy and paste aspects of Islam into the DNA of their justice system to introduce a form of Shariah. The reference to the wife and her refusal sex, under Shariah, technically comes when the judges are hearing a marital dispute. If a husband complains about his marriage and uses her refusal is one example of his complaint then the judges will use as to conclude the wife is not interested or happy with the marriage. It's not a penal law where you can enforce it upon someone, there is no punishment for it, it's a marital obligation - just like how it is for the husband to satisfy her sexually. The refusal of any marital obligation can be used to judge that the marriage is failing. Therefore by definition it is not a "law", because laws are enforced and thus would imply this too be enforced to, but in reality an obligation. Where this use of the term "law" came from, the article editor or the Afghans themselves, I don't know but it's clearly not on.
Reply 17
Meus
The question of inequality in Islam is a two sided blade and I'll explain what I mean by that. There is firstly the question of the religion itself; all three of the Abrahamic faiths adopt a patriarchal-like system in their society in regards to men and women where by husbands are given more responsibilities (burdens from a religious point of view) and hence a longer list of authorities when in comparison to women. In short, there is no 'equality' in the sense of equal or identical roles pertained to both genders but instead differing roles which are equally valued within the religion. Despite the latter, it is not enough to satisfy some of the criticism. This is because anything that does not mean our social norms of 'rights', we automatically consider to be lesser than those rights.

Just the thought of the concept of an egalitarian society is little unrealistic in that respect as true equality is not achievable. I think what people talk about when they seek equality is perceived equality and claim that as truly egalitarian without fully knowing what that means.

In reality of course we accept this and it's in no way a problem within ours. I've done a lot of social work in the past and the reality on the ground in the UK is truly great, with choices, views, acceptance and things like good manners even, compared to the fire one sees when we discuss gender issues within a forum.

Meus

The other side doesn't relate to religion itself but cultural practices. Many will use the Taliban as to measure women's rights in Islam but this would be a dishonest attempt. Some would even use honour killings, because it is done by Muslims, as an another show of the treatment of women - completing ignoring the fact that Islam's religious teachings to be quite explicit against such a thing, or that Hindu's, Sikhs, and others do the same thing. It's a mess in which people cannot distinguish between what religion actually prescribes and what those who claim to follow those prescriptions actually do, the contradiction in their actions is neither apparent to them or the critics.

You do get critics of religion from the above issues but I really think that the majority of people can distinguish things and realise where the problem really lies.

Meus

True. We're blind to it but we are inheriently patriacharl despite championining a notion otherwise. There are examples protected by our secular laws that are naturally bias to women, for example, and so by definition of "equal rights" contradict our own principles. But the general characteristication of "patriachal" is devoured with memories of unequality from our history e.g. women not being allowed to vote. Well in Islam women were given that right to vote 1400 years ago, but because religion has gender roles we like to take shots at it.

:smile:

Is it true that in your religion a wife has equal claim to her husband's earnings whereas the wife's earnings are individual assets of her own unless she chooses otherwise? Just that a girl friend of mine keeps boasting about it to her boyfriend and me.

But i guess it shows an example of what you mentioned above about a man's responsibilities. That's why i have my view of religion having little causal effect (certainly overestimated) in reality and why i disregard it so.

Shocking that, in this day and age! :biggrin:
Reefer

Is it true that in your religion a wife has equal claim to her husband's earnings

No

Reefer

whereas the wife's earnings are individual assets of her own unless she chooses otherwise?

Yes

Reefer

Just that a girl friend of mine keeps boasting about it to her boyfriend and me.

Hypocritical that she would boast about Islam to her boyfriend, when infact she is not permitted a boyfriend in Islam.
Reply 19
Reefer
You do get critics of religion from the above issues but I really think that the majority of people can distinguish things and realise where the problem really lies.

Not neccessarily, at least in my experience. Note above my dialogue with Gremlins who dismissed my clarification as my "ideal version of Islam" as if to suggest I wasn't speaking about Islam in the first place. Some people adopt such strong feelings of opinion about religion that segments of it that contradict or negate their perspective are met with dismissals or irrelevance. It isn't just a case of facts for them.

Is it true that in your religion a wife has equal claim to her husband's earnings whereas the wife's earnings are individual assets of her own unless she chooses otherwise? Just that a girl friend of mine keeps boasting about it to her boyfriend and me.

No matter how rich the wife might be, she is not obliged to act as a co-provider for the family unless she herself voluntarily chooses to do so. The husband, however, is the primary and sometimes the sole provider financially to his family. The wife's finances remain her own and can do whatever she pleases with it. Having said that however that example follows the idea that the wife stays at home whilst the husband goes to work. Realistically in modern societies both work and invest towards the household, although she reserves the right not to work or spend her money.

But i guess it shows an example of what you mentioned above about a man's responsibilities. That's why i have my view of religion having little causal effect (certainly overestimated) in reality and why i disregard it so.

Do you mean in terms of gender roles in society? If so then I think it's an interesting point of debate. Many of these gender roles laid out by religion are under the assumption that the husband is the main provider and arguably men have been ever since the beginning of time. The change away from industry based on physical labour to work dependant on intellect and intelligence, as opposed to solely physical strength, is quite a new change actually. Nevertheless this change has given women the opportunities to work themselves or find lifestyles unrelated to household matters. But it wasn't always like this, society and culture itself adopted patriarchy naturally. Religion, arguably, just institutionalised it and expanded on it.

Latest

Trending

Trending