The Student Room Group

Unit 1 PSYA1 AQA AS Psychology!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Makaveli_The_Don
What did everybody write for the extraneous variables question?

Intelligence. Then said you could use the matched pair design to balance out the IQ levels..
Reply 101
piece_by_piece
It couldn't have been the mode since there was no number that appeared twice. Hence, I'm sure you could have either put the mean or median as long as you justified your answer.

How did you justify your answer?
I put median then went on to actually calculate it :rolleyes:
Reply 102
Im still confused about the 12 mark question. IT only said outline and evaluate research, so im guessing that findings wouldnt get any marks??? also how could you include the yerkes dodson law etc into that??
kevtp
How did everyone do in the essay question on Eye-Witness Testimony?

I included: the Yerkes-Dodson law, Weapon-focus effect, Yuille and Cutshall's armed robbery EWT interviews and somehow added in leading questions which seems quite irrelevant now that I think about it..

I didn't mention Misleading questions or age into the question. I mentioned:

Loftus' Weapon Effect
Loftus and Burns- (The one where the boy got shot in the face)
Yerkes Dodson Law
Christianson and Hubinette
Alexander
And I evaluated them as much as possible.

For the extraneous variable question I said that individual differences like intelligence, would be a problem and that this can be solved by using either a matched pairs design or a repeated measures design.

For the measure of central tendency question I chose the median because there were a couple of extreme scores which could have affected the mean. But with justification I'm sure the mean would have been fine to pick aswell. EDIT: I wrote the mean first then marked it incorrect, but I said it was a sensitive measure taking all the scores into account.

The Lucas question I mentioned Hodges and Tizard too, the disinhibited attachement and elaborated.

The demand characteristics question was horrible, even my teachers said it wasn't good. 3 marks? Too much for that. It wasn't really clear what it was asking for. I put social desirability, the mother acting kinder towards the baby because thats what she thinks the experimenter would want to see and so she looks better etc. I don't think it was enough for three though... Because the baby certainly can't show demand characteristics!

I don't understand how the first question could be 3+3 marks... All I could think of doing was stating the technique, explaining it a bit and giving an example...

Overall, not a bad paper, however the january one was easier, which we did as a mock. It had a 12 marker on Bowlby's theory and the learning theory darn it! :rolleyes: Nothing on MSM, hardly anything really on memory itself...
Reply 104
I also included Yerkes and Dodson because for a witness to have optimum performance they need the right amount of anxiety, too little and they forget and too much anxiety will also cause them to forget...it was my last point as I was annoyed at the question and searching for marks :wink:

For central tendancy you can justify mean by saying that by using all the data...thinking about it now maybe I won't have got a mark as I justified it by saying it accounts for anomalous...what a muppet!!!!
needssomehelp
I was expecting soo much more on BOWLBY and LEARNING THEORYY!!! The 12 marker was a downer, i guess if u hadnt revised it, you were screwed!! But i think i made a load of crap up tbh!
Omg theres soo much i learned that didnt come up!!..Dont u hate it when that happens!?
The extrenous thing i missed out! .. ddnt understand it at all!

Bowlby and the Learning Theory was the 12 marker in January.
emmalive
Im still confused about the 12 mark question. IT only said outline and evaluate research, so im guessing that findings wouldnt get any marks??? also how could you include the yerkes dodson law etc into that??

Loftus' weapon effect was the main one I think most people used. Its possible to evaluate that (lab experiment- lacks ecological validity etc). I included Yerkes Dodson Law into the evaluation as it contradicts that said by Christianson and Hubinette. I think a few people may have included findings as ways the support or oppose research/experiments.
Puppet Strings
Erh, I hated the paper.
The January Unit 1 one was so much easier, damn it.

Ah well, good job I did well in January so sort of can afford to lose marks..

How comes you were doing unit 1 again if you did well the first time?
Reply 108
HighSkies
I didn't mention Misleading questions or age into the question. I mentioned:

Loftus' Weapon Effect
Loftus and Burns- (The one where the boy got shot in the face)
Yerkes Dodson Law
Christianson and Hubinette
Alexander
And I evaluated them as much as possible.

For the extraneous variable question I said that individual differences like intelligence, would be a problem and that this can be solved by using either a matched pairs design or a repeated measures design.

For the measure of central tendency question I chose the median because there were a couple of extreme scores which could have affected the mean. But with justification I'm sure the mean would have been fine to pick aswell.

The Lucas question I mentioned Hodges and Tizard too, the disinhibited attachement and elaborated.

The demand characteristics question was horrible, even my teachers said it wasn't good. 3 marks? Too much for that. It wasn't really clear what it was asking for. I put social desirability, the mother acting kinder towards the baby because thats what she thinks the experimenter would want to see and so she looks better etc. I don't think it was enough for three though... Because the baby certainly can't show demand characteristics!

I don't understand how the first question could be 3+3 marks... All I could think of doing was stating the technique, explaining it a bit and giving an example...

Overall, not a bad paper, however the january one was easier, which we did as a mock. It had a 12 marker on Bowlby's theory and the learning theory darn it! :rolleyes: Nothing on MSM, hardly anything really on memory itself...

oh wow... you know you could have got away with only outlining one of those experiments then within the evaluation all you had to do is compare them with other experiments.... to be in the safe spot you could have outlined 2 case studies and for the evaluation jus compare them that would have easily given if not all most marks
Reply 109
I thought it was an alright exam...I just forgot names of studies...! I hope this doesn't affect me!!!
Dimitrib
oh wow... you know you could have got away with only outlining one of those experiments then within the evaluation all you had to do is compare them with other experiments.... to be in the safe spot you could have outlined 2 case studies and for the evaluation jus compare them that would have easily given if not all most marks

I had a lot of extra space and some time to spare at the end. :p:

Case studies? For what?
Reply 111
HighSkies
I had a lot of extra space and some time to spare at the end. :p:

Case studies? For what?

sorry let me rephrase - experiments
Reply 112
jelly1000
Bowlby and the Learning Theory was the 12 marker in January.

That was almost ignored in this exam..
kevtp
How did you justify your answer?
I put median then went on to actually calculate it :rolleyes:

I put the mean and said that it takes all of the values into account.
Reply 114
piece_by_piece
I put the mean and said that it takes all of the values into account.

it may or it may not be wrong, because there were extreme values which would affect the mean... so we really just need to see the marking scheme to see which was right and wrong :P
Dimitrib
it may or it may not be wrong, because there were extreme values which would affect the mean... so we really just need to see the marking scheme to see which was right and wrong :P

I don't think it is wrong since so many people on this thread wrote that and my teacher said it was an acceptable answer. Even if it was wrong I really don't care, it was only 2 marks.
Reply 116
ye it does depend on the answer they are looking for... so jus hope for the best :smile:
i'm doing friday's :frown: unit 2 is the best one for me, i just don't understand the whole research methods part, so i'm glad it's KIND of out the way :frown:
plus i have my eng lit&lang exam on friday which i'm really not looking forward to :frown:
Reply 118
lol fridays is the one im actually worried about.... this exam wasnt what id expect of it and i was pretty confident in it to...

oh well best of luck until fri - alot of studying to do :smile:
jelly1000
How comes you were doing unit 1 again if you did well the first time?

Oh, sorry for the confusion.
I took Unit 2 in Jan, and took Unit 1 this week. :smile:
What I'm saying is the paper everyone else took in Unit 1 in Jan was easier than the one I took on Weds, in my opinion, but that I did well on the Unit 2 paper in Jan.
xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending