Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spotify Discussion and Playlists

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: What are you going to do?
    Pay for Spotify premium every month.
    20.68%
    Keep using Spotify as a free user and put up with the music limits.
    31.22%
    Quit Spotify and use another free streaming service (please state which in the thread)
    13.92%
    Just download music - Legally
    3.80%
    Just download music - Illegally
    30.38%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edward_wells90)
    I think the main issue is that with that £5/month is that it ends up being quite a bit, look at in in a long term perspective say 2 years. It's £120 for 2years worth of service and say in the 25th month you decide to quit - you just spend £120 and didn't get anything tangible from the service, not even a single legitimate mp3 file.
    ...and that's why a Spotify subscription is cheaper than buying music for ownership.

Spotify provided a valid alternative to piracy, and all people are saying is "But I want it all for free!!"?! It's ridiculous. If you're listening for free then that's ethically the same as piracy - You're not providing any revenue for the service or music industry, and an ad once in a while isn't going to pay the bills. The change to 5 listens only makes complete sense, it allows people to listen enough to a song to decide if they like it or not, and then they can go out and buy it if they want to listen some more. That's beneficial to the customer and music industry by allowing a free test run, but not to Spotify since they won't see any money from their free promotions.

To be completely honest, the only argument I can think of against Spotify is that barely any money is going to go towards the artists at only £4.99 or £9.99 a month, but that's the complete opposite argument to making Spotify free.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that many people treat(ed) Spotify as iTunes/WMP/Winamp/*insert other media player here* version 2. It was never meant to be something which you use as your sole media player.

I don't use Spotify but I've always described it like this. When you go into HMV for example they have stands where you scan the barcode and you put the headphones on and away you go, you can listen to whatever you want pretty much. It's like Spotify in that it provides you with a step up. If you've liked what you've heard at the stand in HMV, the vast majority of the time you'll go up the counter and pay. Spotify again is built for people to say: Well after listening to this album a few times I think I may purchase it myself. I think many people looked past that and saw the fact it was a way of listening to music free when really, it was never intended to be something like that, merely a step up for music listeners to test the water before they buy.

A complicated analogy there which I've made a bit of a mountain out of but it's getting late so I hope you'll all forgive me!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what is wrong with you people?

You simply can't expect to have music for free forever.

Most people would snap at the opportunity to have unlimited music for a month for £5. I'd rather have that than 5 itunes tracks

idiots.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Grooveshark gave me a virus last time I used it, maybe they had a hacker on there or something but it seems to be back to normal now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It annoyed me when Spotify Open reduced play time from unlimited (with adverts) to 20(?) hours a month. If they reduce it anymore, I will NOT be amused. I thought the whole point in the adverts was to keep the music free for an unlimited amount of time?

SPOTIFY, SMD. Ta.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going to use Freecorder to rip songs from Spotify
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alert123)
    what is wrong with you people?

You simply can't expect to have music for free forever.

Most people would snap at the opportunity to have unlimited music for a month for £5. I'd rather have that than 5 itunes tracks

idiots.
    Well, it's free on the radio and Youtube, so I don't think people are being that unreasonable... I will still pay for music, but if something advertises itself as a free service it should stay as one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    seriously its a fiver a month - the interface is much nicer than grooveshark and it has much more music in my experience.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of the fact that Spotify was never intended to be a media player, and more of a try before you buy service, all this change will do is push people (like me) to piracy.

I have no qualms about pirating, and no issues with doing so. Spotify prevented me from pirating all my music as it was all there in a free, legal format. Now they've taken it away, they've shot themselves in the foot as people like me will simple pirate. While they may convince some people to buy a premium account, they've pushed many people back into piracy. Stupid sense from them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    I'm not impressed. People try and justify this by saying "Oh, it's the cost of a CD a month, it's nothing" but they forget that you don't actually own the music on Spotify, you're merely renting it for as long as you choose to pay the service fee. For £120 a year, I could legally download 150 songs. I don't think I do listen to 150 new songs a year, so I'd end up paying less money and being able to take my music everywhere with me. Not everyone has or wants a smartphone, so for a lot of people Spotify Premium isn't particularly good value.

