The Student Room Group

STEP I, II, III 2002 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brubeckian
For Q4 in III, I know there is an algebraic method to show what they want but is it cool if I say let x = a, and y=b.

Then I'd draw the cubics y=a3+a2y=a^3+a^2 and y=b3b2y=b^3-b^2 and show that for every corresponding value on the curves, the x value on the a curve is always less than the x value on the b curve?

Edit: I can show the second part really easily from the curves as well.
I don't think anyone can tell you for sure; what I can say is that since the algebraic method will definitely get you the full marks here and takes very little time, I would definitely use it myself (rather than graphs).
Original post by toasted-lion
Question 5, I'll pick up where Dadeymi left off:

(b1)(ab2+(a1)b+(a1))=0 (b-1)\left(ab^2 + (a-1)b +(a-1)\right)=0

Now, a1a    k11a    b1 a_1 \not= a \implies k \not= \frac{1}{1-a} \implies b \not= 1

So (ab2+(a1)b+(a1))=0 \left(ab^2 + (a-1)b +(a-1)\right)=0

    (b+a12a)2=1aaa22a+14a2=5a2+6a14a2 \implies \left( b + \frac{a-1}{2a} \right)^2 = \frac{1-a}{a} - \frac{a^2 - 2a +1}{4a^2} = \frac{-5a^2 + 6a - 1}{4a^2}

    b=1a2a±5a2+6a12a \implies b = \frac{1-a}{2a} \pm \frac{\sqrt{-5a^2 +6a - 1}}{2a}

    k=12a±5a2+6a12a(1a) \implies k = \frac{1}{2a} \pm \frac{\sqrt{-5a^2 +6a - 1}}{2a(1-a)}

You have a sign error.
Original post by physicsmaths
You have a sign error.
Probably not terribly useful quoting someone who last posted to TSR in 2011...
Original post by DFranklin
Probably not terribly useful quoting someone who last posted to TSR in 2011...

True. Is there a way all the solutions with mistakes can be edited? There are quite a few.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by welshenglish
Solution to 2002 STEP II Q6
Draw a decent diagram so you can see the lines and angles clearly.
Let l1 be the lengths of lines l1 from a horizontal plane to the point of intersection. Let vertical height of point of intersection above the plane be h. Then: -
l3 sin = h
l3
Therefore
l1
cos sin = 1/2
l3
sin sin = 1/

/4, and /6 with 2, /3 and
l3 sin /3 = h
l3

tan = 2 cos
l1 sin /3
(tan ) ^ 2 + 3 (cos ) ^ 2 = 4
(tan ) ^ 4 - 3 (tan ) ^ 2 - 1= 0
(tan ) ^ 2 = (3 + )/2
(3 - )/2 is not a solution as (tan ) ^ 2

Can anyone please repost this? I'm unable to view this clearly on my computer. Thank you!!
Original post by sonofdot
STEP I 2002 Question 7

I=0acosxsinx+cosxdx\displaystyle I = \int_0^a \frac{\cos x}{\sin x + \cos x} \, dx and J=0asinxsinx+cosxdx\displaystyle J = \int_0^a \frac{\sin x}{\sin x + \cos x} \, dx with 0a<3π40 \leq a < \frac{3\pi}{4}

(Note that in the interval 0x<3π40 \leq x < \frac{3\pi}{4}, sinx+cosx0\sin x + \cos x \not= 0)

Unparseable latex formula:

\begin{array}{rl}[br]I+J & \displaystyle = \int_0^a \frac{\sin x + \cos x}{\sin x + \cos x} \, dx \\ \br \\[br]& \displaystyle = \int_0^a 1 \, dx \\ \br \\[br]& \displaystyle = \left[ x \right]_0^a = a \end{array}

\begin{array}{rl}[br]I-J & \displaystyle = \int_0^a \frac{\cos x - \sin x}{\sin x + \cos x} \, dx \\ \br \\[br]& \displaystyle = \left[ \ln (\sin x + \cos x) \right]_0^a \\ \br \\[br]& \displaystyle = \ln (\sin a + \cos a)\end{array}

(I+J)+(IJ)=a+ln(sina+cosa)2I=a+ln(sina+cosa)\displaystyle (I+J)+(I-J) = a + \ln (\sin a + \cos a) \Rightarrow \boxed{2I = a + \ln (\sin a + \cos a)}

(i)

(ii)

In part 2, what is the need to multiply I by p squared and q squared? Would multiplying just by p and q be fine? This yields

qI+pJ=π/2qI+pJ=\pi/2

and

qIpJ=ln(p/q)qI-pJ=ln(p/q)

giving

I=π+2ln(pq))4qI=\frac{\pi+2ln(\frac{p}{q}))}{4q}
Original post by Dadeyemi
Question 10, STEP I, 2002

Using NLR with elasyic collisions, speed of seperation = speed of approach so collision with the end of the cylinder dont change the speed. This gives vnu=vn1+uvn=vn1+2uv_n - u = v_{n-1} + u \Leftrightarrow v_n = v_{n-1} +2u, which is an arithmetic progression with initial value v and common difference 2u so vn=v+2unv_n = v +2un as required.

The diference in the distances from the piston and end of cylinder is the distance the piston moves in that time so dndn+1=utn d_n-d_{n+1} = ut_n

tnt_n is the time take to reach the end of the cylinder + the time taken to reach the piston afterwards.
Giving tn=dnvn+dn+1vn=dn+dn+1vn t_n = \dfrac{d_n}{v_n}+\dfrac{d_{n+1}}{v_n} = \dfrac{d_n +d_{n+1}}{v_n}

Using our previous result
dndn+1=utn=udn+dn+1vn d_n-d_{n+1} = ut_n = u\dfrac{d_n +d_{n+1}}{v_n}
(v+2un)(dndn+1)=u(dn+dn+1)\Leftrightarrow (v+2un)(d_n-d_{n+1}) = u(d_n +d_{n+1})
(v+u(2n+1))dn+1=(v+u(2n1))dn\Leftrightarrow (v+u(2n+1))d_{n+1} = (v+u(2n-1))d_n
dn+1=v+u(2n1)v+u(2n+1)dn\Leftrightarrow d_{n+1} = \dfrac{v+u(2n-1)}{v+u(2n+1)}d_n
Which was to be shown.

dn=v+u(2n3)v+u(2n1)dn1=v+u(2n3)v+u(2n1)×v+u(2n5)v+u(2n3)××v+uv+3ud1d_n= \dfrac{v+u(2n-3)}{v+u(2n-1)}d_{n-1} =\dfrac{v+u(2n-3)}{v+u(2n-1)} \times \dfrac{v+u(2n-5)}{v+u(2n-3)} \times \cdots \times \dfrac{v+u}{v+3u} d_1
dn=v+uv+u(2n1)d1\Rightarrow d_n = \dfrac{v+u}{v+u(2n-1)}d_1

I the case u=v u = v we have dn=d1n d_n = \dfrac{d_1}{n}

Giving utn=dndn+1=d1nd1n+1=d1n(n+1) ut_n = d_n - d_{n+1} = \dfrac{d_1}{n}-\dfrac{d_1}{n+1} = \dfrac{d_1}{n(n+1)}

I struggled to start this question as the concept of 'elastic collisions' in this sense seems counter-intuitive to me. The definition that I am familiar with is that the total kinetic energy of the system remains constant, and hence if the speed of the piston remains constant ( u m/s) then I feel as though the speed of the particle should stay the same rather than increasing by 2u each time. Obviously I can see that the result follows from the fact that the COR=1, however the result then seems to conflict with the idea that the KE of the system remains constant (if the speed of the particle is increasing). Could any kind soul help me to understand this? thanks
Original post by otrizzle
Obviously I can see that the result follows from the fact that the COR=1, however the result then seems to conflict with the idea that the KE of the system remains constant (if the speed of the particle is increasing). Could any kind soul help me to understand this? thanks
The person pushing the piston is supplying the extra energy - if they were not, the piston would lose speed after each collision.
Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care
STEP III, Question 1

\left(\frac{-1}{a}\left((ln(a))^2 + 2ln(a) - 2\left) - 2)\left

As a tends to infinty the volume tends to 2π 2\pi

This as a final answer is wrong, and desmos agrees: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/fwrdivtgio

It should be V=2ππa(ln(a)2+2ln(a)+2)V = 2\pi - \frac{\pi}{a}\left( \ln(a)^2 + 2 \ln(a) + 2 \right); the first instance of '2-2' is wrong in the above solution.

EDIT: Never mind, SimonM's solution is fine. It's just these two are so close it's easy to mistake them :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care
STEP III, Question 1

a)

Spoiler

b)

Spoiler

Your part b) answer is wrong you messed up the signs
Reply 210
Original post by qgujxj39
STEP II 2002 Q10

Spoiler

The maximum distance is 81/40 km.
Original post by Glutamic Acid
II/7: (Scary scary vectors.)

??????????

For the last part, λ=2/3, which is not allowed.
Original post by Always blank
For the last part, λ=2/3, which is not allowed.

Glutamic hasn't posted for 4 years, so I suspect he's not going to respond to this. I do try to respond to STEP queries, but I haven't done this question, so I'm somewhat shooting from the hip here.

Looking at the question and his solution I'm not sure what you're trying to say with your comment. How did you deduce lambda = 2/3 ? (or did you not mean that)?
Reply 213
Original post by qgujxj39
STEP II 2002 Q10

Spoiler

Hi I think the answer should be 81/40, thanks
You are wrong on the end of q2 you had root 5 instead of root25 and you also had -3 instead of 3 and divided by 2 instead of 4. So your solutions for W should be 1,-1,-1/2 and 2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending