The Student Room Group

Going to university as a mature student

Hi all, I'm just wanting a few opinions on a situation im in.

Im 19 years old at the minute a currently employed in a retail job. I left school in June 2008 and currently I hold a uni place for Sept 2009. (i deferred the place to give me more time to consider my career options, i have always been very academically strong, yet unsure of my career direction. I couldnt wait to leave school to get a year out, in order to get work experience, also as i had major health problems in my final 2 years of school).

Im strongly considering not taking this place, as I'd like to possibly try other A-levels (more scientific subjects) to apply for a different type of uni course in the future, therefore taking my career in a totally different direction.

What I'm asking this for is some opinions/facts on what its like to go to uni at the age of 21, which would be the case if I did make this change.

* is there anyone out there who has entered university a bit later and life, and can tell me what is like as a mature student?

* can anyone tell me if it would be hard to make friends as I will be 21 years old upon starting a course with a large group of 18/19 year olds. I have the idea in my head that I may face persecution from fellow students for being 'the older guy' and will not experience any social life due to my age.

Another side of me says not to give a toss about the social side, as at the end of the day the qualifications on paper is the only thing that matters, even if it means i have to feel uncomfortable in my classes due to my age.

Any opinions and feedback based on your experiences of uni would be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Going to uni at 21 isnt a problem. I was 33 when I went for the first time and nobody batted an eyelid. Socially its also nothing, you will still go out as much as an 18 yr old. Age is just a number........and at uni no one seems to care about your age. I had friends ranging from 18 - 40 odd.
21 probably wont make the slightest bit of difference to be honest, I know lots of people who were in halls as a first year who were anything from 17-24/25. No one really takes any notice. As long as youre a nice person, and you arnt trying to be anyones mum/dad then you'll be fine.
Reply 3
21 isn't a big deal at all, when you said mature student, I thought this would've been written by a 30 or 40 year old. don't worry about it! take time if you need it.
Reply 4
lol 21!! thats young!! im 25 and going to UNI this September to study law!! You have nothing to worry about!!!
Reply 5
Ha im 27 going back to college, after doing 8 years of work. It makes me laugh when they put a post up saying 'am i to old i am in my 20s' just remember men peak in their late 20s early
30s, and dont forget you dont retire till your 60 something so you have plenty of time
Reply 6
bootneck1
Ha im 27 going back to college, after doing 8 years of work. It makes me laugh when they put a post up saying 'am i to old i am in my 20s' just remember men peak in their late 20s early
30s, and dont forget you dont retire till your 60 something so you have plenty of time

Ditto, 26 here and it's great knowing the best days are still ahead.

Also

"
* can anyone tell me if it would be hard to make friends as I will be 21 years old upon starting a course with a large group of 18/19 year olds."

Honestly, no one will notice / care.
Reply 7
sallen
Ditto, 26 here and it's great knowing the best days are still ahead.

Also

"
* can anyone tell me if it would be hard to make friends as I will be 21 years old upon starting a course with a large group of 18/19 year olds."

Honestly, no one will notice / care.

I have been thinking about that, but im just gonna go the student gym, lol
Reply 8
Lawstude
lol 21!! thats young!! im 25 and going to UNI this September to study law!! You have nothing to worry about!!!

Jebus, law! I have a 30 yr old fella I have recently trained up studying law, long course! Apparently people get into it late as its so expensive to complete? maybe im wrong.

Im glad someone started this thread, I'll be 23 when I start the first of my 3 years in September and I was flapping (not fapping) a little bit about being too old.

Ive already been through 3 years of college (on a completely unrelated subject) which I pretty much failed and then have been in employment for a further 2 years! Really glad to see people are 25 and 27 starting uni
Reply 9
bloomblaze

Im 19 years old at the minute a currently employed in a retail job. I left school in June 2008 and currently I hold a uni place for Sept 2009. (i deferred the place to give me more time to consider my career options, i have always been very academically strong, yet unsure of my career direction. I couldnt wait to leave school to get a year out, in order to get work experience, also as i had major health problems in my final 2 years of school).

Im strongly considering not taking this place, as I'd like to possibly try other A-levels (more scientific subjects) to apply for a different type of uni course in the future, therefore taking my career in a totally different direction.

What I'm asking this for is some opinions/facts on what its like to go to uni at the age of 21, which would be the case if I did make this change.

* is there anyone out there who has entered university a bit later and life, and can tell me what is like as a mature student?

* can anyone tell me if it would be hard to make friends as I will be 21 years old upon starting a course with a large group of 18/19 year olds. I have the idea in my head that I may face persecution from fellow students for being 'the older guy' and will not experience any social life due to my age.

Another side of me says not to give a toss about the social side, as at the end of the day the qualifications on paper is the only thing that matters, even if it means i have to feel uncomfortable in my classes due to my age.

Any opinions and feedback based on your experiences of uni would be much appreciated.

at 19 you'll be no way the 'oldest' theres loads of kids who deferred for a year and there's lots of students above 21 all the way upto 30.

Stop worrying about nothing.
Reply 10
Im 23, going to be 24 when I start.

Not worried, at the end of the day, im going to get the qualification, not to worry about what other people think of me.

I'm sure you will rock, why dont you just go for it if you want it?
Reply 11
Well i hope that your ok as I'm 33 and I'm starting in September - but to be honest i'm not that worried about making friends as i'm there to study - although I probably go out as much if not more than an 18 year old although that will have to calm down now that i'm going to be living on less money. It is great that you are going and if I were you I wouldn't worry about the age thing
Reply 12
I don't intend going out much, and am slightly worried that I will be frowned upon, but I will hopefully be working or studying. I also don't enjoy going out and gettin steamingly drunk. Anyone any advice?
Reply 13
bloomblaze

OMG stop worrying about your age lol I am going to Huddersfield to do Adult Nursing and Im 52yrs YOUNG I am sooo looking forward to the whole experience so stop worrying and just enjoy yourself xx
Reply 14
I don't know why, but alot of 21-23 year olds on this forum seem to think they are ancient and worlds apart from 18 year old. You are NOT OLD!!

Maybe I felt that way when I was 21, but it was last century and can't remember that far back :redface:)
Roodie
I don't know why, but alot of 21-23 year olds on this forum seem to think they are ancient and worlds apart from 18 year old. You are NOT OLD!!

Maybe I felt that way when I was 21, but it was last century and can't remember that far back :redface:)

You have nothing to worry about agewise i dont consider 21,even 22,or 23 old at all and its not ancient i am sure you will fit right in.I still feel 21 and i am in my late 30s and it does bother me one bit.I intend to take part in all the university activities whilst i am studying:yep:
lindafox
OMG stop worrying about your age lol I am going to Huddersfield to do Adult Nursing and Im 52yrs YOUNG I am sooo looking forward to the whole experience so stop worrying and just enjoy yourself xx

lindafox well done u on gaining a place at Huddersfield,enjoy your time there,three years will i can assure u just fly by
Reply 17
ZakBrannigan
lindafox well done u on gaining a place at Huddersfield,enjoy your time there,three years will i can assure u just fly by

AWWW thank you Zak i am sure i will and can not wait for September lol. mwahhhh
lindafox
AWWW thank you Zak i am sure i will and can not wait for September lol. mwahhhh

You welcome lindafox.I am sure u will be a terrific nurse.:yep:
You might find this short article "Mature Students - University Certainly Is For You" useful:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/947553/Mature-Students

Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending