The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
what would really piss me off is if she doesn't actually achieve the As when it comes to A2 as she has in a way, used predictions to get herself into uni but that's another thing. If she does get the As then fair enough but if she doesn't :mad:

she rejected them because her jan grades were just as bad as her june last year lol
Reply 21
oscarwildelike
How much do GCSE results effect one getting into a good university for say law.

After reading somewhere on here that one can't get into Nottingham unless they have 7a* @ GCSEs (for economics but even so) is impossible to get into a top 20 university without those sort of gcse grades.

so for example someone like me, already got 3a's at gcse, predicted 5a*, 1a and 2b this year (state school educated, neither parent graduated from university), will it be very difficult for me to get into somewhere like southampton.

assuming I'm predicted 3a's for a-level and get a set of top as levels btw.

i didnt get any A*s at gcse and i have an offer from Birmingham...
Reply 22
I only got 1A* and got accepted by quality Unis such as Lancaster, Exeter and York.

I think Durham and Bristol are the most picky with GCSE results..
You've got a really good set of results, especially from a state shcool - I think, coming from a state school, you could probably apply to oxbridge with those results (although it does of course depend on the subject you're going for - some are more competitive than others :biggrin:)
Reply 24
oscarwildelike
How much do GCSE results effect one getting into a good university for say law.

After reading somewhere on here that one can't get into Nottingham unless they have 7a* @ GCSEs (for economics but even so) is impossible to get into a top 20 university without those sort of gcse grades.

so for example someone like me, already got 3a's at gcse, predicted 5a*, 1a and 2b this year (state school educated, neither parent graduated from university), will it be very difficult for me to get into somewhere like southampton.

assuming I'm predicted 3a's for a-level and get a set of top as levels btw.

River85
7 A*s for economics at Nottingham? First time I've heard that. For economics at LSE, yes, but Nottingham (which is still one of the top economics departments but not quite as strong and competitive as LSE, Warwick etc) then no. Anyway, I really wouldn't take much notice of this "GCSE Nazi" and "seven A*" talk. Whether it's LSE, Durham, Nottingham or even Oxbridge. It's just ludicrous. Universities are entitled to use GCSE grades and some may use them as a filter, particularly for exceptionally popular courses. But it's unlikely they'll look for a set number each year and instantly reject anyone who does have this arbitary number of A*s. It's quite common to find a student (with only a handful of A*s, if any at all) who has more motivation and stronger A-level performance that another student with stronger GCSE grades. To suggest that this student will get an instant rejection, just because they've fallen short by a couple of grades in GCSE subjects that probably have no real relevance to the degree subject they're applying for, is just stupid. Even for these "GCSE Nazi" unis there'll always be exceptions.

Should you meet your predictions then 5A*s, 4 As and 2Bs that's an excellent set of results in anyone's book.

With AAA predicted (ideally is traditional subjects), a very strong PS and a great set of GCSE results (which yours hopefully will be) then Southampton is certainly a realistic choice. So too are the very strongest law schools (LSE, Durham, UCL, Bristol, KCL etc.) even Oxford and Cambridge. Although, of course, for those you'd also need to take the LNAT (the two exceptions being Cambridge and LSE, I think). A strong performance on the LNAT will certainly compensate for a lack of a couple of A*s.

Don't be put off applying to a few places ust because you think you GCSEs aren't up to scratch. Try and be ambitious but also realistic, spread out the choices. But remember that those GCSE results are still excellent.

This is the reference for Notts at Econ:
7) Nottingham AAA/AABB M**p E**p 453 40% Student excess in 2008 So look for 7 or 8 GCSE A*s. Summary stats

So some rejected econ applicants at Notts are being told by Admissions the reason is that they don't have enough GCSE A*s. But:
i) Econ is incredibly competitive.
ii) Even with econ outside the top 11 pretty much all applicants get offers.
iii) Even for econ at Notts GCSEs are not the only factor. e.g. some high GCSE applicants are not getting offers. and some with low GCSE A* counts are getting offers.

So don't panic!
Reply 25
For economics, LSE, Durham, Nottingham and Bristol are the GCSE bumhuggers.

