The Student Room Group

How to really bring up my maths grade?

At the beginning of yr10 I was predicted an A* at GCSE Maths, and got an A in yr10 exams but dropped to a B for the January mock this year.

I'd really like to aim for an A* in the end but I'm just not sure if its realistic
I did a lot of past papers in the past few weeks, even getting 90% or so when I tested myself on one but I'm worried I'll end up with a C in the non-calculator paper as I did in my mock because my understanding hasn't improved greatly.

Any ideas on how to revise effectively/re-teach myself certain maths topics? Maths was never my strong point but I'm not content to just leave at the fact that A* students are those who take to the subject naturally...surely those that have to work for it can get there too? :p:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
MathsWatch CD.
practice it's all you can do :smile: do a paper or two every day and do every question in the book
In this case, it's probably best you use explanatory resources like Bitesize or this fabled MathsWatch CD. Once you've revised a fair amount, you should look into doing some past papers.
Reply 4
BeckyIsOptimistic

Any ideas on how to revise effectively/re-teach myself certain maths topics? Maths was never my strong point but I'm not content to just leave at the fact that A* students are those who take to the subject naturally...surely those that have to work for it can get there too? :p:

Use this to help revise some of the A/A* topics
10-4-10 Materials.pdf

If you are doing Edexcel then this is a great exam practice resource using real past questions organised by subject and accompanied by worked answers on CD
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781846900099/Edexcel-Topic-Tutor

And if really serious about A* and maybe going on to AS level then this provides practice on all the tricky pure maths content.
00 Starting AS with confidence 2008 booklet.pdf
Reply 5
Practice practice practice. gdunne42 has given you a fantastic bunch of resources so use them all.

Don't worry about mock grades - I got Bs in most/all of my January mocks and came out with 4A* and 6As.

You'll be fine.
Reply 6
i got an E in my maths mock and revised like mad and got an A* so you'll be fine :smile:
MathsWatch CD. :cool:
Reply 8
Lgold92
i got an E in my maths mock and revised like mad and got an A* so you'll be fine :smile:

wow really, how did you do that? Tips will be extermly useful
Reply 9
Practice makes perfect.

Just do as many past papers as you can, and learn from the mistakes you make. I got a C in my mock, and ended up getting 95% in the live unit so don't worry about it, just work hard!

Good luck!
Reply 10
zeb191
Practice makes perfect.

Just do as many past papers as you can, and learn from the mistakes you make. I got a C in my mock, and ended up getting 95% in the live unit so don't worry about it, just work hard!

Good luck!

wow really, how tips will be useful?

I gt an A in my mock exam, but am really pesimstic about getting an A*
Reply 11
Definitely.

Past papers are the key to maths exam success. I did every single one possible (AQA), including some from other exam boards!
I got an A* in the end for GCSE.

Don't stop there though! For A level, I did every single Core 1 paper for AQA. In the exam, I got an A - 95/100!

PAST PAPERS = SUCCESS

Edit : IF YOU ARE STUCK, ASK THE TEACHER. THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON!
Reply 12
Go through your text book
do the last 5 questions of each excersise
do TONNES of past papers i mean i was worried about getting a B last year and then i went into the exam and the paper was like a SATS paper...thats how you will feel once you get used to it. Trust me A* is very ahcievable
Thanks for all your help & advice everyone :smile:
I'll continue with all the past papers & persevere with it
Reply 14
FYI
if u r doing AQA the most recent papers were just posted on their web site:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcses/maths_ict/current/maths_materials.php?id=01&prev=01>#
Wow I just got MathsWatch It is Amazing!
dumbgeek
wow really, how tips will be useful?

I gt an A in my mock exam, but am really pesimstic about getting an A*

I think you mean optimistic. :yep:
furry747
Definitely.

Past papers are the key to maths exam success. I did every single one possible (AQA), including some from other exam boards!
I got an A* in the end for GCSE.

Don't stop there though! For A level, I did every single Core 1 paper for AQA. In the exam, I got an A - 95/100!

PAST PAPERS = SUCCESS

Edit : IF YOU ARE STUCK, ASK THE TEACHER. THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON!

I thought they were there to pick up their fairly large pay packets. :woo:
Deep456
I thought they were there to pick up their fairly large pay packets. :woo:

Teachers hardly receive a large pay packet for half the rubbish they have to deal with, many of them could of went and got better paying jobs in the profession they teach in. Many teach because they want to.
Reply 19
i got a cgp maths revision guide and highlighted it all and made revision cards on each topic i also used bitesize and i dropped, p.e, r.e and p.s.h.e because i werent even sitting exams in them and i could do extra maths lessons at school in them frees

Latest