The Student Room Group

"Teaching" locations ...

hi

I'm considering applying to Oxbridge and am beginning to look into colleges. For Oxford, having looked at a departmental map and compared it to a college location map I began to look at some colleges in close proximity to the engineering department (I'm wanting to do General Engineering/Engineering Science). I'm wondering if, other than the college, the actual department for the chosen course would be where the majority of lectures/study takes place? Or is there likely to be some visits to other departments? I presume the answers will be the same for Cambridge also?

Any other suggestions for college selection would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thanks
Mitch.
Reply 1
Mitch92uK
hi

I'm considering applying to Oxbridge and am beginning to look into colleges. For Oxford, having looked at a departmental map and compared it to a college location map I began to look at some colleges in close proximity to the engineering department (I'm wanting to do General Engineering/Engineering Science). I'm wondering if, other than the college, the actual department for the chosen course would be where the majority of lectures/study takes place? Or is there likely to be some visits to other departments? I presume the answers will be the same for Cambridge also?

Any other suggestions for college selection would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thanks
Mitch.

If it ain't too much trouble for you, pop down for both Open days and have a look around, that's the best way to choose. Speaking to current students, and having a look around for yourself.
At Oxford, teaching other than tutorials is in the largely in the Thom Building itself. Obviously, if you take the EEM course you'll spend a lot of time at the Said Business School.

I'd definitely not advise choosing a college based on location, though. The distances involved are generally quite short and there must be other important factors, unless you are disabled.
Reply 3
xinolisss
If it ain't too much trouble for you, pop down for both Open days and have a look around, that's the best way to choose. Speaking to current students, and having a look around for yourself.

I will be gonig to both open days yeah, but I was wanting to go to each with an idea of which colleges I'd want to look at in more detail.

Good bloke
At Oxford, teaching other than tutorials is in the largely in the Thom Building itself. Obviously, if you take the EEM course you'll spend a lot of time at the Said Business School.

I'd definitely not advise choosing a college based on location, though. The distances involved are generally quite short and there must be other important factors, unless you are disabled.

Hey Good bloke, I was just using the locations as a starting point for beginning to narrow down my college selection. I'm not disabled no, could you give us some other important factors I should consider also please? I'm thinking extra-curriculars, background prefences (state school), accommodation etc.?
The usual obvious factors are sports, societies and accommodation, but each individual will have personal preferences that may be important.
Reply 5
To be honest in Cambridge at least, location is probably as good reason as any even if the distances involved are quite short. Obviously if there is a particular sport you want to do then some colleges will be more suitable and some might not have teams in some sports. But in most cases the decision seems fairly arbitrary
Reply 6
When thinking about a college's location, always bear in mind where you'll actually be living. For example, Jesus College Oxford is extremely central, but after first year you're going to be living a fair old distance away to the the north or east.

Latest

Trending

Trending