Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

STEP I, II, III 2002 Solutions

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Wonder why Simon didn't include it in the solved list in the OP, particularly as it's on the first page. Wish I'd seen it earlier, thanks.
    I'm being particularly lazy today, could you link me please?
    • 35 followers

(Original post by SimonM)
    I'm being particularly lazy today, could you link me please?
    If I knew how. The format for the links in your OP doesn't match what displays as a URL, so, no can do; sorry.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've added the link to the index post.
    • 35 followers

Using NLR and a couple of momentum equations as detailed below:

Perpendicular to line of "centres":

u\sin\phi=v_1\sin(\theta+\phi)

Parallel to line of centres:

u\cos\phi=v_1\cos(\theta+\phi)+k  v_2

NLR:

v_2-v_1\cos(\theta+\phi) = u \cos\phi

and after some nasty algebra (hence I'm not inclined to put the latex in at the moment), I end up with:

\sin\theta=k\sin (\theta+2\phi)

Which, whilst reasonably elegant, bears little resemblence to the desired equation.

However, it does still satisfy the requirement that k = 1, when the two paths are perpendicular, which give me some small faith in it.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbounded)
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Thanks
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    \sin\theta=k\sin (\theta+2\phi)
    This line appears in Unbounded's solution, so it does end up in the right place eventually.
    • 35 followers

The page for a single post can be found by clicking on the post number at the top of the post.
    Thanks; SimonM has introduced an entire new level of laziness, a quantum leap in inactivity - an oxymoron, if ever there was one.
    • 35 followers

This line appears in Unbounded's solution, so it does end up in the right place eventually.
    Ta, Perhaps I ought to actually read it then. Lol.

Edit: Not too far from the end either. My faith in mechanics is restored and all is right with the world once more. Deep sigh!

Nasty bit of STEPish level work at the end, IMHO. Interestingly, I didn't use the conservation of KE directly in this second one (although implicit in using e=1).

I have to say, of the three solutions, as an impartial observer (not), I prefer my first one.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    What was the difference between yours and Unbounded? As described it looked similar, but from what you're saying, his turned out a bit nastier.
    • 35 followers

What was the difference between yours and Unbounded? As described it looked similar, but from what you're saying, his turned out a bit nastier.
    You disagree then?

Well it avoided the (\theta+2\phi), avoided the product-sum, seemed, to me, a hell of an lot simpler with the trig manipulations, and really reduced the problem to more standard A-level, rather than STEP, IMHO.

P.S. I did say I was impartial (not)!
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't disagreeing, just trying to ascertain where the big "don't do this, do that" point of decision was. It wasn't obvious to me on a cursory glance why your algebra was so much nicer - largely because I wasn't sure what was involved in your "sub (4) into (3) and fiddle" comment. Looking a bit more carefully, I see that there is very little fiddling required, but I didn't notice that at the time.
    • 35 followers

:cool: Yep, "fiddle" with me is a small thing (though someone else may use the term compeletely differently), as opposed to the "after some nasty algebra" in my second solution which involved 8 terms each comprising a combination of three, sines and cosines; yuck!

I guess the main difference was that I didn't square the "momentum in the direction of the initial velocity" equation early on; and later didn't need to.

After stating the initial equations, putting v2 in terms of v1 seemed a natural first step, which would almost certainly come in handy later.

Then "putting (4) into (3) and fiddle" so u is just in terms of v1 produced something akin to the one side of the desired equation (fortuitously perhaps), and the next step was obvious.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    STEP I, Question 4

\displaystyle y' = - \frac{2x}{(1+x^2)^2}

Therefore the equation of the tangent is \displaystyle y = - \frac{2a}{(1+a^2)^2} x + \frac{1}{1+a^2} +\frac{2a^2}{(1+a^2)^2}
    Where did that part on the end (not the coefficient of x, everything else) come from?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziedj)
    Where did that part on the end (not the coefficient of x, everything else) come from?
    Suppose it is tangent at x=a. Then this tangent has equation  y = -\dfrac{2a}{(1+a^2)^2} x + c.

But it passes through  \left( a, \frac{1}{1+a^2} \right) , and so c equals...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Suppose it is tangent at x=a. Then this tangent has equation  y = -\dfrac{2a}{(1+a^2)^2} x + c.

But it passes through  \left( a, \frac{1}{1+a^2} \right) , and so c equals...
    Oh.. isn't that unnecessarily complicated when you have already found via sketching that the curve passes through (0,1), so c = 1? Is there a particular reason?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziedj)
    For what it's worth I set it out a slightly different way
    Tangent is at x=a (>0) and passes through (0,1)
     y - 1 = \dfrac{-2a}{(1+a^2)^2}x

and  \dfrac{y-1}{x} = \dfrac{\dfrac{1}{1+a^2} - 1}{a} = \dfrac{-a}{1+a^2}

So we must have

\dfrac{-2a}{(1+a^2)^2} = \dfrac{-a}{1+a^2}

Which quickly cancels down to give  a^2 = 1
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My solution to question 14 STEP II
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pdf STEP II.pdf (42.7 KB, 35 views)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Completing Dadeyemi's work on STEP III Q2, last part
    Attached Files
  2. File Type: pdf STEP III Q2.pdf (32.5 KB, 69 views)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    STEP III, Question 1

Spoiler:
    Show

As  a \to \infty, the volume tends to 2\pi
    Sorry could you explain how you get to 2 divided by pi? I got the -(ln^2 (a) +2 ln(a) +2)/a but could not justify whether that expression would tend to 0 or 1, im thinking now probably 0 as if you sub in x = e^2 then e^5 that gets progressively smaller and smaller, so did you mean 2pi?

Also a little suggestion maybe it would have been easier to use the substitution u = ln x.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Granziol)
    Sorry could you explain how you get to 2 divided by pi? I got the -(ln^2 (a) +2 ln(a) +2)/a but could not justify whether that expression would tend to 0 or 1, im thinking now probably 0 as if you sub in x = e^2 then e^5 that gets progressively smaller and smaller, so did you mean 2pi?

Also a little suggestion maybe it would have been easier to use the substitution u = ln x.
    It's 2 pi, in latex that is 2\pi. Perhaps I forgot the tags?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 6, 2014
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.