Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spotify Discussion and Playlists

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
  • View Poll Results: What are you going to do?
    Pay for Spotify premium every month.
    20.68%
    Keep using Spotify as a free user and put up with the music limits.
    31.22%
    Quit Spotify and use another free streaming service (please state which in the thread)
    13.92%
    Just download music - Legally
    3.80%
    Just download music - Illegally
    30.38%

• 52 followers

(Original post by Nativeenglish)
    People keep telling me to get this, but I reckon I'm quite happy with good old itunes :p:
    I thought that. I loved iTunes. Now look at me! :awesome:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just downloaded. Hate iTunes so will see if it is able to pull me away from the ol' reliable WMP.
    • 52 followers

(Original post by BillyMarsh)
    Just downloaded. Hate iTunes so will see if it is able to pull me away from the ol' reliable WMP.
    Oh it will :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    Oh it will :p:
    It seems okay, but can I actually download songs or do I have to stream them all the time?

I can see the advantage in music not sucking up a great deal of storage but otherwise I like to have my songs saved to my drive
    • 17 followers

I thought that. I loved iTunes. Now look at me! :awesome:
    We're twins.

Well regarding your post at least :tongue:
    • 17 followers

(Original post by BillyMarsh)
    It seems okay, but can I actually download songs or do I have to stream them all the time?

I can see the advantage in music not sucking up a great deal of storage but otherwise I like to have my songs saved to my drive
    It's just streaming I'm afraid. Though I love it :teeth:
    • 52 followers

(Original post by Stray_talk)
    We're twins.

Well regarding your post at least :tongue:
    And the fact both Coldplay and Muse are awesome! :awesome:

And BillyMarsh, yes, you can only stream them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    spotify is my new found lover
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just downloaded Spotify and I'm blown away. Its truely amazing!

I keep opening iTunes though, I guess I've got a lot of music on there that I want to listen to and its just as easy really. I've been collecting music on my iTunes since 2001 though so I guess I've got a fair amount.

I just wish there was a way to download the music from Spotify! I listen to my iPod a lot so it may become a problem.

Could I just ask how it is legal? Is it just a sort of 'legal to listen to music but not to download it' type thing?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    Could I just ask how it is legal? Is it just a sort of 'legal to listen to music but not to download it' type thing?
    Pretty much. The ads (and anyone who pays for an accounts to not hear the ads) are what pays the record labels/artists for their music to be streamed. Although, as you'll probably find, there are still some artists that won't allow their music to be listened to by any other means than a paid for CD :rolleyes:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Pretty much. The ads (and anyone who pays for an accounts to not hear the ads) are what pays the record labels/artists for their music to be streamed. Although, as you'll probably find, there are still some artists that won't allow their music to be listened to by any other means than a paid for CD :rolleyes:
    Meh. Everything I've searched for so far has shown up.

The only thing this program is lacking is a better 'new music' or 'whats hot' page. I like browsing through and having a look at what people are downloading to see if theres anything that catches my eye. Their homepage is a bit lacking in this.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Meh. Everything I've searched for so far has shown up.

The only thing this program is lacking is a better 'new music' or 'whats hot' page. I like browsing through and having a look at what people are downloading to see if theres anything that catches my eye. Their homepage is a bit lacking in this.
    It is still in beta, so there is room for a lot more improvements yet. But there are still a few bugs and performance issues which I'm sure is top of their priorities. It has a lot of potential, and no doubt will improve on things like this over time.
    But I'm still happy to use it as my main source for listening to music at home, saves me having to copy all my music over on to my new laptop.
    • 52 followers

I've just downloaded Spotify and I'm blown away. Its truely amazing!

I keep opening iTunes though, I guess I've got a lot of music on there that I want to listen to and its just as easy really. I've been collecting music on my iTunes since 2001 though so I guess I've got a fair amount.

I just wish there was a way to download the music from Spotify! I listen to my iPod a lot so it may become a problem.

Well, you can download it (with paying, obviously). Right click a song, and select buy from, on some songs, you can 'Buy from iTunes' :top:
    Though of course, you might as well go into the iTunes store and do this :p:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, you can download it (with paying, obviously). Right click a song, and select buy from, on some songs, you can 'Buy from iTunes' :top:
    Though of course, you might as well go into the iTunes store and do this :p:
    I should have said 'I wish there was a way to download from Spotify for free'
    • 52 followers

I should have said 'I wish there was a way to download from Spotify for free'
    :rolleyes:
    Tut tut :p:

Spoiler:
    Show
    :ninja: That'd be so awesome if you could :awesome:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What makes this different to last.fm?
    • 17 followers

(Original post by ACDC)
    What makes this different to last.fm?
    You don't have to pay for a sub to listen to the entire song they make their money with adverts every 10 songs or so. You can subscribe so that you don't get the ads but to be honest I barely notice them - ususally only last 30 seconds or so.
    • 6 followers

the adverts are alright to be honest, there isn't much in them and they aren't annoying adverts either:smile:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    the adverts are alright to be honest, there isn't much in them and they aren't annoying adverts either:smile:
    They annoy the hell out of me :p: Maybe it's because i revise when using Spotify usually and to break out of Jazz into that Safe Sex advert or some bunch of idiots (like that Madina Lake crap) and idiotic bands like that who don't deserve any form of promotion, is very annoying!
    • 6 followers

(Original post by benmh92)
    They annoy the hell out of me :p: Maybe it's because i revise when using Spotify usually and to break out of Jazz into that Safe Sex advert or some bunch of idiots (like that Madina Lake crap) and idiotic bands like that who don't deserve any form of promotion, is very annoying!
    haha I get the Safe sex advert a lot:woo: Most of the time I just get up and grab something to eat/drink when the adverts come on so I don't really notice them

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 28, 2013
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.