The Student Room Group
no... because they allow embedding anyway..
Reply 2
Knight1
Yes or NO and why?

I don't think it's against the law (literally) as you're not actually hosting the content.

On the other hand, TPB are being sued because they are encouraging copyright infringement - despite the fact they're hosting nothing.

Most hosts are unclear on the rules (there are no definite set of laws that govern this I don't think), so I would avoid it to be honest.
It is not illegal... on the contrary, they encourage embedding of videos... (YouTube that is, no clue about Megavideo)
Reply 4
Im asking becasue i was thinking of creating a site about Greys Anatomy and have each episode online which i get from other sources embedded there. As in like other people as most of you know have uploaded these videos so i just embed and make a few pounds :P
You can't use their content to make money, that is illegal.
Reply 6
john.miguel
You can't use their content to make money, that is illegal.

Well technically i am not becasue if they didnt want me to embed it then why would they have disabled embedding.
Knight1
Well technically i am not becasue if they didnt want me to embed it then why would they have disabled embedding.

YouTube TOS:

YouTube permits you to link to materials on the Website for personal, non-commercial purposes only. In addition, YouTube provides an "Embeddable Player" feature, which you may incorporate into your own personal, non-commercial websites for use in accessing the materials on the Website, provided that you include a prominent link back to the YouTube website on the pages containing the Embeddable Player. YouTube reserves the right to discontinue any aspect of the YouTube Website at any time.

There you go.
Reply 8
and Megavideo:

Megavideo
F. Megavideo Limited permits you to link to materials on the Megavideo website for personal, non-commercial purposes only. In addition, Megavideo provides an "embeddable player" feature, which you may incorporate into your own personal, non-commercial websites for use in accessing the materials contained on the Megavideo website. Megavideo Limited reserves the right to discontinue any aspect of the Megavideo website at any time and for any reason.
Reply 9
Wait so are they saying i cant embed if i have adverts??
Knight1

They're saying you can't embed them if you plan to make money out of them.
I think. :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Champagne Supernova
They're saying you can't embed them if you plan to make money out of them.
I think. :rolleyes:

Ok so how about if i dont plan to make money out of the videos but out of the OTHER content on the site.... :P
Knight1
Ok so how about if i dont plan to make money out of the videos but out of the OTHER content on the site.... :P

Your website is still commercial, so nothing changes.
Knight1

Hmmm, well, I still don't think so.
The clauses that people showed above said "non-commercial websites.
Then again, you're not making money directly from the videos.
I honestly couldn't say, but then, I wouldn't risk it. Personally.
Reply 14
So is this site illegal?
http://www.watchsmallvilleonline.com

It does not upload i think
Knight1
So is this site illegal?

Yes it is. You're watching Smallville illegally. It barely matters if it's hosted elsewhere. Only if you live in America would there be an argument to viewing it - and you have Hulu.com for that, which is a legal service provided by the US networks in order to prevent people using these sites/P2P.

On another note, I see that you're not doing the movie trailer idea any more.
Reply 16
TheTallOne
Yes it is. You're watching Smallville illegally. It barely matters if it's hosted elsewhere. Only if you live in America would there be an argument to viewing it - and you have Hulu.com for that.

On another note, I see that you're not doing the movie trailer idea any more.

I was going to but i checked and theer like hundreds of people doing it and would thus not be worth it.

I am doing another idea which will take time to finish which im not going to say now but i just want a quicker idea for now :P
I think youtube (in theory) shoudl make sure that everything that is on there is allowed - so they shouldn't allow thingsl ike TV shows to be available to UK users if its copyrighted.

That said, they have all sorts of films etc on there so its not liek they filter thigns properly.
Reply 18
Knight1

look up tvlinks.co.uk on google - basically the moral of the story was they didnt host anything but they used advertisement to make a profit hense their trouble
Clubber Lang
That said, they have all sorts of films etc on there so its not liek they filter thigns properly.

They don't have the man power to filter the videos. Several (hundreds?) of minutes are uploaded every second, so unless you employ thousands of people to watch every video, there's no feasible filter. They do use video fingerprinting. If a video is uploaded with some sound/location restrictions, or has been removed by a request by a company, the fingerprint is taken and compared with all other videos on the site. Any new videos uploaded with the exact fingerprint can't be.

So, the only real way to remove the videos is if it is reported by someone.

And any TV Show/Film from the US should not be up there. The US have a legal website to view them.

Latest

Trending

Trending