Tbh, I'd rather they scrap the Free accounts entirely than insult people by offering such a crap service and acting like we should be grateful. 10 hours a month? Spotify is usually on in the background every time I have my computer on, I could probably use 10 hours in less than 2 days. And who only listens to a song 5 times in their life? Most people I know will just stop using spotify altogether rather than bother with such limitations, so if Spotify hoped to blackmail people into paying for Premium, they've made a mistake.

And people who claim 'you can't have music for free' are idiots. What do you think the radio is? Or youtube videos?
    If you don't have a smartphone then you can pay £4.99 instead of the £9.99 a month and still get the majority of premium services. And you listen to less than 150 songs per year? Really? That's hardly the point of it - it gives you limitless playback and offline playlists of as many songs as you can think of.

Spotify is a business, like any other - they never claimed their free accounts would last forever, and if you were the owners - you'd be doing exactly the same. You can't expect to have access to completely free, no-hassle music forever and then complain when the service changes. And yes, YouTube and the Radio provide 'free' music with many more adverts, no selections, playlists, related artists etc - if you think they are so much better then I take it you'll be using them instead...?

30p a day (or half that if you don't want it on your mobile) seems like a stupidly cheap price for unlimited music plays of such a huge library.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Most people already had their favourite songs in hard copy before spotify came along, so really all people are doing is using for either music that came out since Spotify was launched, or older music that they've never liked enough to buy.
    I'd like to know where this fact came from...

(Original post by Lizia)
    Pretty much everyone I know uses it just for music they already own, or music they don't want to pay for.
    :confused: Of course they do... that's what it's for...
    Yes, 'discovering new music' is another perk - but I wouldn't say that's what 'everyone' says they use it for. I use it for a mixture of old and new music; classic songs that have never thought to buy as well as brand new stuff. I find the format of the programme is much better than any other, and having one button that brings up a load of related artists has lead me to find tonnes of new stuff that I can listen to without paying more money.

(Original post by Lizia)
    It's pretty obvious that when one free service with a lot of adverts goes away (and the number of ads has definitely been creeping up on spotify lately), people will just switch to another service with a lot of adverts.
    Is it? If that's the case then clearly you have never wanted to pay for your own music and even though you say that buying less than 150 songs each year to own forever is a better deal - I bet you don't actually do that right?

I think it's more obvious that people will realise that paying for Spotify becomes more justified for the unlimited playback. And of course the ad count will be going up, Spotify has to make money to pay artists for their music.

If it was 100% free all the time, then they would make no money, artists would make no money, and the music library would cease to exist. As annoying as it is, I doubt musicians particularly want their music to be listened to without being paid somehow.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    you can't guarantee that Spotify won't go bust six months down the line and leave you having paid £60 and having nothing for it.
    if they went bust in 6 months, and I'd have paid £30 for the services so far, I wouldn't class that as having got nothing out of it. If you bought a new radio, you have paid for the pleasure of listening to music. If all radio stations stopped airing, you wouldn't then ask for a refund on the radio.

(Original post by Lizia)
    I've always paid for my own music, but if someone offers it to me for free, why wouldn't I take it?
    Of course you would - but then to complain when that someone tries to improve their service by charging a small amount for it...? Seems a little unreasonable. But that's just my view.

(Original post by Lizia)
    Unlimited playback can be had on iTunes or whatever for the same price (for most people, who tend to listen to a fairly small pool of songs often, and have the rest as back up)...
    Yes, you're right - but that way if you ever wanted to expand your collection, or find new music, you'd be paying again each time.

(Original post by Lizia)
    It's just a purely idiotic way of doing business. They tried to be sneaky and get people hooked with what seemed like a long term free music player (it was basically portrayed as that), then take the service away and charge them for it.
    In my opinion I think the way they did their business was pretty damn successful! They are one of (if not) the fastest growing music software available. There was nothing 'sneaky' about it. As I said before - they never claimed that it would be free forever, and users who weren't expecting some form of limit are a little naive I think.

