The Student Room Group
Reply 1
for english is is practice answering quesitons within the time limit?

french- learn a lot of vocab?

science - mostly memorising?

pe-just rely on luck?

geography -mostly memorising?
Reply 2
For maths get the mathwatch CD and do some past papers, trust me revising maths through a revision guide is a nightmare.
French I would also learn the tenses (or at least the basic past, present and future) as they will prove invaluable in the speaking test. Vocab is a good plan too, and will be useful in all of the language exams. For speaking and writing if you're doing it, try learning some impressive phrases. One off the top of my head "Si c'était possible" - if it were possible. This is a great way to incorporate the conditional tense into your work.

Science you could probably get away with memorising but it's better (and if you're planning to do science A Levels) to actually understand the concepts and processes.
Past papers are great too, and for sciences I would thoroughly recommend going through the specification (usually, if not always, on the board's website). Trust me - it works! I did this and managed to get very high A*s in my science modules in January (100/100 and 99/100 for Biology and Chemistry respectively).
For me, I delved into past papers as well as the CGP/Collins revis guides for the sciences and maths.
English and the Humanities was more of a taking notes from my notes in class and all that goes with it.
For French I did a mix of past papers/listening to French radio for my listening as well as picking up some French magazines for my reading aspect.

It's all up to whatever works for you OP!
Rewrite condensed notes consciously, answer questions for that section (if appropriate), try practise papers, then, finally try and mark (if it's not humanities) a past-paper.

That's the best way tbh.
It depends on what sort of person you are. I've tried notes and i end up not using them :/

I find reading helpful and then i practise questions. This is a method for myself, yours might be different. Exam papers are a good option too :yep:
Reply 8
I think past papers definitely, they let you know where your weaknesses are which you can then revise using a revision guide of your choice or notes..Plus since the format of GCSE questions is the same you'll start noticing repetition and you'll get used to the exam format, after doing lots of papers the exam should be a breeze :yep:
Maths - Past Papers
English Language - Past Papers
English Literature - Reading your novels and past papers.
Science - Glossing over the text book a couple of times
History - Past Papers and reading the text book
Geography - It is really rather easy, if you feel the need to revise you could just brush up on relevant sections with a revision guide.
Languages - Testing yourself on vocabulary lists.
Latin - Try to memorise every single grammar point, as well as the vocabulary needed for the Language paper. Plus, past papers.
For science, read a CGP GCSE revision book a night or so before the exam. Trust me, those books are the dogs...
FutureMedic!
For science, read a CGP GCSE revision book a night or so before the exam. Trust me, those books are the dogs...

Just goes to show how thin the syllabus is, really.
Unkempt_One
Just goes to show how thin the syllabus is, really.

Exactly. I'm not going to lie, the GCSE syllabus has been stupidly dumbed down over the years. Some people can't understand why they got an A* at GCSE and end up with C/D's at A Level.
past papers without doubt, and have a copy of the syllabus for each subject at hand
Reply 14
write notes is the best as it sticks best in the brain

Latest