For Oxford, it does not matter what you get in GCSE, but it is what you get at AS level and predicted for A2. I'll provide the link if you need it.
I got absolutely nowhere near 7A*s (not even 1) yet received offers from three top 10 unis for my subject (UCL, St Andrews and Exeter for History).
JayAyy
For Oxford, it does not matter what you get in GCSE, but it is what you get at AS level and predicted for A2. I'll provide the link if you need it.

Dependent on subject my friend. Law only interview around half of their candidates and, okay, there is the LNAT. But it'd definititely require a very good performance in that to be considered. For Medicine, with 0-2A*s you'd need to finish in around the top 3-5% of BMAT scores. And for my subject - History - I even fulfilled the minimum HAT score (after working out what they said in the feedback in concurrence with other statistics that are easily accessible), yet was rejected without interview (probably on the basis of GCSEs). :sad:
Reply 28
necessarily benevolent
Dependent on subject my friend. Law only interview around half of their candidates and, okay, there is the LNAT. But it'd definititely require a very good performance in that to be considered. For Medicine, with 0-2A*s you'd need to finish in around the top 3-5% of BMAT scores. And for my subject - History - I even fulfilled the minimum HAT score (after working out what they said in the feedback in concurrence with other statistics that are easily accessible), yet was rejected without interview (probably on the basis of GCSEs). :sad:

Sorry, I was focussing on economics.

But I guess, the VERY competitive courses (Medicine, Law, Economics and Maths (to some extent)) require very good GCSEs as a distinguishing factor.
Reply 29
I got into Cambridge with 2.5 A*s.

Some have got in with none.

End of thread.
nuodai
I got into Cambridge with 2.5 A*s.

Some have got in with none.

End of thread.

Some have got in without A's too. But they are most certainly in a distinct minority.
Reply 31
Leicester and Lancaster: 2xA, 4xB, 4xC.
Reply 32
JayAyy

I don't think the OP will be that interested as he is not looking to apply to do econ.
But I am very interested. so link away.

The boy they were talking about in the newspaper made me laugh. Just because he got four A grades does not really guarantee you a place anywhere. It sounded like he thought he should just get a place-maybe he sounded pompous in his PS?

It is well known that privately taught students get better grades than state school children - it's what they pay for. If they were at a state school themselves it's quite likely they may not have done as well as they would not have the great resources and tutoring they pay for.
Reply 35
Paulwhy
I don't think the OP will be that interested as he is not looking to apply to do econ.
But I am very interested. so link away.

I can't seem to find the link now (Oxford have changed their website).

It said something along the lines of:

GCSEs do not matter when making a decision on choosing a candidate, but may be the determining factor between two candidates. However, if the candidate feels that they have under-performed at GCSE and done better at A level, this may also be taken into consieration (the candidate may wish to mention this in their personal statement).

Something along those lines. I'll try to check my old posts to see if it is there.
I got offers from four "top 20" unis with only 1 A* at GCSE. I also know people who have offers from "top 20" unis with no A*s at all, and barely any As.

In general I'd say GCSE grades aren't a hugely important part of the application. But of course this varies. My lack of A*s is one of the reasons I got rejected from Durham.
JayAyy

^ This does seem to be the case.

JayAyy

I think it does matter what you get at GCSE in general. Although it varies from college to college and from admissions tutor to admissions tutor, the underlying trend seems to be that a string of A*s certainly helps. I know Selwyn college say on their website how their average offer holder has 8 A*s. Saying that, there are people that get in without any.
Grapevine
I also know people who have offers from "top 20" unis with no A*s at all, and barely any As.

:hello:
Reply 39
braceface
I doubt GCSE's are important, unless you're going for Oxbridge or maybe Durham. A girl at my sixth form got into UCL for law with ABBBBBBBCCC (or something along those lines) at GCSE and AAAAC at AS level.

Seriously?
Well, my GCSE's are starting next month, but my predicted grades are 2A*, 4A's, 3B's, 1C. Would a university like UCL think that is fine for Law?
2 of my A grades were only one or two marks away from an A* so that sucked, but would a universities like Oxbridge mind that?

Latest

Trending

Trending