The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering in UCL, Loughborough, Edinburgh or Manchester?

hey guys,

i am in a dilemma and i really need your help.
i've got offers from all 4 unis and i've kinda narrowed it down to ucl and loughborough. ucl has a higher reputation but i've been hearing quite a lot about how the engineering there is in the dumps. loughborough is higher ranked for mech eng and its course structure and "voted uk's no. 1 student experience" attracts me but it's not as prestigious as ucl. i've been reading that loughborough's rep in the industry is rising and that employers would surely recognize it but i've also been hearing a lot about how getting into a uni as famous as ucl would really contribute a lot of weight to employment as well.

so i guess i'm deciding between uni rep and uni education. i'm fine with either the city life or campus life.

any ucl/loughborough mech eng students out there who would want to share their thoughts?
Reply 1
Loughborough's reputation in industry is fantastic and in the end that is what matter most. Certainly, we have more industry connections than UCL (I am pretty sure about this) and this is more important than ucl's "higher reputation" which is probably higher for everything else but engineering (where it is the opposite)...

Latest