The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's a lot more academic, as are any university courses. You spend your time scrabbling through research journals finding studies yourself as opposed to memorizing from a textbook. You have to learn APA format style and learn how to write papers academically.

It's a lot more.. "grown up".. if that makes sense.
Reply 2
A LOT more maths and statistics in the first term... be prepared
Allyx
A LOT more maths and statistics in the first term... be prepared

Oh that too.. Lots of stats.
Reply 4
The main difference I've heard is that there is a huge amount of statistics in psychology at degree level.

I think this comes as a surprise to people who assume it's going to be like the A-level.
Grapevine
The main difference I've heard is that there is a huge amount of statistics in psychology at degree level.

I think this comes as a surprise to people who assume it's going to be like the A-level.

The stats arn't too bad though, it's relatively simple stuff. As long as you have the basic understanding of maths you can learn how to do it.

If you guys want I can upload a pdf so you can see some of the formulas we use.
GodspeedGehenna
The stats arn't too bad though, it's relatively simple stuff. As long as you have the basic understanding of maths you can learn how to do it.

If you guys want I can upload a pdf so you can see some of the formulas we use.

This is probably going to sound ridiculously stupid..but is it harder than gcse maths as in you having to learn new stuff? As i am completely useless at maths although im starting psychology at cardiff in september and im starting to worry whether i wont be "clever" enough when it comes to all of the maths..
Reply 7
yeah.. it is harder than GCSE maths

Im in my first year of uni psychology and after only having a B at GCSE maths found it very hard
katechar_X
This is probably going to sound ridiculously stupid..but is it harder than gcse maths as in you having to learn new stuff? As i am completely useless at maths although im starting psychology at cardiff in september and im starting to worry whether i wont be "clever" enough when it comes to all of the maths..

It's honestly not that bad, they generally teach it from scratch.

Here's our exam formula sheet if anyone is curious
See attachment
GodspeedGehenna
It's honestly not that bad, they generally teach it from scratch.

Here's our exam formula sheet if anyone is curious
See attachment

It looks horrific :frown:
katechar_X

No no no, it's really not! Its actually quite fun. As long as you know how to tackle equations it's really not that bad. You just need to learn what the letters mean. It's easy to make Maths look difficult, but once you know what it is actually asking you, it's just a recipie.
Reply 11
Its not fun lol I hated stats my first semester it was soooo boring
Allyx
Its not fun lol I hated stats my first semester it was soooo boring

How come you only did it for one semester? We have a module dedicated to it throughout our three years. It's part of the BPS requirement.
GodspeedGehenna
No no no, it's really not! Its actually quite fun. As long as you know how to tackle equations it's really not that bad. You just need to learn what the letters mean. It's easy to make Maths look difficult, but once you know what it is actually asking you, it's just a recipie.

This is true. All those symbols can look intimidating, but, in reality, all you have to do is plug figures into a formula.
Reply 14
katechar_X

The stuff on that sheet is actually quite easy... it's just apply the same thing over and over again, so certainly don't be put of by that.
Grapevine
This is true. All those symbols can look intimidating, but, in reality, all you have to do is plug figures into a formula.

moreiniho
The stuff on that sheet is actually quite easy... it's just apply the same thing over and over again, so certainly don't be put of by that.

:yep:

It's very easy for maths to look intimidating. All you have to do is plug in the numbers.
All my friends managed with stats fine and they hadn't done maths since gcse (whereas I did A level maths). If you struggle there will be likely someone whos doing maths at degree or did it at A level who will be able to explain anything that you may find difficult!

I have 10 or 11 modules? Most of them are weighted 50% Assessment and 50% Exam. 50% assessment is a 2000 word essay or practical report (per module). The exams are often 10 short answer (3 lines) questions to which we have an hour to answer them. This is only the first year though but the second and third year will be much harder. Assessments are much different though you have to reference all the information you use from where you got it from, unlike A level where you can use facts or information you read without having to reference it back to the original source. Primary sources are also important (meaning that if you use research e.g. milgrams study your expected to get a copy of the original write up and read it through and understand it).
Reply 17
I loved a level psychology, and I love psychology at uni, I've just finished my second year (apart from exams). I wasn't keen on my degree at first it's not as spoon fed as alevel (obviously). As for the stats, first year for me, I had a stats module and we had to do some for our practicals, but there's not that much that you need to remember and things as you have examples texts books to run through if you don't understand it. I got a B at GCSE Maths but I'm not even sure how I got that as I'm pants at it, but I really haven't struggled at the stats involved, as long as you know why you're using them, and what they show you're fine. Lecturers and seminars are there to guide you and help you through.
My second year has been even more 'not spoon fed' as it were, when it comes to practicals and essays and things, but I've found this has really helped my understanding as you have to find your journals and studies, and complete your own stats. And tbh SPSS (a stats programme) does all the working out for you, you just need to follow the instructions :P
If you enjoy psychology, go for it. Do something you like.
GodspeedGehenna
How come you only did it for one semester? We have a module dedicated to it throughout our three years. It's part of the BPS requirement.

We only had stats for one semester at Exeter (first year). 11 lectures, a 2 hour exam and half of the module is made up through research credits. Exeters course is BPS accreditied. Second year and third year theres more stats though.
Reply 19
ForAllOfThis
We only had stats for one semester at Exeter (first year). 11 lectures, a 2 hour exam and half of the module is made up through research credits. Exeters course is BPS accreditied. Second year and third year theres more stats though.

Do you not do practicals and statistical analysis?

Latest