The Student Room Group

Business Birmingham v Aston

Hi,

I have got offers from Birmingham to study International Business with a language and at Aston to study Business and Management. I'm really not sure which university will be best for me as I have heard so many contrasting indications from both students and the statistics published by unistats etc. These are the basic plus and negative points I got:

+ At Birmingham I will have the language aspect which will add a new dimension to degree and will allow me to gain experience abroad. Uni also highly rated in language

+ Established redbrick uni with good name amongst employers whereas Aston, in general, is not as renowned and is part of very few groups

+ Good percentage of people achieving firsts and low flunk rate

+ It has higher entry req than aston even though aston is rated higher than business ( not really sure if this is pos or neg) yet my offer at Bham was DDM in diploma and B in A level versus DDD at Aston

+ Birmingham uni on a whole seems to be on the up with lots of investment while Aston seems to be on the way down and Aston has its preconceptions.

+ generous finance at Bham which is always a help

+ Excellent transport links at Bham.

- Lower than Aston in most league tables for business 10th ish vs 34th

- lower business grad prospects compared to Aston 64 vs 75

- Module choices perhaps not as broad

- Aston is smaller so may be easier to get teacher contact time

All these plus and negatives have been compiled by myself based on observations I have made through my research, so please correct me if I am wrong. At the end of the day im focussed on getting a good degree and at the end of it hopefully securing a job in consultancy, im not overly fussed about elitism and all the rest of it. What do u guys think would be the best choice? as I am veering towards Bham at the moment. It would also be interesting to hear from any current students at Aston or Birmingham.

Sorry for the long post and any help will be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
You do sound like you prefer Birmingham tbh. Can't be bothered to do the typical, placement year, great location etc arguement. However I don't think that the 64 v 75 grad prospects really means much, don't worry about it.
Why didn't you apply to IBAM at aston rather than just BAM if your interested in the internagtional aspect?
Reply 2
I'd say your consultancy chances are much the same at both unis.

Aston has far better transport links, purely because you don't need any, it being in the city centre and Brum being out 'in the sticks' :wink: Much of the stuff here is largely irrelevant in my opinion. The uni's only really differ in regards location and lifestyle. I'd highly recommend Aston but it is not for everyone. Visited both?
Reply 3
Well, I couldn't apply for IBAM at Aston due to them not offering my desired language which is Italian.

And yes I have visited both but it was quite difficult to make a representative conclusion as Aston provided extensive information and were evidently geared towards to business, whereas Birmingham provided a more general overview yet the open day was by no means disorganised or anything.

If the gap between the universities in business are marginal then im not really concerned, as at the moment Im worried that a wrong decision may seriously penalise me.
Reply 4
I would say neither would penalise you. You have nothing to worry about. In terms of consultancy, not to say it is impossible but, I myself haven't got any examples of anyone getting into the top tier strategy consultancies such as Bain, BCG, etc from Aston - but Accenture, Deloitte, CapG, E&Y, PwC, IBM GBS, and so on so forth all actively recruit from Aston. Getting into this sort of sphere is, to my experience, pretty much up to your own personal drive and less to do with your choice of university, especially when there is not too much between the pair.
Reply 5
Thanks for your responses. Anybody else got any ideas?

Latest

Trending

Trending