(Original post by Lizia)
    ...unless you're selling something people can't survive without, which Spotify weren't.
    Paying for music is a luxury - of course you can listen to it on youtube, but realistically who is gonna do that? Spotify provides an easy platform for music listening and discovery, with access on a mobile and offline playlists at a pretty low cost (in my, and others, opinion). If you don't agree then that's completely fine - but don't insult the way they have done their business as if they have 'conned' you out of something.
    • 17 followers

(Original post by Seble)
    Has anyone else noticed the amount of ads they have been putting in since ads as well lately. When I first got spotify, it was 1 in between, well they slowly crept that up to 2 didn't they, now they think they can pull 4 off on me! It ruins the experience.
    Oh please, it's nothing. You are getting free music. A few ads inbetween is not worth a fuss, especially considering they make a loss. They need something in the way of a revenue so upping the ads slightly is hardly a crime. If you don't like it, pay for a sub.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely ridiculous that I no longer get as much free music as I want for absolutely no cost. I am outraged. Furious even. Prepare to get the angry e-mailing of your life, Jonathen from Spotify!!!! madmadmad
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stray_talk)
    Oh please, it's nothing. You are getting free music. A few ads inbetween is not worth a fuss, especially considering they make a loss. They need something in the way of a revenue so upping the ads slightly is hardly a crime. If you don't like it, pay for a sub.
    I don't like it, as I said, I don't care about the loss, I am simply talking about the experience for the user, incorporating that many ads one after another just makes me wanna wave spotify goodbye. It ruins the music experience
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seble)
    ...It ruins the music experience
    Of course they do - that's why there is an option to pay to have no advertising. If paying is not an option/unreasonable to you then 'wave goodbye' to Spotify if it bothers you that much. I guess you don't listen to the radio much...?
    • 17 followers

(Original post by Seble)
    I don't like it, as I said, I don't care about the loss, I am simply talking about the experience for the user, incorporating that many ads one after another just makes me wanna wave spotify goodbye. It ruins the music experience
    I am a user, too...

I think it's a fair deal that for free music you have to "endure" a few adverts here and there. Sure, it can be annoying if you'd like to listen to an album all the way through but generally I wouldn't say it ruins anything. They have to make money somehow to keep that "experience" going.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably just going to go to the £5 a month version, I was considering it anyway so this is 'motivation', so to speak. I'll actually miss some of the ads though, weirdly. I've discovered some great bands from them. The ones with Jonathan from Spotify and ones advertising crap like label makers I won't miss though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fretter778)
    I'm probably just going to go to the £5 a month version, I was considering it anyway so this is 'motivation', so to speak. I'll actually miss some of the ads though, weirdly. I've discovered some great bands from them. The ones with Jonathan from Spotify and ones advertising crap like label makers I won't miss though.
    I'm considering this now as well. Grooveshark is a bit too bloaty for my liking, and we7 is much like last.fm from what I can tell, which doesn't cut it, especially if I don't want a browser open.

£5 a month is nothing really; it's just the thought of £60 for a year that's a tad off-putting. Seems a lot, but then I guess before the piracy boost days, it was more than that to buy CDs for the year..
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    I'm considering this now as well. Grooveshark is a bit too bloaty for my liking, and we7 is much like last.fm from what I can tell, which doesn't cut it, especially if I don't want a browser open.

£5 a month is nothing really; it's just the thought of £60 for a year that's a tad off-putting. Seems a lot, but then I guess before the piracy boost days, it was more than that to buy CDs for the year..
    I was put off by that at first, but then I realise I can pay for that in 2 work shifts, and I've spent much more on things that are worth much less. I guess another reason for me paying is that last.fm is going subscription too so in just over 20 days I'll lose most of the features I use all the time on that. Out of the two, I much prefer Spotify and the cost per month is very similar.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: February 28, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.